EA: Frostbite 3 on Wii U Lower Priority but possible

#1GodofLazinessPosted 7/1/2013 9:53:37 AM
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/01/ea-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-well-be-the-winners-frostbite-3-on-wii-u-lower-priority-but-possible/

"Electronic Arts released Mass Effect 3 and FIFA 13 for the Wii U, but currently we’re focusing our resources on Xbox One and PS4, so it’s a fact that the priority (of the Wii U) is slightly lower. Howerver making Frostbite 3 work on the Wii U is not impossible. Where there are gamers, we’ll be there as well. This is the true meaning of “omnidirectional”

Before they said Frostbite 2 can't run on Wii U but now they're saying Frostbite 3 is "not impossible"? Man EA flip flop worse than Mitt Romney during election month.
---
Official Guardian Knight Slacker of Safe Haven.
Light blinds us and forces us to stumble about in ignorance - Altair
#2BeanBeanKingdomPosted 7/1/2013 9:54:13 AM
Frostbite 2 confirmed for being a more advanced engine than 3.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#3hiphops_saviorPosted 7/1/2013 10:01:46 AM
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
Frostbite 2 confirmed for being a more advanced engine than 3.

Much like how Cryengine 2 is more advanced than CE3.
#4DiscostewSMPosted 7/1/2013 10:10:27 AM
Priority "slightly" lower? Doesn't look "slightly" to me. Sounds more like "non-existent" with the way they've treated Nintendo these past number of months. I'm guessing they'll be back if the PS4 and XB1 don't show the promise of high install bases early on, since they are basing their priorities on where the gamers are, and only the Wii U has an actual install base right now.

As for Frostbite 3, it seems the situation is like I imagined it. Frostbite 2 requires heavy processing per core, which probably meant none of the 3 next-gen systems could run it (notice no FB2 games are coming to PS4/XB1?), but FB3 is optimized for such configurations that PS4/XB1 have, and would include Wii U to an extent much more than FB2 could run on that console.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#5zerooo0Posted 7/1/2013 10:13:27 AM
Eh doesn't bother me. I would rather them focus on something instead of Half as**** it on a certain platform.

All platforms(If possible) should have an equal port. That is what I believe. So if EA where to Half as* say BF4 to the Wii U then I would rather them not bring it at all, and just focus on the X1, & PS4.
---
Starwars Battlefront PS4/X1 console boards are up. COME LETS DISCUSS NEXT GEN BATTLEFRONT ON FROSTBITE 3
#6MilesTeg420Posted 7/1/2013 10:17:28 AM
They will probably start supporting Wii U in 2014.
#7DaLaggaPosted 7/1/2013 10:34:33 AM
GodofLaziness posted...
Before they said Frostbite 2 can't run on Wii U but now they're saying Frostbite 3 is "not impossible"? Man EA flip flop worse than Mitt Romney during election month.

Both statements are likely true and it's not a contradiction. The Wii U is almost certainly far too weak to run the engine, especially with the CPU being even weaker than the x360/PS3. However, if you gut the engine enough, you could get it to run on almost anything (even the original Wii or iphones). But that's not the point because gimping the engine that hard not only takes time but also degrades the quality of the experience and likely isn't worth it.

For example, it would have been true to say that the Wii could never run Crysis. But it's also true that if Crytek had gutted the game enough (removed all shadows, dramatically reduced the draw distance, got rid of most of the foliage, did away with the physics, etc.) that they could have gotten it to run on the Wii. So basically, when developers say a particular piece of hardware can't handle a particular game or engine, what they mean is that it would take too much effort and/or degrade the experience too much to hack the experience down enough to get it running on the hardware.
#8kayoticdreamzPosted 7/1/2013 10:40:11 AM
GodofLaziness posted...
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/01/ea-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-well-be-the-winners-frostbite-3-on-wii-u-lower-priority-but-possible/

"Electronic Arts released Mass Effect 3 and FIFA 13 for the Wii U, but currently we’re focusing our resources on Xbox One and PS4, so it’s a fact that the priority (of the Wii U) is slightly lower. Howerver making Frostbite 3 work on the Wii U is not impossible. Where there are gamers, we’ll be there as well. This is the true meaning of “omnidirectional”

unlike Obama who has never ever once flip flopped amirite guyz????
#9usaamahlinkPosted 7/1/2013 10:40:28 AM
It's always been painfully obvious that EA were lying or if their teeth. They just didn't want to spend time and money on Wii U, and said some pretty stupid things to 'justify' that. I think Frostbite might run with some issues, because it is a CPU intensive engine, but if they have some good coders they'll figure it out, and it could run a lot better than PS3 or 360 versions. Now getting EA to make that investment is the hard part. Nintendo should take an active hand in helping (partially financing? Or simply helping them optimize the engine) EA's initial investment in the Wii U, and then get them rolling. I would love games like Battlefront, NHL, maybe even Battlefield on the Wii U. Hopefully Nintendo can make EA they not jumping on the Wii U sooner, it's all in Nintendo's hands now.
---
Currently playing: Chrono Trigger, The Last Story, Vandal Hearts, Zelda-ALttP, Xenoblade Chronicles, Age of Empires II - The Conquerors. SSB Brawl <-(always)
#10darkjedilinkPosted 7/1/2013 10:54:15 AM
kayoticdreamz posted...
GodofLaziness posted...

unlike Obama who has never ever once flip flopped amirite guyz????

What!? He TOTALLY closed Gitmo, brought peace in the Middle East, made health insurance cheaper....
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie