Nintendo comparable to Microsoft regarding anti-consumer practices?

#1THMBZDownGNZUpPosted 7/3/2013 4:36:56 AM
With recent news about Nintendo rejecting its fans regarding the request to remove region lock from Wii U and 3DS, I'm beginning to lose support for them. These business practices are comparable to what Microsoft tried to do with Xbox One before they backpedaled.

"Nintendo has no plans to remove region locking from our systems. By taking this approach, Nintendo is able to include parental controls and ensure compliance with regional standards and rating systems.", a comment from Nintendo of America regarding region lock urging them to remove region lock from their consoles.

Please explain to me how both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, even PlayStation Vita, are region free but Wii U and 3DS are not. These excuses of "parental controls" and "regional standards and rating systems" in no way affect said competitors' consoles, so why would it affect Nintendo? To suggest that kids may buy games outside of their region is absurd, and to suggest that regional standards and rating systems are the reasions I ask again, why is it other consoles are region free and don't take this into consideration?

These questions are rhetorical, and the reason is because region lock isn't needed and being region free negatively affects nothing. In fact, it helps consoles, games, and gamers. I'm losing more faith in Nintendo with each passing day. From lackluster console to lack of games (both first and third party), now region lock. The fall of gaming is upon us.
#2iKhanicPosted 7/3/2013 4:37:36 AM
Big Brother Nintendo.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board
#3squatch22Posted 7/3/2013 4:38:47 AM
Yeah...no.
Region lock and stopping preowned games and backwards compatibility dont even compare.
---
Nintendo stock: 11,750 - Sony stock: 2,133
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#4AhnoldDoodPosted 7/3/2013 4:39:45 AM
squatch22 posted...
Yeah...no.
Region lock and stopping preowned games and backwards compatibility dont even compare.
#5Freakzilla5Posted 7/3/2013 4:48:40 AM
squatch22 posted...
Yeah...no.
#6splodeymissilePosted 7/3/2013 4:50:46 AM
squatch22 posted...
Yeah...no.

---
One can not help but imagine Microsoft as being ran by a thousand Homer Simpsons. -Obturator
#7IcedEarthaholicPosted 7/3/2013 4:50:56 AM
While it sucks that at this time, there's no plans for removal of the region locking, I feel as long as we consumers stick to our guns, they'll cave. Compared to the XB1 though, compared how it was originally going to be, the Wii U comes up smelling roses.
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#8AstralFrostPosted 7/3/2013 5:11:32 AM
IcedEarthaholic posted...
While it sucks that at this time, there's no plans for removal of the region locking, I feel as long as we consumers stick to our guns, they'll cave.

Name a Nintendo console that had region lock removed due to consumers sticking to their guns.
---
Man at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Iwata committed sudoku on himself
#9OfficerJeffreyPosted 7/3/2013 5:11:55 AM
squatch22 posted...
Yeah...no.

---
Oh he so Pringles where yo curleh mustache at!?
#10NovaLevossidaPosted 7/3/2013 5:32:27 AM
Those so quick to denounce region lock as something that's "not so bad" perhaps are quick to forget Operation Rainfall. The only reason anyone had to make a stupid petition in the first place to get the games over here is because the Wii was region locked. Nintendo's competitors don't have that problem now. Even Cave, developer of shoot-em-ups, ran into this problem with the 360, so they in turn just made their games region-free so that you could import them and play them.

I'm not saying it's on the same level of bad as Xbox One's anti-consumerism, but region-locking does nothing to help you, and it actively makes it difficult to play games that just won't come out over here otherwise.
---
Sig under construction.