Pikmin 3 looks great. Ashame that the series isn't more popular....

#31jbhens(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2013 8:09:26 AM
KaoticEnigma posted...
I've never played Pikmin. What's so good about it? It just seemed like puzzles solved with color coded helpers.

Why should someone choose Pikmin over say LoZ?

I own every console, home and portable, and a PC. When I buy a game it has to have merit over all other titles on all other platforms at all other prices. Nintendo games are very good at offering that merit. But I don't see it for Pikmin. Since I've never played it tho, I'm not in the best position to judge, so I'm very open to being swayed.

So why should I buy Pikmin? Any of them since they have similar gameplay, but specifically 3, since its the new one.

You could make an assumption on any game if you don't play it.

Pikmin works on so many levels. First of all, you eventually actually end up caring about your Pikmin and will try your best not to have to sacrifice any of them and get them killed. One of the few games where you actually feel bad when something dies. The puzzles and levels are fantastic, and take trial and error to learn. When you find a piece of fruit or ship part, there are possibly many routes the Pikmin can carry it depending on how much adventuring and opening up of the stage you did. The battles in the game are intense because they are actually a challenge and you also care for your Pikmin army.

It's one of those games that you may not do well at at first, but you'll be amazed at what happens when you stick with it.
#32IcedEarthaholicPosted 7/4/2013 8:15:47 AM
For once I actually kinda agree with you TC, I have Pikmin 2 on the Wii and I feel it's a fantastic game myself, the Wii controls really make a massive difference. That being said, I've seen Pikmin 3 getting a lot of advertisement at Gamestop almost every time I go. I'm actually interested in that title, most likely will use layaway at Toys R' Us to pull off getting it and one or two more titles to go along with it. I do feel this game will sell at least a million lifetime, or more depending.
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#33jbhens(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2013 8:20:14 AM
IcedEarthaholic posted...
For once I actually kinda agree with you TC, I have Pikmin 2 on the Wii and I feel it's a fantastic game myself, the Wii controls really make a massive difference. That being said, I've seen Pikmin 3 getting a lot of advertisement at Gamestop almost every time I go. I'm actually interested in that title, most likely will use layaway at Toys R' Us to pull off getting it and one or two more titles to go along with it. I do feel this game will sell at least a million lifetime, or more depending.

I'm sure it will sell decent. I just find it odd that something like the next Zelda is more discussed on Gamefaqs. That is a game we know nothing about. Pikmin is a fantastic franchise that is about to be released, yet the Nintendo fans seem to be focused on games we know little about. When people wonder why Nintendo doesn't try new things often, it's not hard to figure out why.
#34IcedEarthaholicPosted 7/4/2013 8:30:59 AM
jbhens posted...
IcedEarthaholic posted...

I'm sure it will sell decent. I just find it odd that something like the next Zelda is more discussed on Gamefaqs. That is a game we know nothing about. Pikmin is a fantastic franchise that is about to be released, yet the Nintendo fans seem to be focused on games we know little about. When people wonder why Nintendo doesn't try new things often, it's not hard to figure out why.

Should've been around before this system hit the shelves, Pikmin 3 was definitely talked about plenty. As for focusing on the games we know nothing about? I think it's because of the mystery and intrigue, picture a puzzle with missing pieces, and suddenly a new piece of said puzzle is found, and now you're trying to figure out where it fits on the board. Same feeling with Zelda and the official timeline. Now people want to know where this game is going to fit on the timeline. Will it take place after the NES Zeldas and finally promote a true sequel? Or will it be another prequel?

I think that's the whole selling point, the mystery of it all. Pikmin 3 pretty much had all the doors busted wide open, and now is about ready to hit shelves come next month. It's one of the reasons why the game is hyped, but it isn't talked about much on here. I'm sure that once the game hits the shelves, we'll see more Pikmin 3 topics.
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#35cavebear56Posted 7/4/2013 8:31:05 AM
AstralFrost posted...
The question is, if only the minority think something is great does that actually make it great at all?

