Miyamoto: "Fresh" Experiences Make A New Game, Not New Characters

#61AkaneJonesPosted 7/6/2013 4:46:19 AM
Jackal posted...
NovaLevossida posted...
He may say to "make a new game," but look at the NSMB series. It's basically the same game over and over and over. Contrast that with the Giana Sisters, which started off as a rip-off of the NES Mario game. Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams goes in wildly new directions, and as a 2D platformer, it does a whole lot of interesting and new things at $15 while NSMBU doesn't get near the creativity at $50.

Here's a trailer for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQcVgc4bmo4

Those graphics look better than that cat Mario game.

I can agree with Shiggy but after about 30 years of Mario and the gang, maybe it's time for not just some new characters but some new types of games too.

That's because they are now ripping off Donkey Kong Country Returns with there Mario. LOL a that squid remind me of this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFoIo9mkmBY
I'm not even going to discus the T-Rex seeming like Final Bowser from New Super Mario Bros. Wii. It has a history so you can see the devs still paying homage to that by using Nintendo for inspiration. Why not though, it's not like there's only so much you can do with a 2D platformer. Mind you hoards of fiddly object doesn't necessarily mean better graphics. It can result in the work looking messy.
#62KaabisteruPosted 7/6/2013 4:57:32 AM
Miyamoto's words is how videogaming industry works when making new games. (Except RPGs maybe).
Because how can you make a good game when characters are good, but the gameplay is crap?

Though I guess, people indeed complain about the lack (Dillon's Rolling Western) of (Wonderful 101) new (New "X"-game from Monolith Soft) IPs.
---
The Official Starfy Of SSB4 /Komayto Of KIU Boards
3DS FC: 2793-0906-0731 / White 2 FC: 1335 5959 6892
#63sonic777Posted 7/6/2013 9:35:00 AM
You know, Nintendo is the company that completely replaces new characters with old ones so the game sells better.

They literally make fresh experiences old experiences in the name of sales. Disgusting.
---
<3 NINTENDO OMG
#64Tsutarja495Posted 7/6/2013 9:39:07 AM
sonic777 posted...
You know, Nintendo is the company that completely replaces new characters with old ones so the game sells better.

They literally make fresh experiences old experiences in the name of sales. Disgusting.

Sales should always come first. Nintendo is making the right decision.
#65cavebear56Posted 7/6/2013 9:54:12 AM
Using ignorant troll logic Mickey Mouse was milked and anything with a brand name or image is milked!

It's marketing strategies that have been out for years. It is nothing new and Sony has tried (and failed miserably) since the PS1 to find the same character brand.

That said I'll take a Mario "rehash" over another poorly created stereotyped protagonist from rough and tough Mr. Badass, loud annoying roid rager filled with teenage angst(Kratos...terrible terrible character), the amnesiac heroic teen with hair that looks like a collection of mountain tops or the ever popular hero with a troubled past shtick.

As I share with Nintendo on this regard. I'd rather have solid gameplay with a character that lacks character than a game with solid gameplay and another terrible character concept.

Vanquish was great because it was quite the satire in that regard and it showed no matter how hilariously pathetic the character and story was GAMEPLAY still made that game amazing.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#66zoogelioPosted 7/6/2013 10:03:44 AM
Chokusetsu posted...
PsienceWins posted...
ADHDguitar posted...
Nintendo really doesn't push out any single game series NEARLY as fast as most modern franchises.

They milk the characters, yes, but the majority of Mario games are once per gen.

We already have 2 Mario platformers on the 3DS and it's only 2 years old. Not even. Plus we have Paper Mario and soon Mario & Luigi Dream Team.

I won't include sports titles or Mario Kart. I call that the milking and I think we're in agreement.

Mario Kart =/= Paper Mario =/= Mario & Luigi = NSMB

Same character, but different gameplay...

How is 1 Mario Kart per console generation, likewise with the sports, "milking"? If Nintendo skipped a generation with Mario Kart, how much of an outcry would you think there would be? Mario Kart Wii came out in 2008. It's been 5 years since it (and Double Dash was 2003, 4 1/2 years earlier). Isn't 5 years a reasonable interval? Yes there are handhelds, but what goes into games and what is expected out of games on handhelds is different from console games. Complaining about Mario Kart just seems like people complaining because they like to complain about Nintendo.
#67ORANGE666Posted 7/6/2013 10:59:00 AM
What a load of crap. There's more to a game than gameplay. Whether it's mario bros, mario golf or mario rpg, they all have the same feeling in presentation. Goofy acting, music etc..

While the gameplay is fresh, the feeling is not. New characters give different personalities to the game.

You could block out mario in all his games and still be Able to tell it's a mario game because all mario games look and feel the same no matter the genre and gameplay.

Miyamoto is clearly losing it, if you're going to keep the same character, then at least get rid of the mario vibe. His comments make him look dumb
#68sonic777Posted 7/6/2013 11:28:05 AM
ORANGE666 posted...
What a load of crap. There's more to a game than gameplay. Whether it's mario bros, mario golf or mario rpg, they all have the same feeling in presentation. Goofy acting, music etc..

While the gameplay is fresh, the feeling is not. New characters give different personalities to the game.

You could block out mario in all his games and still be Able to tell it's a mario game because all mario games look and feel the same no matter the genre and gameplay.

Miyamoto is clearly losing it, if you're going to keep the same character, then at least get rid of the mario vibe. His comments make him look dumb

^^^

This guy gets it.

A non-Mario Nintendo baseball game would be fresh. But as soon as you put Mario in it, you have to tailor it to the feel of Mario.
---
<3 NINTENDO OMG
#69UponADarkThornePosted 7/6/2013 12:15:11 PM
It's a catch 22 for Nintendo.

They decided to make a new game, let's say an arena shooter. They set it in a new IP, it's own little world, unique and fresh - but it's unfamiliar and Nintendo knows that unless it gets absolutely rave reviews it isn't likely to sell.

So they decide to retool it, maybe into a Metroid game. However, since it's a spin-off and doesn't have Samus, it might as well be a new IP. Only diehard Metroid fans are going to care about expanding the lore of the world, so that leaves them wondering if they should just scrap the project...

Then, someone says "what about Mario Paintball?!"

So they slap in Mario characters, mushrooms instead of medpacks and fire flowers instead of grenades, and it sells at least two million copies.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/wolfbornson
#70zoogelioPosted 7/6/2013 12:28:51 PM
GoombaX posted...
PsienceWins posted...
Miyamoto is insane. This is proof.

Actually what he says makes a lot of sense.

I'm surprised how many people don't seem to grasp Nintendo's game development philosophy. I thought it was as plain as day. They are very focused on new gameplay experience. That's why they don't focus so heavily on cutscenes and cinematic storytelling and why they don't use graphics as a substitute for gameplay as so many other companies do. And then there is the obvious- experimenting with the interface. Dual screens, wiimote, and now with the Wii U (Virtual Boy was another example, but was something that never should have left their R&D dept). There was also Four Swords Adventures, designed to use the GBA as controllers for a multiplayer game (I wonder how many people played it as such due to needing 2-4 people and all those GBAs. That might explain why it was the least-selling Zelda ever [besides the CD-i games]).

Nintendo is clearly adverse to creating new characters, IP that lack a unique identity in terms of gameplay. They don't want to make a new platformer without Mario, a Zelda-styled game without Link. They seem to recoil at that idea. Other companies love putting new skins on the same gameplay, just using the character and story premise/setting to differentiate it. Night and day difference from Nintendo. What he explained with Pikmin isn't really anything new.