Questions about the Wii U, VC/Wii-ware and the difference between Wii and Wii U

#1fires_trustPosted 6/30/2013 7:08:16 PM
Hi, to start off small, I bought a Wii. It was fun. I enjoyed SSBB, ACCF and Mario Kart Wii among various other great games. I downloaded a bunch of VC games and some Wii-ware games trying to get the most out of my first next gen system. Eventually I sold it and bought the other 2 systems and focused on those for the remainder of their era. Recently I've been gaining more and more interest in the Wii U, and have decided to look more what the Wii U has to offer.

First, I was wondering if the digital games (Wii-ware and Virtual Console) I bought for the Wii can be re-downloaded to my new Wii U even though they are different systems.

Second, is the community any better? I hated the friend code system on the Wii and 3DS but I don't have any friends interested in Wii U so is it easier to find a game and make online friends? Or is everyone I add to my friendslist going to be off GameFAQs?

Third, If I have four of the new Wii U tablet things, does having Wii-motes really matter? Seems like you could do everything on the tablet.

Also, if I have a 3DS, is there anything special they can do to connect? I know the Wii and original DS could but it wasnt anything cool. Download a demo but it was over when you turned your Wii off.
---
XBL Gamertag : El LocoSmoko420
PSN Account : El_LocoSmoko420
#2Baha05Posted 6/30/2013 7:12:52 PM
fires_trust posted...
First, I was wondering if the digital games (Wii-ware and Virtual Console) I bought for the Wii can be re-downloaded to my new Wii U even though they are different systems.

Second, is the community any better? I hated the friend code system on the Wii and 3DS but I don't have any friends interested in Wii U so is it easier to find a game and make online friends? Or is everyone I add to my friendslist going to be off GameFAQs?

Third, If I have four of the new Wii U tablet things, does having Wii-motes really matter? Seems like you could do everything on the tablet.

Also, if I have a 3DS, is there anything special they can do to connect? I know the Wii and original DS could but it wasnt anything cool. Download a demo but it was over when you turned your Wii off.

1. No all of those games on the Wii is tied to the Wii. The Wii lacks an account system to really do anything with it.

2. Yeah it's much better, it has user accounts. They still need to work on it though but it's better.

3. The Wii U only supports one tablet at the moment and at some point it'll support two. You cannot buy separate tablet controllers at this time.

4. There isn't a lot with Wii U/3DS use. You can transfer you 3DS Mii to the Wii U and Monster Hunter Ultimate 3 uses it for save transfer.
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#3pokemega32Posted 6/30/2013 7:13:17 PM
fires_trust posted...

You can transfer all of your Wii data onto the Wii U and play all of your digital games on Wii Mode.

You can only connect one Wii U Game Pad to the console.
---
When life gives you melons, you know you're dyslexic.
#4picanoPosted 6/30/2013 7:13:28 PM
1) You sold your wii? You're out of luck then.

2) NNID's are much easier to communicate with people since you now get to chose your name. The
miiverse community isn't bad for finding people to play with --- but honestly, I haven't done so myself.

3) You can not have 4 tablets. Right now no game supports more than 1. For other games, you'll have to check their info (usually on the back of the box) to see what and how many of each controller.

4) Some games have connectivity (monster hunter, if you own both games, can transfer saves back and forth) --- but right now officially its not much more than being able to transfer miis.
#5YamiYugi4400Posted 6/30/2013 7:14:04 PM
you can only use 1 wii u tablet currently

or maybe its 2 tablets but they don't sell them

one of those
---
Exodia - Obliterate!!!
#6Ryan SiPosted 6/30/2013 7:51:55 PM
You will need your Wii console to transfer/re-download any VC games you bought. Otherwise, you're out of luck because Nintendo would have no way to confirm which games you actually paid for.
---
Currently Playing: Pikmin 2 (Wii), Pandora's Tower (Wii), Super Meat Boy (PC)
#7DBPanterAPosted 6/30/2013 8:47:14 PM
In regards to the 3DS and Wii U: Unfortunately as an owner of both devices, there isn't much interaction between the devices besides what is mentioned above. I honestly wish they had a unified account system because they sell many of the same games on both devices, and I don't feel like buying the game twice.

I recommend to everyone that if you ever have a chance to speak with a Nintendo rep to suggest there should be more connectivity possibilities. The fact is that Japan is the only market in the world in which hand held gaming dominates. I personally think the 3DS is great, I just don't feel like purchasing games on both consoles. Heck I wouldn't even need to have save states being cross-platform, the game would be enough.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036