Really...you're asking that?

Tell me you're joking.

The answer is yes. Period.

Popularity doesn't always attest to quality or greatness.

Is Taco Bell great because it's great or is it great because it's cheap?
What about sushi?
What about all those cult classic films?
Likewise just because Amnesia didn't make CoD sales does that mean it isn't a great?

Your appeal to the fallacy of popularity is hilarious but the fact logic has a fallacy that appeals to popularity logically proves that majority doesn't dictate quality/greatness.

Never played the Pikmin games though. I might eventually give them a shot I've just got a lot of games on my plate already. I posted mainly because I saw Astral post something so easily answered that I felt bad when he/she struggled with common sense.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#36_Sovereign_Posted 7/4/2013 8:34:29 AM
paulr1986 posted...
jbhens posted...
paulr1986 posted...
It doesn't look like a marketable game. Sort of a cult game.

I thought it was a good game but not spectacular ,and seriously, if I was sitting around with friends and offered them the choice at the time of playing Pikmin on the cube or the new GTA3 on PS2 they'd laugh at me.

Same in a few months, CoD Ghosts on the PS4 or Pikmin 3 on my Wii-U

It's a shame that the majority of the world have this opinion. How many great games get ignored because they aren't like every other game out there....

Actually GTA3 was like no other game at the time and it was a lot more innovative, stylish, playable, and huge than Pikmin was.

While that may be true, it doesn't change the fact that your friends probably would've just looked at the cover and dismissed it....that is truly sad. I've had plenty of friends like that. Hell, I was laughed at by all my friends when I got my copy of Metroid Trilogy - We were playing Gears and the UPS guy showed up...I told them once the match was over I was going to Metroid....they laughed and ridiculed. Guess what they all got one by one as time went on though???
---
I do not return to topics. I say my peace and move on. If you draw issues with what I say, then by all means, inbox me.
#37adampeltzPosted 7/4/2013 10:15:37 AM
KaoticEnigma posted...
I've never played Pikmin. What's so good about it? It just seemed like puzzles solved with color coded helpers.

Why should someone choose Pikmin over say LoZ?

I own every console, home and portable, and a PC. When I buy a game it has to have merit over all other titles on all other platforms at all other prices. Nintendo games are very good at offering that merit. But I don't see it for Pikmin. Since I've never played it tho, I'm not in the best position to judge, so I'm very open to being swayed.

So why should I buy Pikmin? Any of them since they have similar gameplay, but specifically 3, since its the new one.

Actually, Pikmin has a lot in common with Legend of Zelda, especially the original LOZ in a weird way. It's like a really unique blend of RTS, dungeon crawling, beat-em-ups, and objective based games where you need to collect stuff to unlock levels (like stars in Super Mario 64).

However, the gameplay is very organic like the original Legend of Zelda, where you're mostly thrust into the wilderness and have the freedom to explore and do things in whatever order you'd like (in large part) without any narration to break up the experience or tell you what to do.

I will say this, if you like Nintendo games, you'll love Pikmin. It's one of the most Nintendoiest Nintendo games to ever Nintendo. I waited until a few months ago to try the series for the same reasons you did... and now the first two games are now some of my personal favorites.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.
#38MilenninPosted 7/4/2013 10:23:56 AM
I've watched my bro played Pikmin, but the graphics-style and sound effects always annoyed me, and were the reason I never played it myself.
---
Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if you will die today
#39AsuirPosted 7/4/2013 10:49:26 AM
When I was younger I thought Pikmin looked awesome. However as I got older I realized that my tastes had changed and Pikmin was no longer as awesome.

I almost bought a Gamecube for that game. Almost.
---
Ftw!
#40VWC621Posted 7/4/2013 10:54:24 AM
I still have the original games from the GameCube days. I love them. definitely one of my favorite series ever. I have been waiting 9 years and today marks one month until Pikmin 3!!
---
Nintendo Network: VWC621
Next game: Pikmin 3