Miyamoto: "Fresh" Experiences Make A New Game, Not New Characters

#31Dr_FacerPosted 7/5/2013 9:37:23 PM
Miyamoto does have a point.

However, the general audience just sees Mario and thinks is the same run and jump thing all over again, or the same racing thing all over again or the same golf thing all over again or the... you get the idea.

The problem is not the quality of the game or the genre it is used in. The problem is that the character is used too much and mainstream audiences are getting burned off it.

Nintendo has other IP's and they should use them. A Zelda style game using the characters from F-Zero could be interesting, and they wouldn't have to force their new ideas on Link.

There are many things they could do, but regardless of what Miyamoto says, the thing is, a lot of people do believe Nintendo "plays it safe" a lot, as in all the time.
#32john_the_IIIPosted 7/5/2013 9:39:33 PM
This probably explains the sticker star fiasco, miyamoto fixing a game that isn't broken with his stupid ideas
#33FuzzyJelloPosted 7/5/2013 9:47:31 PM
The logic is sound, the problem is that in practice it cames down to "Let's put Mario in every genre on the planet so we can make more sales solely because the plumber's name is on it."

While, if true, this would explain why nearly every Mario spin-off ever has been at least decent- because the games are "idea first", not "What can we put Mario in next?"- the reverse is also true; Nintendo is chucking out a ton of possible game ideas by limiting them to an existing brand. Because at some point something has to be lost in tailoring the idea to fit Mario that wouldn't be if it were a new IP.
#34Tsutarja495Posted 7/5/2013 9:56:51 PM
I enjoy that they throw Mario into everything. That sense of familiarity makes me more likely to pay attention to something I wouldn't otherwise care for. No way would I buy Mario Kart, Mario sports, or Mario Party if they had original characters instead, since the genres aren't all that appealing to me.

Same goes for Pokemon, which has been in tons of different genres. I love it.
#35FuzzyJelloPosted 7/5/2013 9:58:35 PM
Tsutarja495 posted...
I enjoy that they throw Mario into everything. That sense of familiarity makes me more likely to pay attention to something I wouldn't otherwise care for. No way would I buy Mario Kart, Mario sports, or Mario Party if they had original characters instead, since the genres aren't all that appealing to me.

Same goes for Pokemon, which has been in tons of different genres. I love it.

Sadly for all I've said I agree with this too much; and I'm not a fan most of the Mario spin-offs.
#36SlimeSwayzePosted 7/5/2013 10:18:50 PM
I don't disagree with him, but it's been a long time since I felt like I was experiencing something "fresh" from a Nintendo-produced game. Probably not since Galaxy. And other than Wii Sports, I don't think I experienced anything else fresh from them from them since the first few years of the Gamecube.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#37Falling DownPosted 7/5/2013 10:22:38 PM
I could agree with this train of thought but it seems like lately we get neither of those two things.
---
DOOD!!! ~Prinnies
#38Beatperson14Posted 7/5/2013 11:40:04 PM
'No new IPs. Mario can be all games.'
#39PunkMcThrustPosted 7/5/2013 11:44:29 PM
The problem being Nintendo hasn't delivered a fresh experience since Pikmin.
---
Armstrong for President
#40ImGanondorfLolPosted 7/5/2013 11:51:29 PM
OpShaft posted...
Mario GTA?!? You're a genius! I'd love to shank Wario and Waluigi!

To be fair, Iwata admits they can't cover every genre and they need to rely on 3rd party support for that.