Satoru Iwata Explains Nintendo's reasons for region locking the 3DS and Wii U

#1talesofzeldaPosted 7/3/2013 7:24:34 PM
From some people’s perspective, it might seem like a kind of restriction. However, we hope people can appreciate the fact that we’re selling our products worldwide. There are many different regions around the world, and each region has its own cultural acceptance and legal restrictions, as well as different age ratings. There are always things that we’re required to do in each different region, which may go counter to the idea that players around the world want the freedom to play whatever they want.
…I hope that game fans can understand that the industry isn’t doing this solely out of business ego. There are some reasons behind it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/nintendos-president-discusses-region-locking

I for one see where they're coming from, but I still don't think it justifies region locking.
---
Mega Man is in Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS! Finally, I can play as Link and Mega Man in the same game.
3DS FC: 0903-3775-7778 / NNID: HylianShield
#2ExonOuroborosPosted 7/3/2013 7:27:42 PM
Nothing justifies region locking.
#3Saintman32190Posted 7/3/2013 7:32:59 PM
ExonOuroboros posted...
#4TalentedMPosted 7/3/2013 7:38:39 PM
I don't import, I don't know any other languages other than my own, I don't very much care if I will never play "Doki Poki Panic X : Lifeblood Kawaii".
---
Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive. - MageGuyInfinity
#5strongo9Posted 7/3/2013 7:40:00 PM
TalentedM posted...
I don't import, I don't know any other languages other than my own, I don't very much care if I will never play "Doki Poki Panic X : Lifeblood Kawaii".

QFT. The people that complain about region locking are of a very small majority of weeaboos.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#6KittyPuppyPosted 7/3/2013 7:44:58 PM
Unless they plan to start bringing way more games overseas then this is just empty BS.
#7YamiYugi4400Posted 7/3/2013 7:46:06 PM
Saintman32190 posted...
ExonOuroboros posted...

---
Exodia - Obliterate!!!
#8BuretsuPosted 7/3/2013 7:52:38 PM
YamiYugi4400 posted...
Saintman32190 posted...
ExonOuroboros posted...

This. The only reason to region lock is $$$. Mostly to prevent Europeans and Australians from importing less-expensive American games. And, yes, sometimes Japan to America. We probably would never have gotten Elite Beat Agents if Osu! Tatake!! Ouendan!!! hadn't seen so many imports.

How Nintendo can try to claim legal reasons when the GBA and DS were region-free is beyond me.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#9Xenesis XenonPosted 7/3/2013 8:02:07 PM(edited)
TalentedM posted...

As an Australian, I have trained many hard years so I can speak American. I have in the past wanted to play things like uh, Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime and Animal Crossing.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#10the_cajun88Posted 7/3/2013 8:01:57 PM

^This is how I feel, and I am fluent in English and French.
---
University of Tennessee Alumni
http://i.imgur.com/jC1P9wo.jpg