If Super Mario 3D World isn't the next step for 3D Mario games, what is?

#61Nostalgia_3Posted 7/8/2013 7:13:12 PM
Of the more recent games, there are a few trends that I would love to see incorporated into a more traditional 3D Mario (I don't have any issue with 3D World, but it's obvious that they weren't intending it to be the followup to Galaxy / Galaxy 2 as much as simply be its own spinoff series):

Luigi physics. It was in Galaxy and Galaxy 2, NSLU, and will be in 3D World. In games where there actually is a difference, I've always preferred playing as Luigi - faster, higher jumping, but less controlled.

Galaxy-style worlds. Mario Sunshine had a few huge worlds that had tons of missions, while Galaxy had tons and tons of much smaller, more condensed worlds. Mario 64 was kind of in the middle of the two. Personally, I really enjoyed Galaxy's style, as it gave them a lot more freedom and allowed them to experiment with many different types of level design.

Green stars. While I didn't exactly love Galaxy 2's handling of them, which tended to haphazardly hide them with no real apparent thought of the difficulty (or lack thereof), I do like the idea of beating the game, and having hidden stars pop up. If they hid them better / more consistently, or possibly even added new secret areas for a short mission to earn them, that'd be a really cool way to revist old worlds, other than simply staring at them because you've collected everything in them already.
#62lt519Posted 7/8/2013 7:46:23 PM
Well to me 3D Mario gameplay, camera, and visuals have gotten better every generation. They won't take a step back in any of those departments. I don't really care about the story or setting all that much.

One disappointing trend is the free roaming portion of the hubs being minimized in Galaxy and removed in Galaxy 2 and 3D Mario Land.
---
Playing: Dust Elysian Tail, The Walking Dead, Rogue Legacy, NSLU, Luigi's mansion, FE: Awakening
Own: Gaming PC, PS3, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, DS
#63ElectricMolePosted 7/8/2013 7:54:27 PM
But we still have, obviously, the Galaxy series, and there's a possibility that in the future we may look to explore what else we can do with the Galaxy series. For us, it was really about trying to find the right 3D Mario space in which we're going to allow the widest audience to play.

MIYAMOTO'S words.

Mario 3D World is not the successor to Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy.

so dont worry. M3dW is another spin off like NSMB
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
#64WildsparkPosted 7/8/2013 8:03:10 PM
My ideas for 3d Mario games

Mario Portraits- Mario gets trapped in a freaky art world and has to travel between paintings to get back home (the gameplay would be similar to Mario 64)

Agent Mario- Mario is a special operative who's job is to protect princess peach and the mushroom kingdom from their enemies. He gets sent on special missions to solve crimes or stop bad incidents before they happen. (I guess it would be similar to Jak 2)

Mario Demolition- A new bad guy who's even more evil than bowser appears and takes over the mushroom kingdom. Mario and Bowser are forced to team up in order to set things right again. You would have to switch between characters to solve puzzles and defeat enemies.

Mario World Tour- Mario bets Princess Peach that he can travel around the world in 80 days (on foot).
---
PSN: TheWildspark
#65Bancario51Posted 7/8/2013 8:11:53 PM
Super Mario 64 U
---
#XboxWon (not changing this till its truth)
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#66NyyarkPosted 7/8/2013 8:26:42 PM
Some sort of 3D continuous version of Super Mario World would be fun. But I'm quite satisfied with having 4 different characters in 3D Land.
#67Waggy17Posted 7/8/2013 8:48:16 PM
Dark__Throne posted...
A Mario game where you have a time travelling machine and you go back and forth into time to search levels...

Oh, you mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario's_Time_Machine
---
PSN/NNID - Waggy777
http://www.youtube.com/user/waggystg
#68ChipChippersonPosted 7/8/2013 11:52:19 PM
Going forward by looking backwards: 8 bit style graphics with 3D gameplay.
---
As long as you're in my house, you'll do what I do, and believe what I believe. So butter your bacon... and bacon up that sausage, boy.