What API does this system use?

#1AndrogyneTechPosted 7/2/2013 4:36:15 AM
I am asking this because I am confused about issues when porting console games to the PC.

I've gotten mixed messages.
There's been a lot of discussions lately about the PlayStation 4 and XBOX One "basically being PCs" because of x86 architecture. But then there's been the counter-argument, that architecture isn't enough, how easy porting these games between would be dependent upon what API these systems use. If DirectX or OpenGL, then porting would of course be easy.

If a console specific API, then, not so easy. And I was told that, outside of Microsoft's XBOX One and XBOX 360, all systems have been using console specific APIs that would making porting to the PC very difficult. And that the PlayStation 4 really isn't that much like a PC, because games are still being developed for non-PC APIs. Thus many companies still aren't going to consider porting games to the PC.

On the other hand, I'm also hearing many people say otherwise. That Sony and Nintendo have been using OpenGL for years. And that the Wii U is using the OpenGL API.

Is that true? Is the Wii U running graphics on OpenGL? Or is this some misinformation I've been fed. I want to clear the confusion and learn what API the Wii U games are being developed with.
#2StarBladeEdgePosted 7/2/2013 4:54:35 AM
it uses very cool api's , i can tell you that. get the wiiu !
---
WiiU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PS4>>>>>>>>>>>that's it.
Eheheheheheheeh.
#3AndrogyneTech(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 5:28:49 AM
Well that wasn't very helpful. I also already own one. And if I didn't a blind promotion like that wouldn't make me very interested. I don't think you know what API the Wii U uses, or you would have told me what it uses instead of trying to sell me one. I really don't care whether you think the API of the Wii U is "cool" or not.

Next please.
#4ADHDguitarPosted 7/2/2013 5:41:47 AM
Pretty sure it's a modified OpenGL.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#5StarBladeEdgePosted 7/2/2013 5:44:14 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6StarBladeEdgePosted 7/2/2013 5:48:25 AM(edited)
yeah well you see there isn't a '' next one '' :D

so you gotta stick with me and i tell you again : the wiiu has a great api and you should get another wii so you have 2 great apis.

you're androgyne
---
WiiU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PS4>>>>>>>>>>>that's it.
Eheheheheheheeh.
#7AndrogyneTech(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 6:12:38 AM
ADHDguitar posted...

Really? That's interesting. Any source for this or anything? How do you know this, exactly?
#8deathwave21Posted 7/2/2013 6:25:07 AM
its not a matter of porting console games to pc. The games can now easily be designed to play on ps4/XBone/PC. Nintendo games don't get ported to other systems, so their API is never a topic of discussion.
---
Do you want to go to college for free? Go Marines!
#9AndrogyneTech(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 5:20:15 PM
Whether people are going to port or not, the API is still of interest to people.

For instance, the people developing games for the Wii U need to know what API they're going to be using. I would think it would be a thing of interest to people in general. Even with really old systems that ought to be a curiosity. People who develop emulators need to know what API the Sony PlayStation 1 is using, for instance.

It disappoints me how few people care about how their systems and their games work.
#10geneticsftwPosted 7/2/2013 5:22:05 PM
AndrogyneTech posted...
ADHDguitar posted...

Really? That's interesting. Any source for this or anything? How do you know this, exactly?

www.google.com
---
Sweet