Is there anything wrong with taking an old game and making it newer?

#1greenyoshi46Posted 7/2/2013 12:30:09 AM
For instance,nsmbu. Its a game that's almost the same as older games in the series. The older games in the series you thought was good. But why not this one? If you repeat something good then its still good. And should you care? You might not like repeats but its a good game.
---
(English is not my first language, Swedish is. So respect typos)
#2Chocobo115Posted 7/2/2013 12:32:07 AM
Only if that's the only thing you do.
Sometimes you should develop something new and fresh.
It's nice to grow together with your audience.
---
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
#3BuretsuPosted 7/2/2013 12:38:46 AM
Chocobo115 posted...
It's nice to grow together with your audience.

I've never understood this logic. If you feel like you've outgrown something, just move on. Why should it change to please you when it can stay the same and please someone else?
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#4G1ingyPosted 7/2/2013 12:43:36 AM
You are aware of the fact that not only does Nintendo have by far the most IP, but they're still generating new IP's even to this day? No?

And that when they actually do reinvent their new IP's, they more often than not turn a profit unlike other revived IP's? *cough*Tomb Raider*cough*
#5greenyoshi46(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 12:49:15 AM
G1ingy posted...
You are aware of the fact that not only does Nintendo have by far the most IP, but they're still generating new IP's even to this day? No?

And that when they actually do reinvent their new IP's, they more often than not turn a profit unlike other revived IP's? *cough*Tomb Raider*cough*

yes I am aware of that, but that's off topic
---
(English is not my first language, Swedish is. So respect typos)
#6G1ingyPosted 7/2/2013 12:52:42 AM
sry, wasn't replying to you.
#7manmousePosted 7/2/2013 1:33:34 AM
i think it's inferior because of the physics. if you play SMB3 or SMWorld, when holding the run button Mario is nimble and practically glides across the ground at high speeds with little resistance. he's simply FAST. when you jump, he launches high and far, and you can control every nuance of his jump arc, and land with pinpoint perfect accuracy. and if you run really fast in one direction and immediately turn around, he skids really quick, and starts going fast in the other direction right away with no resistance, so you can do complex maneuvers and dodge projectiles with super speedy reflexes and have total control.

in NSMB series (and most Marios after 64), they make him feel heavier and weighted, and give you less control over his mid-jump directions and less perfect accuracy when landing, and he's slower and takes a couple seconds to build up momentum as if he's dragging at first. and if you do a 180 turn around really fast, he kicks his feet and runs in place for a second before getting his slow start in the opposite direction. so if you wanna do complex immediate reflex dodges, you're out of luck because you're gonna run in place for 1 second every time you change change from left to right, right to left.

classic Mario gameplay was simply a fast, precise, agile affair. modern Mario feels sluggish in comparison. the "newer" additions look great, but that main part of the games' feel really hurts the experience for me.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#8sonic777Posted 7/2/2013 1:44:05 AM
*Implying NSMB is not a soulless cash-in by Nintendo.*

Other than that, no, TC. Nothing at all.
---
<3 NINTENDO OMG
#9TalentedMPosted 7/2/2013 1:50:24 AM
NSMB(U) are welcome additions in a world where true platformers are pretty much don't exist outside of indie devs working with them.

I have more of a problem when there are remakes of games that don't really need HD remakes. Like Duck Tails, why not make a whole new game instead from the ground up using the graphics instead? I mean they had to build the game anyways, why not make it really NEW.

NSMB actually introduces new things and a new way to play them. I agree with what someone said above about Mario being a bit more sluggish to start, but I actually look at that from a development point of view, why should they have him be a speed demon? It really works to build around him not just cruising through levels and having that startup makes it a tad (very little) difficult instead of making it easier.

So in a way, I don't mind them taking something and adding to it with anything more than graphics. So HD remixes do piss me off a little more than just reusing an original idea like platforming but adding on everything from the way you play, to the way the characters move to the locations you play in... I have less of a problem with that.
---
Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive. - MageGuyInfinity
#10The_Shadow_LinkPosted 7/2/2013 1:53:37 AM
Reboots inherently aren't a bad thing, just depends on their execution really. Done well? Awesome! Done Poorly? Burn It! Burn it all!
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~