5 Rules for Working at Gamestop

#1jillwarrenPosted 7/1/2013 12:03:29 AM
Okay, here are my 5 rules for working at Gamestop, inspired by my recent experiences in them.

1: Do not actively bash a system which someone is trying to buy from you. When I preordered my Wii-U, the Gamestop manager at my home store went out of his way to be helpful, and has continued to do so. Other employees there seem interested as well. Other Gamestops I have been at have bashed the system, and argued with me about games I wanted (why get Darksiders 2 on the Wii-U). That is why I have ONE Gamestop I go to regularly; they seem to be the only people who want me to buy things.If someone WANTS to buy a system, TAKE THEIR MONEY!

2: Do not "bash" a system you sell. Why on earth do you want to tell a customer you are selling crap? When someone comes up to you this holiday season, you should be able to adequately explain both why you prefer (insert preferred system) to the Wii-U AND explain the features the Wii-U offers. If people are confused then explain.

3: Do not assume people know more about Sony or Microsoft systems than Nintendo ones. Despite the hilarious attempts at explaining that the Wii only sold because of Grannies and soccer moms, the fact is that these same people are buying a huge chunk of PS3s and 360s, and will also be buying the PS4s and X-Box 1s. If they want to buy something, don't try to "inform" them out of it. The one thing they know is what the kids have been begging for's name is.

4: If you are going to compare products, know what you are talking about. Saying the Wii-U has "no online" is wrong. When people figure out you are not telling you the whole truth they stop trusting you and buying from you.

5: Have a computer available so you can check out info for games you don't understand. It is too hard to keep up with everygame in existence. If someone is asking about a game then they are almost always at least considering buying that game. A quick look somewhere like gamefaqs can help.

At the end of the day, no matter what you think about it, let people buy stuff from you! it doesn't matter if they are grandmothers wasting their money on games you don't like. Don't be like the guy trying to talk people out of buying Halo: Reach I say the other night; just sell the blasted game!
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I give God all glory. Just so you know, I am a guy; my wife picked this username.
#2Oni_TaedoPosted 7/1/2013 12:13:23 AM
So essentially, state facts, NOT opinions.

If someone asks whether the PS4 is more powerful than the XBone, you are not to go into a long winded rant on how the XBone is "OMFGLAWLZMEHAMEHADOUKENSUPERIOR!!!", but to answer them with a simple yes.

You are to be honest, not trying to spout lies, such as "Wii U has no Cawwa Dooty" or other such nonsense.

Do I have that right?

As a side note, I'm a chef. In my line of work, I have to appear and almost act as if I'm much better than the customer. As if I'm a god, and they're a peasant beneath me (they are, but that's HARDLY the point). I believe Gamestop employees are trying to do this, but end up coming off as complete ass-hats.

Ramming your opinion down someone's throat is unprofessional. I had a guy at a local pawn shop try to force his love for CoD down my throat, and tried to berate me when I said I wasn't a big fan of the series. Even going so far as to try to insult my intellect for the game I was going to purchase (TMNT 3 for the NGC, but purely for the arcade perfect port of Turtles in Time). I reported him to his manager, and got the game at another pawn shop a bit further down the street, and for a lower price too.
---
TvC Friend Code: 4598-2098-0537
PSN ID: Oni_Ishida
#3diggyfreshPosted 7/1/2013 12:48:30 AM(edited)
Gamestop is an idiot company.

I went to return a defective game the day after I bought it and gamestop refused to refund me. Gamestop told me to contact the publisher and get a replacement from the publisher after the publisher fixes the defect. I was like WTF?

I told them I bought the game from gamestop, and gamestop should refund me because I'm their customer and I have no business with the publisher of the game. Gamestop then made me wait over an hour to speak to a manager.

In the meantime, I asked if the other copies of the game in stock were also defective. The employee said all the copies were defective. (I later verified this to be true.) I noticed they still had the game for sale though. I asked if they were still selling the game despite its known defect. They said yes. I was shocked. They were intentionally ripping off customers!

This was all corporate policy too, I found out the manager's hands were tied. He knew it was a scam, but couldn't do anything about it.

That was the last time I voluntarily went to a gamestop. In the past 6 years I've maybe bought 3 games from gamestop, and only because I couldn't get those titles someplace else.

TL;DR - You can't trust gamestop. Don't shop there.
---
CURRENTLY PLAYING:: Metroid Prime Trilogy
PROGRESS:: MP1 @ 80%
#4Banjo2553Posted 7/1/2013 12:42:11 AM
Those are good tips, don't get me wrong, but it basically boils down to "the customer is always right" in a sense. You treat the customer well and they will continue shopping at your store. You mistreat them, and you not only lose that sale but lots of other potential sales as the customer will tell his friends or other people to not shop at that store.

Unless they ask, they're not gonna care if their purchase is the "right thing" to do or not.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#5TheUnboundOnePosted 7/1/2013 12:48:42 AM
Working at a GameStop is a minimum wage range job just like working at McDonalds. Call yourself lucky if they manage to put the right game in the bag and don't steal your credit card numbers.
---
Truth is only known once you step outside the information bubble.
#6Phasmatis92Posted 7/1/2013 1:02:57 AM
Yeah, I've had experience where EB Games in Australia have tried to talk me into getting the 360 version of multiplats (like Need for Speed) and told outright falsehoods like Black Ops II not being on Wii U despite it being two meters away from him, blatantly on the shelf.
Lots of fanboys and idiots work there.
---
I'm a promiscuous gamer; Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, and none of them know I'm cheating on them.
#7DreamSiamesePosted 7/1/2013 1:04:00 AM
They're hardly professionals or anything like that. I see them at the same level as gas station or fast food workers.

I hate a lot of their rules too, like trying to buy a new game that they've already opened (What the F...)
#8zaakroPosted 7/1/2013 1:04:17 AM
TheUnboundOne posted...
Working at a GameStop is a minimum wage range job just like working at McDonalds. Call yourself lucky if they manage to put the right game in the bag and don't steal your credit card numbers.

Just because someone works for minimum wages doesn't make them a lesser person.
---
Some days don't you wish you could high five the sun
#9BuretsuPosted 7/1/2013 1:05:54 AM
zaakro posted...
TheUnboundOne posted...

Just because someone works for minimum wages doesn't make them a lesser person.

No, it just generally means a person has no love for their job and will often do the minimum they have to in order to not get fired.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#10NeoMonkPosted 7/1/2013 1:08:01 AM
Getting information from a gamestop worker is like hoping to find decent clothing at sears
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator