If Super Mario 3D World isn't the next step for 3D Mario games, what is?

#1ItsKaljinyuTimePosted 7/2/2013 6:36:08 PM
Where should Mario have gone? He went on vacation, he went to space, what should've been after that? The most pronounced point I hear about 3D World is that it's essentially Mario and pals travelling through video game levels. It didn't feel natural like Sunshine and Galaxy. It felt forced. Personally, I feel like that's the best way to go anyway, for a multiplayer 3D Mario game, but I could be wrong. Where do you think Mario should've gone?
---
Kaljinyu
#2Golden MavenPosted 7/2/2013 6:38:54 PM
ItsKaljinyuTime posted...
Where do you think Mario should've gone?

Like Mario 64. A nice variety of open levels. That simple. With the Wii U's capabilities, it would have been fun.

Mario 3D World will play out like a DS game. It's the equivalent of taking Angry Birds, slapping HD textures on it and porting it to the PS3.
#3ItsKaljinyuTime(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 6:40:18 PM
I think people would've said Mario is out of ideas if he did that.
---
Kaljinyu
#4Golden MavenPosted 7/2/2013 6:43:46 PM
And 3D World is somehow inspired?

The Mario 64 theme is versatile, unlike Sunshine. You can get a good variety of different settings. If the levels and mechanics are well designed, no one would be complaining. Mario on a vacation or Mario in space sounds like a bad sequel.
#5Dark__ThronePosted 7/2/2013 6:45:07 PM
A Mario game where you have a time travelling machine and you go back and forth into time to search levels for power stars. The levels change depending on what time period you're in.

Have a funny and wacky story, have some more playable characters other than just Mario which have unique abilities and only certain areas can be accessed through them.
#6distr0iaPosted 7/2/2013 6:45:57 PM
3D World was the right step. Combining 3D worlds with sidescrolling-like pacing was nice enough, but now it's with 4 players

I personally can't wait
#7VoelgerPosted 7/2/2013 6:46:28 PM
Mario universe!- a mix of galaxy, and 3d world

Mario lost in time- the worlds are historically themed

Super Mario Movies- movie themed levels

Sky Mario- airships flying over oceans, mountains, and jungles

A Mario Bros tale!- a fantasy setting like fables

Mario Island- an open world island via Farcry or GTA- no levels all open world

Mario Adventure- an actual zeldaish world and story with Mario as the head. Lots of platforming and less equipment
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10
#8Xenesis XenonPosted 7/2/2013 6:46:41 PM
The Mario 64 theme was "Mario Stays at Home" essentially.

I won't deny that the ability to actually explore the Castle for the first time wasn't absolutely amazing - it just doesn't lend itself to being a 'different' game each time.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#9GamespohtPosted 7/2/2013 6:49:55 PM
Voelger posted...
Mario universe!- a mix of galaxy, and 3d world

Mario lost in time- the worlds are historically themed

Super Mario Movies- movie themed levels

Sky Mario- airships flying over oceans, mountains, and jungles

A Mario Bros tale!- a fantasy setting like fables

Mario Island- an open world island via Farcry or GTA- no levels all open world

Mario Adventure- an actual zeldaish world and story with Mario as the head. Lots of platforming and less equipment

Somebody get this guy to Nintendo, quickly
---
''No copyright law in the universe is going to stop me''-Sonic The Hedgehog
I am Gamespot's Unofficial Mascot....Love Me.
#10manmousePosted 7/2/2013 6:57:12 PM
i'm very happy with 3DWorld.

but for future entries,

as mentioned earlier, a time travel-based game would be cool, especially if you could alter time mid-level and see different time-zone versions of the stage as you go in order to access different areas and such.

also maybe a forest themed game. with a more dreamy, misty, cold atmosphere, based on the redwoods in the pacific northwest, with lots of places up in high trees and such. they could do some cool stuff with level design since such a setting would warrant lots of precision platforming and vertical design instead of horizontal, plus cool branching (no pun intended) paths between different trees and branches, as well as lots of numerous high and low paths at different altitudes. also, they could bridge a gap between recent Mario Karts by including paragliding, with you gliding between different high trees and lots of aerial gameplay.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY