as much as i adore the classic mario games, we deserve more than NSMB games

#11GradyHooverPosted 7/5/2013 6:02:52 AM
fringus123 posted...
i love the classic 2d mario formula, but if they're going to keep pushing this console as next gen, we deserve something that feels that way;

I'm still waiting for a game that truly builds on the greatness of Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine.

Instead we got a follow-up with a "spherical worlds!" graphical gimmick that was barely touched upon at all in the gameplay, and with overall progression structure that took a huge backslide into repetitive linearity.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#12imameliaPosted 7/5/2013 8:31:51 AM
I just want more than one 2D Mario per console. Obviously, something more original than NSMB would be good (make a Super Mario Bros. 5 with a new art style, plot, layout, and overall design!), but I sure as heck don't want to wait until 2018 for another 2D Mario game. Come on, the NES had three and the SNES had one main one plus one of a sister series, plus remakes of the NES ones and one extra...why can't we get an, I don't know, "Super Mario Bros. U" or "Super Mario Bros. 3DS" 1, 2, and 3? And mind you, SMB1-4 did feel sufficiently different from one another, though I would argue that at least the original hasn't aged too well.
#13TerotrousPosted 7/5/2013 8:54:21 AM
imamelia posted...
I just want more than one 2D Mario per console.

Luigi U is kind of a second one.

Still, I feel like there's really not that much they can do with the 2D Mario franchise at this point, and making too many does indeed risk staleness (NSMB2 certainly felt very stale). It's probably best for them to just focus on some of their other properties if they want to make more 2D games. How about another 2D Metroid? We haven't had one in quite a while.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery