Why do you think interest in F-Zero kept declining?

#11GloryChaosPosted 7/5/2013 9:11:21 PM
I didn't even find them contradictory. I bolded them because I found it funny that this was true. Much like the space shooter genre (another futuristic genre), these types of games have been done since the mid 80s and haven't really changed in gameplay or design too much. Games that could explore new possibilities due to their settings are still using the same kind of gameplay they started with over two decades ago.

Normally on gamefaqs, when you quote someone without adding anything to their message, it's because you agree with them.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#12paradicio12Posted 7/5/2013 9:13:59 PM
GloryChaos posted...
I didn't even find them contradictory. I bolded them because I found it funny that this was true. Much like the space shooter genre (another futuristic genre), these types of games have been done since the mid 80s and haven't really changed in gameplay or design too much. Games that could explore new possibilities due to their settings are still using the same kind of gameplay they started with over two decades ago.

Normally on gamefaqs, when you quote someone without adding anything to their message, it's because you agree with them.

ah well, been spending too much time on the FF boards, pretty much everything is an insult over there, sorry lol
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#13NintendologicalPosted 7/5/2013 9:19:32 PM
In general, interest in such titles have been at an all time low. Do you remember the original Wipeout for the Playstation, or Extreme G racing (a multiplatform title from the same era)? There was a time when futuristic race games were very popular. By the time Quantum Redshift (Xbox) and F-Zero GX were released, interest in the genre subsided. It is normal for certain genres to wax and wane over time. Arcade racers have seen a similar decline (Ridge Racer, Crusin USA, Daytona USA) while racing simulators (Project Gotham, Forza, Gran Turismo) have continued to hold popular interest.
---
"it detected itself as malware and deleted its own entire existence." - Benjamin_Button
#14oq7sterPosted 7/5/2013 9:36:27 PM
GloryChaos posted...

---
3DS: 1805-3478-2204; NNID: oq7ster
Never ever look up at a tv, doing so will result in deformed gamer face syndrome. metazim53
#15TerotrousPosted 7/6/2013 1:59:30 PM
Nintendological posted...
In general, interest in such titles have been at an all time low. Do you remember the original Wipeout for the Playstation, or Extreme G racing (a multiplatform title from the same era)? There was a time when futuristic race games were very popular. By the time Quantum Redshift (Xbox) and F-Zero GX were released, interest in the genre subsided. It is normal for certain genres to wax and wane over time. Arcade racers have seen a similar decline (Ridge Racer, Crusin USA, Daytona USA) while racing simulators (Project Gotham, Forza, Gran Turismo) have continued to hold popular interest.

Eh, I don't think this is all that accurate. First of all, Arcade Racers still control like 90% of the racing market. Yes, Forza and Gran Turismo are popular, but they're the only sim racing franchises with any selling power, and no new franchises in the genre can ever gain any traction because there's just not any demand for more. Meanwhile there are tons of popular arcade racers, like Mario Kart, NFS, Motorstorm, Ridge Racer, Wipeout, Midnight Club, Burnout, Sonic and All-Stars, etc.

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that simulation racers are an inherently limited genre, their focus on accuracy limits the subject matter they can cover. By contrast, arcade racers can be almost anything, from kart racing to futuristic to anything in between.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery