"Super Mario Bros. on the NES was hard"

#21DarkFoxVPosted 7/4/2013 2:34:27 PM
Not hard, but since the NES version didn't start you off at the world you GO'd at. It can be very tedious at times. Sonic 1, 2, and S&K by itself were also tedious sometimes because of the lack of a save feature.

Besides most of the claims about games getting easier is just more because games have a save feature now, and the Casual Market is huge by comparison. And some games are confusing bad game design intended to sell strategy guides and drain your wallet at arcades with good old fashion challenges. Not to say we didn't get good old challenging games in the past. We still get a nice number of core games a year.
---
"Legends never die"
#22ninto55Posted 7/4/2013 2:42:04 PM
Did TC use the continue code? I think it's up, select, and A. The farthest I've gotten on one continue is 8-3, but I know those last two levels and so I make too many tiny mistakes. A fun way to kill 8 minutes.
---
Every Pony is best Pony, Fluttershy is just my favorite.
Do it and do it right!
#23deathwave21Posted 7/6/2013 8:05:08 AM
ninto55 posted...
Did TC use the continue code? I think it's up, select, and A. The farthest I've gotten on one continue is 8-3, but I know those last two levels and so I make too many tiny mistakes. A fun way to kill 8 minutes.

I've always just held the "A" button and pressed start on the title screen after getting a gameover. If you don't have the time to play the whole game in one sitting, the game has warp zones. You can literally beat the game in under 5 minutes using the warp zones; 1-1, 1-2, 4-1, 4-2, 8-1, 8-2, 8-3, 8-4 are the only levels you actually need to go to.
---
Do you want to go to college for free? Go Marines!
#24Virus66Posted 7/6/2013 8:11:13 AM
ashcrv posted...
TrueBlue91 posted...
It's not that hard, but you did not beat it when you were 5. Don't give us that BS.

I actually did. I can't prove it and I don't expect many people to believe me but I did it.

I played Mario when I was 5 and could beat it as well. Take a couple shortcuts and it's nice and easy.
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
I'm a living contradiction. I own a PS3 and a Wii U. A 3DS and a Vita. And the catch to that? I enjoy them all!
#25toma13Posted 7/6/2013 8:23:06 AM
I beat it when I was 8... it's not that unbelievable that someone beat it at 5... it just takes a bit of determination and a lot of free time... it also helps figuring out where the warp zones are... I know the first one is really easy to find, and of course you'll pick world 4 because you want to get as far as possible. The next obvious warp is the one to world 5, but eventually if you like exploring and hitting every block like I used to then you find the warp to world 8 instead. From there it's just determination and a lot of A+start when you're a kid. Eventually you get used to the level layouts and it becomes easy.
---
Username for pretty much everything: BngryBt
#26manmousePosted 7/6/2013 10:00:38 AM
the difference is that most games today are beatable within a week of getting them.

not because of game length, as any NES platformer can obviously be beat in 1-3 hours or even less.

but because they simply don't require practice or memorization. i beat plenty of platformers when i was very little on my NES and Genesis.

however, like you said TC, you practiced at those games, and got game overs and such, before you were good enough to beat them. whereas the average modern game acts as if it owes the player the right to beat it in one try. like, "well, you spent your money on me, i guess i owe you a win!" so with the exception of a few death, the player can breeze right through without repeating much or suffering many consequences.

so games like Mario Bros 1-3 weren't shy about telling the player, "this gets you killed, so don't do it, or "i see you got better at that skill, so now here's a more complicated obstacle that uses more of the skills you've learned and there'll be a more complicated one later too that uses even more of what you learned."
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#27fuzi11Posted 7/6/2013 10:03:09 AM
well it's harder than any New Super Mario Games for sure.
#28LordBowserPosted 7/9/2013 3:20:18 PM(edited)
Super Mario Bros. had a severe lack of extra lives (excluding exploits), and much more unforgiving jumping mechanics than any other SMB game to date. That's why it was 'hard' relatively.

Now Lost Levels (aka SMB2 in Japan) was hard genuinely. If you call that easy, you are either a master gamer or just making a vain attempt to sound cool and tough on the internet (and I will assume the latter).

Still, there are brutally harder NES games, and a lot of them, than either of the above. Lost levels is hard but beatable. Games like Battletoads or Ninja Gaiden on the other hand...
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#29ACDCrules1Posted 7/9/2013 3:21:49 PM
ashcrv posted...
I laugh like a maniac every time I see/hear people say that. I freakin beat the whole game when I was freakin 5 years old. It blows my mind that someone would find the game so hard that they can't beat it or hard at all. The only level to ever give me a really hard time was that repeating fortress where you had to take specific paths in order to complete it but even then I figured it out when I was 5. Are people really that terrible at games these days?

I beat it when I was 5. Its one of my favorite games, but its far from being hard.
---
Newstalgia - a term used to describe people who are unopened to the idea that anything from the past is of any value; people who feel only the new is good.
#30LordBowserPosted 7/9/2013 3:21:55 PM
ashcrv posted...
TrueBlue91 posted...
It's not that hard, but you did not beat it when you were 5. Don't give us that BS.

I actually did. I can't prove it and I don't expect many people to believe me but I did it.

Already ignored the quoted guy (so I won't see what he says) but I wanted to add that I beat this game around that age too. I didn't start gaming until Kindergarten, so I might have been older than 5, but with dedicated gaming I did beat Super Mario Bros. At that age it was trickier, but hell, maybe I was even better at platformers back then (though, I doubt it). I can't really recall. Its been like what, 15-20 years?
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!