Anyone else wonder why on earth Xenoblade was said to be the best JRPG this gen?

#1MonadoMasterPosted 7/6/2013 2:24:18 AM
Bought the game after reading good review after good review. Started up the game, and within the first hour or so I knew I hated this game straight away.

I hated the characters a lot, and felt literally no emotional attachment to them. They could have died in the next cutscene and it would have made the game. Oh no! She died! I don't care!

The graphics were god awful as well. Everything just looked awful, and while some have complained it is the Wii limiting it, games like MH Tri and Skyward Sword prove this wrong.

The game also felt pretty unbalanced to me. I got to the bridge bit while searching for the runaway kid, and got slaughtered by every monster. The boss battle there was ridiculous, and I had to grind a hell of a lot to defeat it.

The only good points about this game were the battle system, and to some extent the quests. I liked the battle system - reminded me a bit of Star Ocean - but with more complexity. And the quests... there were a lot of them, but most consisted of find this and that. Not really great.

I just can't understand how this game was praised so highly. It is perhaps one of my least favourite JRPGs ever, and I definitely will not buy any new Monolith Soft games.
#2YamiYugi4400Posted 7/6/2013 2:25:38 AM
2 reasons

1. its a wii game

2. it didn't come to the US so EU overhyped it trying to taunt US gamers
---
Exodia - Obliterate!!!
#3TalentedMPosted 7/6/2013 2:28:10 AM
Because you are but a drop in an ocean of gamers and your opinion wasn't felt through the stream of good reviews it received from gamers.

My assumption of course.

Another thing would be... Opinions, they differ from person to person. So you didn't like it, thats nice, some people did. I would be honestly hard pressed for many people to call out good JRPG's in general. This gen wasn't full of that many gems that I played, so I was pretty starved on the JRPG side of things.

But you know... Thats just what I think.
---
Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive. - MageGuyInfinity
#4BeanBeanKingdomPosted 7/6/2013 2:28:39 AM
So TC, is your username due to prerelease hype, trolling or did you really call yourself after something in a game you don't like?
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#5jbhensPosted 7/6/2013 2:30:32 AM
YamiYugi4400 posted...
2 reasons

1. its a wii game

1. It's one of the better JRPGs of this past generation. Definitely better then Final Fantasy.

2. Didn't come to the US? Funny, I own it and purchased it in the US. Weird.
#6MonadoMaster(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2013 2:30:45 AM
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
So TC, is your username due to prerelease hype, trolling or did you really call yourself after something in a game you don't like?

A mixture of the last two, I think.
#7YamiYugi4400Posted 7/6/2013 2:31:58 AM
jbhens posted...
YamiYugi4400 posted...
2 reasons

1. its a wii game

1. It's one of the better JRPGs of this past generation. Definitely better then Final Fantasy.

2. Didn't come to the US? Funny, I own it and purchased it in the US. Weird.

That's debatable

Oops, i meant to say didn't come to the US at first
---
Exodia - Obliterate!!!
#8Mattatron42Posted 7/6/2013 2:34:01 AM
It has some great characters and a great story. The battles aren't too tough usually, but I was running around doing sidequests. You gain experience from pretty much everything you do so there shouldn't be too much grinding. I would try giving it more time maybe the story and characters will start clicking with you, and if not oh well not everyone is gonna love this game.
---
3ds fc: 4940-5666-3487
NNID: Mattatron
#9Ryan SiPosted 7/6/2013 3:02:12 AM
- I almost never had to grind, but then again I did most of the sidequests so I didn't have to.
- In an era where JRPGs tend to appear obviously linear, the game's open and explorable world was well received
- The characters weren't anything special I admit, but other parts of the game made up for that
- Graphics looked perfectly fine considering it's a Wii game

This is probably the JRPG I've had to grind the least amount in...ever.
---
Currently Playing: Pikmin 2 (Wii), Pandora's Tower (Wii), Super Meat Boy (PC)
#10arvilinoPosted 7/6/2013 3:05:19 AM
I can't really take any of that seriously coming from someone with the username Monado Master.