What's with the lack of support from Nintendo?

#1Sniperdog117Posted 7/2/2013 7:55:14 AM
Upon doing some research on the comparison between the amount of games Nintendo developed for the Wii compared to the Wii U, it is obvious that the level of support by the creator of the hardware is at a shockingly low level.

In 2006, Nintendo had developed three games, Wii Sports and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Heck, you could even count Excite Truck, as it might have been developed by Monster Games, it WAS on a Nintendo IP, even if it is a small one.

In 2012, when the Wii U had its holiday release, they had New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendoland. So, the two holiday releases really don't show that much of a different. Sure, Wii Sports exploded in popularity, but some of that had to do with it being bundled. And NSMBU is coming from a franchise that a huge track record for selling a lot of units, much more than The Legend of Zelda and Excite Truck, so things look pretty even, at least in terms of support by Nintendo.

But in 2007, the first six months had a array of releases that were developed by Nintendo and their fellow studios. Warioware: Smooth Moves, Wii Play, Super Paper Mario, Mario Party 8, Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree, and Pokémon Battle Revolution. These were just the U.S. releases. In Japan, they had Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, in addition to all the games the U.S. had, save for Mario Party 8. Europe had most of the games the U.S. had, but they also had Mario Strikers Charged.

In 2013, Nintendo has developed only one games based off THEIR IPs(Nintendo does not own Lego). That is Game & Wario. No matter what you think about any of the games for the Wii, I think everyone can agree that those games beat out Game & Wario. Oh, and New Super Luigi U, which is pretty fun, but is at this time, you have to own NSMBU to purchase it.

Now, Nintendo has some plans for later this year. But they had just as many plans back in the second of half of 2007.

After the June of 2007, Nintendo released Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, and Link's Crossbow Training. Of course, there are much more Nintendo games coming out for the Wii U in the later half of this year: Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D Land, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

So that's 14 to 11. So not much a difference, right? Yes and no. While I can't anything about the future 2013 Wii U titles, it appears that Nintendo's current 2013 titles haven't been received all to well, with Game & Wario sitting at a 61 on Metacritic and NSLU at 76. And the 2012 games seem to lower than usual, with Nintendoland at 77, and NSMBU at an 84. These are good scores for the most part, but not for Nintendo EAD and Intelligent Systems.

And those 11 games include some DLC that's going retail and a remake, showing how Nintendo simply isn't support the Wii U as strong as they can.

So the question is: why is Nintendo developing less games for Wii U? Is it that tricky HD stuff? Or is it the 3DS? Or maybe projects were simply pushed 2014(although the Wii had quiet a bit 2008 support...).

So what's your guys thoughts on this? Is Nintendo just getting slower?(Given that most of their games coming out later in the year compared to earlier) Or are they just going to release less games on their home consoles for now on.
#2BuretsuPosted 7/2/2013 8:00:54 AM
Sniperdog117 posted...
So the question is: why is Nintendo developing less games for Wii U? Is it that tricky HD stuff? Or is it the 3DS? Or maybe projects were simply pushed 2014(although the Wii had quiet a bit 2008 support...).

So what's your guys thoughts on this? Is Nintendo just getting slower?(Given that most of their games coming out later in the year compared to earlier) Or are they just going to release less games on their home consoles for now on.

Mostly HD stuff, and Nintendo not having had the resources in place to take full advantage of the power offered. They've had a slow start, but the pace is already looking to start picking up with all the announcements made at E3.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#3DeathSoul2000Posted 7/2/2013 8:01:07 AM
tl;dr.

Nintendo is apparently having troubles with HD development, which for a company stuck in the 80's, isn't surprising.
#4dancing_cactuarPosted 7/2/2013 8:06:04 AM
I wouldn't count Wii Play, as that was barely even a game, more like a tech demo bundled with a controller.

Paper Mario and DK also exist in a strange situation, as they were both being developed for the Gamecube already, and as a result, were farther along in development. Oh, and DK Barrel Blast was garbage. Just needed to put it out there.

I see your overall point, though, and I honestly have no idea why the games are slower now. Maybe they're focusing more on the 3DS right now with Awakening and AC: New Leaf? I don't know.
As someone who's patient, however, I can play the waiting game until August when Pikmin comes out, and from there, the games will start to trickle through.
---
I kinda like to imagine that all Voice-Actors are reality-jumping individuals basically stuck in a Quantum Leap situation.
#5TerotrousPosted 7/2/2013 8:12:09 AM(edited)
Sniperdog117 posted...
But in 2007, the first six months had a array of releases that were developed by Nintendo and their fellow studios. Warioware: Smooth Moves, Wii Play, Super Paper Mario, Mario Party 8, Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree, and Pokémon Battle Revolution.

