Nintendo should create a real Nintendo Land

#51XechsPosted 7/5/2013 10:40:02 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
jbhens posted...
I'm sorry, but Mario and Pokemon aren't on the level of the many Disney classics. I don't even understand how anyone could even compare the 2...

I have to disagree with you. Nintendo produces games that offer quality & polish almost unseen anywhere else in the gaming industry. The same can be said for Disney's big budget animated movies in the movie industry. However, I think Nintendo's characters and universes generally have a lot more appeal than the Disney universes.

Toy story and cars franchise merchandise alone brings in about $3-2 billion each respectively, the Disney princess merchandising line is $2.8 billion and these are annually. Disney is the biggest with over $32 billion a year (excluding the $5 billion that marvel makes and about 1.8-3Billion that star wars makes and $20 billion in TV licensing) in merchandising when the 6th best is $5 billion WB (that includes batman and harry potter and everything else).

Pokemon at it's height brought in 3 billion in a year but on off years with no game sit averages $1.2-1.8billion, it's currently sitting at ~$27 billion revenue (only 30% of that is from games) since it started and Disney brings over that in a year in it's merchandising alone (let alone it's studio and cruises and theme parks etc). Even nintendo on it's good year brings in $15-$20 billion and only $4-8 billion is through software, about the same in hardware so only $4 billion or less a year is through classic merchandising like shirts and figures etc which 1/3 or half is through pokemon alone.

So while nintendo has pretty decent merchandising you can't even touch the powerhouse of Disney merchandising machine. The princess line is often associated with classic toons and that brings in almost as much as nintendos entire merchandising line. Nintendo is behind WB and WB is sixth biggest and Disney decimates the competition.
---
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/1198847692478tg1.gif
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/rankastar.gif Ranka-Macross Frontier
#52segagamerPosted 7/5/2013 10:41:56 AM
I like the idea! There is a LegoLand, so why not? Just get rid of Monita...
#53EcotronPosted 7/5/2013 10:57:21 AM(edited)
Yes but it MUST be in Japan... Would be very disappointed if it were in the US.

Also a Pokemon Snap ride would be cool haha. Just a mellow ride with some slower parts to take pictures. Maybe every now and then they could change the Pokemon and have some "rare" ones show up.
#54AaronPHughesPosted 7/5/2013 10:59:35 AM
It would be simple for them to borrow ideas from Disney

Space Mountain=Metroid Ride and/or Star Fox
Peter Pan=Zelda Dark Ride
Racers=Mario Kart themed racers
Splash Mountain=Donkey Kong Themed
Jungle Cruise=Pokemon or Pikmin themed
Tower of Terror=Pilotwings style drop
Test Track=F-Zero
Mario themed Dark Ride
Princess Peach Castle in the middle

Years later they could partner with Sega and have another wing to the park that is 3rd party stuff like Sega, Namco, Capcom and so on.

Cmon Nintendo, get on this!
---
Systems Owned - 2600, 5200, NES, NES2, Gameboy, SNES, Virtual Boy, Gameboy Color, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, GBA, DS, DSLite, GBM, Wii, 360, 3DS, Wii U
#55PoltergustPosted 7/5/2013 7:05:40 PM
Lil_Bit83 posted...
Poltergust posted...
I don't see why people think Nintendo can't create a theme park because they are not as recognizable as Disney. We have things like Six Flags, various random water parks, and a Hershey's theme park.

Hershey's.

Nintendo is more than capable of creating a theme park and it's definitely possible for it to be at least a moderate success. They've actually expressed interest in this sort of thing, but are holding off on the idea for now.

Hershey's has a theme park?

Yeah, and surprisingly it's one of the highest rated theme parks in the US.
---
I find sports video games to be the ultimate in irony and redundancy.-Kahai
#56GrayFox684Posted 7/5/2013 7:41:43 PM
The kid inside me is screaming "Yes!" But realistically Nintendo would most likely lose a lot of money on the deal which they could put towards kick ass games.
---
We're not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing I was good at, but...at least I always fought for what I believed in.
#57RoccoRedPosted 7/5/2013 7:58:54 PM
GrayFox684 posted...
The kid inside me is screaming "Yes!" But realistically Nintendo would most likely lose a lot of money on the deal which they could put towards kick ass games.

I am with you on that.

But hey, they can always make a video of game of a Real Nintendo Land. Make it first person, and put all the little designs and stuff. XD
---
PSN: Omagiri_Dragon
#58mstop_4Posted 7/5/2013 11:28:33 PM
blazingsonic posted...
CaioNV posted...
I read the topic title as "Nintendo should create a cereal Nintendo Land" and now I'm laughing alone.

XD Nintendo Land Cereal, I can see that now complete with DLC codes instead of prizes.

It'll be the "sequel" to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REpiQnnp6p8

Back on topic, wasn't there a real life Pokemon theme park in Japan? How did that turn out?
---
blog.quadolorgames.com - My game dev blog
"Put it in H!"
#59jrb363Posted 7/8/2013 2:11:48 PM
If they made a mid-size (think Six Flags) park and it was outside of Tokyo this might work. Unfortunately I think Nintendo has more problems on their hands than they can count right now. The last thing they need is to pour potentially billions into an amusement park.
---
I fundamentally believe that the initial market that we need to make sure we appeal to with any new platform... is really the gaming audience. - Kaz Hirai
#60Watt64Posted 7/11/2013 11:53:28 PM
I don't think they should do it, but if they did, they could make Princess Peach's castle, complete with the water filled basement, all the paintings (they wouldn't really take you to painting worlds), the big grandfather clock, the mirror room, the spiral staircase, and the Princess's Secret Slide! There could be people dressed up as Toads standing around, too!
---
"So, um, I really want to help. I'll be good, really!"