Miyamoto: "Wii U development requires twice the amount of human resources

#71JackalPosted 7/6/2013 3:09:04 AM
DarkAdonis123 posted...
Buretsu posted...
Wii U released far too early confirmed.

This is a surprising statement from you.

See what a little therapy can do along with his meds. :)
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#72ZeroArcheryPosted 7/6/2013 4:58:56 AM
NovaLevossida posted...
FayeLady posted...
That is actually pretty reasonable. Inexperience is much easier to forgive than incompetence.

Not really. It's incompetence when you had about 8 years to prepare for it with examples from your competitors and still can't do it right.

Oh yes totally. Look at all the HD Consoles they could practice on while developing for their Wii and DS consoles.
---
Official President of the NST
'But Neku, I thought you couldn't afford to lose? Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world.' - Joshua
#73LordBowserPosted 7/6/2013 5:55:30 AM
Buretsu posted...

No offense but this was confirmed a long time ago. Wii U should have released with Pikmin 3, the fact that there has been such a long game drought confirms this. Then again, you can apply this to other systems as well to quite an extent, and I don't regret buying it early at any rate.

Really, it's less that it released too early, and more that they, as they said, underestimated it and weren't ready with a stronger lineup in early 2013.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#74AstralFrostPosted 7/6/2013 5:57:54 AM
Buretsu posted...

Actually if anything it was released too late given how outdated the technology is. Either way it was released at the wrong time and the whole thing is just a big mess.
---
Man at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Iwata committed sudoku on himself
#75AiddonPosted 7/6/2013 6:03:46 AM
actually the Wii U was probably released at a more appropriate time than the PS3 and 360 were; HD gaming happened way too soon as the resources and effort needed to make these games don't match the actual product. People are putting in more work for less payoff and we saw how bad that was due to many, many, MANY studios closing after ONE title just so happened to not sell 1 million copies (heck, sometimes even that wasn't enough).
#76AkaneJonesPosted 7/6/2013 6:10:33 AM
Xenil posted...
Everywhere else has been working with HD for years, how can they not be prepared for this?

Which ones the ones that went bankrupt, like Factor 5, or the ones that turn to developing DS & PSP to skip the cost? American PC developers where already on this model because Computers had push this style of best hardware. Those developer were actually allowed to slow down by the Xbox360 hardware remaining stagnant for so long. It's not so simple as you think. Diminishing returns is about to kick in too, even if graphic whores refuse to believe it.
#77LordrvPosted 7/7/2013 6:45:44 AM
WaffleRobot posted...
Shigeru Miyamoto said during a recent investor Q&A that the switch to Wii U development – HD visuals and all – “requires about twice the human resources than before.” Nintendo “may have underestimated the scale of this change and as a result”, which caused games to remain in development longer than expected. Miyamoto now feels that Nintendo is just about past some of these initial difficulties, however.

"When it comes to the scale of software development, Wii U with HD graphics requires about twice the human resources than before. Please allow me to explain that we may have underestimated the scale of this change and as a result, the overall software development took more time than originally anticipated just as we tried to polish the software at the completion phase of development. However, we are almost out of this phase, and we are also trying to create something unique utilizing an easier development approach called “Nintendo Web Framework.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/interstitial.php?url=http://nintendoeverything.com/127600/miyamoto-says-wii-u-development-requires-twice-the-amount-of-human-resources-than-before/

ITT: Nintendo struggles with last gen graphics! LOL!
#78Nostalgia_3Posted 7/7/2013 7:54:24 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
supremeblaster posted...
plasticman13 posted...
supremeblaster posted...
So many kids here thinking they know how this process works.
I mean, "they should've learned from their competitors"?! That's not how it works at all.

Let's say you have a competitor that uses computers and you don't. You follow the competitor some years later and get a computer. Now you'll need a few years of experience to be as efffective as your competitor, this experience can't just be gained by looking at what they're doing, you have to learn it yourself.

>>Enters a discussion about gaming company vs. gaming company
>>Gives an example that compares a computer-using company to a company that doesn't
>>Calls people in this topic "kids"

Did you even read what you posted, child?

It's called an analogy. Try again.

a really bad and inaccurate analogy, sure.

Since you don't understand the analogy, allow me to explain.

Learning and reading about developing HD games only goes so far - only by getting your hands dirty and actually doing it will you get the kind of experience needed to streamline development. You can look at how other companies are doing it, but what works for one company may not work for yours - you can take tips / ideas from companies, but completely stealing their process almost never works.

Short answer - Nintendo had to make HD games to learn how to make HD games. If you honestly don't understand this, that's just sad.