The thing you forgot to mention is that these games are all terrible, Big Brain Academy is the standout, and that should really tell you something.

2007 was insanely barren until Prime 3, Galaxy, and Fire Emblem came out, all towards the end of the year, much like how we're getting loads of content at the end of this year too.

Incidentally, Game and Wario is a much better game than Big Brain Academy.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#6lt519Posted 7/2/2013 8:10:59 AM
It's interesting for sure. I know that part of the reason, not the whole thing, is that they didn't want to suffocate 3rd party developers by releasing too many 1st party AAA games. Instead the opposite happened where 3rd party developers left because there was no install base because there were no 1st part AAA games. Something like this "Hey 3rd parties, we'll release a couple Nintendo games to get the ball rolling on selling consoles and then we'll let you have the spotlight for a few months." What they didn't anticipate was Nintendoland =/= wii sports and NSMBU I don't consider AAA (although I love it).

They probably had a few teams focused on a few 1st party games and have now spread that out to develop more games to give us a monthly release. This could have resulted in a few games being delayed but now we'll see a release per month.

Many things, we can pretend we know all we want, but in the end they've been doing this for as long as I've been alive. They'll figure it out.
---
Playing: Dust Elysian Tail, The Walking Dead, Monster Hunter U, Fire Emblem Awakening, Luigi's mansion, T was Alone
Own: Gaming PC, PS3, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, DS
#7dancing_cactuarPosted 7/2/2013 8:11:37 AM
Terotrous posted...
Sniperdog117 posted...
But in 2007, the first six months had a array of releases that were developed by Nintendo and their fellow studios. Warioware: Smooth Moves, Wii Play, Super Paper Mario, Mario Party 8, Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree, and Pokémon Battle Revolution.

The thing you forgot to mention is that these games are all terrible, Big Brain Academy is the standout, and that should really tell you something.

2007 was insanely barren until Prime 3, Galaxy, and Fire Emblem came out, all towards the end of the year, much like how we're getting loads of content at the end of this year too.

Super Paper Mario was not terrible.
If SPM didn't live up to your insanely bloated expectations after the masterpiece of the Thousand Year Door, sorry. But that doesn't mean the game is bad.
---
I kinda like to imagine that all Voice-Actors are reality-jumping individuals basically stuck in a Quantum Leap situation.
#8TerotrousPosted 7/2/2013 8:14:01 AM(edited)
dancing_cactuar posted...
Super Paper Mario was not terrible.
If SPM didn't live up to your insanely bloated expectations after the masterpiece of the Thousand Year Door, sorry. But that doesn't mean the game is bad.

No, it's an objectively awful game. It has absurdly slow gameplay, a horrible flipping mechanic that slows the pace of the game to a crawl, and no challenge level whatsoever. It tries to be a combination of an RPG and a Platformer, but it fails horribly at both.

I've played at least 200 platformers and it's in the bottom 10% for sure.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
#9lt519Posted 7/2/2013 8:15:00 AM
I loved SPM.

Quote from Iwata right before launch:

"Nintendo tends to release too many titles at the launch of a hardware system and as a result suffers a drop in new games for quite some time after launch, and for the Wii U launch, we are being very careful not to let it happen. Fortunately, third-party publishers overseas are launching many titles for us this time, and we were able to push back the release of some of the titles that we had originally intended to release as launch titles until next year."

I think this supports the idea that they were really just holding off on some titles/development because they didn't want to flood the market immediately and to allow third party relations to grow. Now that third parties have left and games have been delayed we have a pretty big void.
---
Playing: Dust Elysian Tail, The Walking Dead, Monster Hunter U, Fire Emblem Awakening, Luigi's mansion, T was Alone
Own: Gaming PC, PS3, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, DS
#10TerotrousPosted 7/2/2013 8:20:09 AM(edited)
lt519 posted...
I think this supports the idea that they were really just holding off on some titles/development because they didn't want to flood the market immediately and to allow third party relations to grow. Now that third parties have left and games have been delayed we have a pretty big void.

I don't think so, we already know that they planned to launch some of their games earlier, they just got delayed. I'm pretty sure Pikmin 3, Game and Wario, and Wii Fit U were all intended to be Q1 or Q2 releases.

Also, it's clearly a terrible idea. As Nintendo themselves have said, it's Nintendo's job to move systems and create an install base for third-party developers.
---