List Nintendo games with a "achievement system"

#51DoramiPosted 6/30/2013 10:41:19 PM
Xenesis Xenon posted...
With an extrinsic reward, the game just becomes 'that task you do' to get the extrinsic reward which tends to make it less enjoyable over time.

If the intrinsic reward of a task is somehow reduced because you are given an extrinsic reward for doing it, then the intrinsic reward of the task isn't good enough to make the task worth doing without the extrinsic reward.

I don't care if there are achievements marking what I like to do in the game. What I like to do is not affected because the developer decided to put some markers to indicate to others what interesting tasks there might be to do in a game.

What I do care about is when the achievements actually intrude on the experience. Take Ico for example. It's a heavily atmospheric game that immerses the player in a confined castle, with excellent use of light and shadows to build the ruined setting. The HD collection decided to put in trophy popups during the game. There goes the immersion.
---
"Why do ppl say Steam/PC has DRM? The only thing steam does is prevent piracy, and there's nothing wrong with that." - Oil_Rope_Bombs
#52MES_SeelePosted 6/30/2013 11:24:10 PM(edited)
Xenoblade Chronicles
Devil Survivor 1 and 2
That's all I can think of. I suppose achievements for me was along the lines of feeling compelled to go for 100% item book/ compendium whatever completion when you knew there was no reason to. Only difference was that you got no medal or reward, only a warm feeling.
---
Only with strength can one endure suffering and torment.
FC: 5300-8372-0574
#53VyersPosted 6/30/2013 11:26:11 PM
Advance Wars: Dual Strike.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!
#54cb52211Posted 6/30/2013 11:33:27 PM
Melee
Brawl
Matroid Prime Trilogy
Kirby Air Ride
Xenoblade

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Personally, I don't care. I usually just ignore achievements and play the game how I want to play it.
#55VyersPosted 7/1/2013 12:28:56 AM
Meteos.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!
#56papermonkey21Posted 7/1/2013 12:38:10 AM
How did I know this topic would devolve into an achievement bash fest from people who never played a system with actual current innovations
---
POWERFAQS
#57boysrus72Posted 7/1/2013 12:43:31 PM
Dorami posted...
Xenesis Xenon posted...
With an extrinsic reward, the game just becomes 'that task you do' to get the extrinsic reward which tends to make it less enjoyable over time.

If the intrinsic reward of a task is somehow reduced because you are given an extrinsic reward for doing it, then the intrinsic reward of the task isn't good enough to make the task worth doing without the extrinsic reward.

I don't care if there are achievements marking what I like to do in the game. What I like to do is not affected because the developer decided to put some markers to indicate to others what interesting tasks there might be to do in a game.

What I do care about is when the achievements actually intrude on the experience. Take Ico for example. It's a heavily atmospheric game that immerses the player in a confined castle, with excellent use of light and shadows to build the ruined setting. The HD collection decided to put in trophy popups during the game. There goes the immersion.

You can turn off the pop ups now.
---
Think about it.
#58The_Shadow_LinkPosted 7/1/2013 1:32:08 PM
Essentially every counter-argument to achievements has been negated now so I see no reason why not to use them. Espicially considering how a number of notable Nintendo Games do use them.

Wii Sports Resort
Nintendoland
Xenoblade Chronicles

Xenoblade did it like Uncharted 2 which I quite like. Uncharted 2 gave you money to buy extra's with it's achievements. Giving you more money for the harder achievements to get. Xenoblade likewise gives you experience for doing it's achievements, again, harder the achievement, more experience you get. I like achievements done like this, a number of other games do it as well like Borderlands for example.

Seriously, someone give me a reason why Achievements are bad. There's only one pontential one I can think of (Player stops playing game once they get all achievements) and even then, that comes down to the player itself.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#59arvilinoPosted 7/1/2013 1:58:45 PM(edited)
boysrus72 posted...
manmouse posted...
boysrus72 posted...
In this topic: Nintendo fanboys who hate anything a Nintendo console doesn't have.

yeah because after typing tons of paragraphs on previous pages of well thought out justification for why i prefer what i prefer, it can all translate down to: "oumg i luv that Nintendu dosnt have achements i hat them"

troll somewhere else.

Achievements and trophies do provide a sense of accomplishment though. And games like Uncharted and The Last of Us do allow you to unlock picture galleries and costume skins alongside the trophies. I really can't grasp as to why they make a game worse. A lot of people, and I mean a lot, enjoy them immensely and I can't help but think you would too if they appeared on the Wii U.

But there doesn't need to be an achievement system for that to happen. As early as the original Gameboy you had unlocks for achieving certain things, For example Game and Watch Gallery had classic games to unlock by achieving certain point scores in games.

Unless you count the stars(I think 1 per 200 points scored) next to the games on the menu screen for the point total as achievements, in which case achievements originated from Nintendo.
#60TannerCKGPosted 7/1/2013 5:27:34 PM
Super Mario Bros.

I get the level 1-2 achievement if I reach the end of level 1-1
---
"Times are gone for honest men and sometimes far too long for snakes"