Anyone else wonder why on earth Xenoblade was said to be the best JRPG this gen?

#21jbhensPosted 7/6/2013 4:43:36 AM
AstralFrost posted...
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
AstralFrost posted...
It was highly overrated just because there was so little else worthwhile on the system. If you read or listen to many reviews from when it came out the reviewer often says something like "its no secret that the Wii hasn't had many hardcore games".

On Playstation there are plenty of JRPGs so they're a dime a dozen, whereas on the Wii it was like Xmas when we got even one.

Simply put if it were released on PS3 it would be decently rated but nothing that special. It got such critical acclaim on the Wii because its basically the only JRPG Wii has thats worth playing.

I love reading myself some deluded hate once in a while.

Don't get me wrong its a decent game but there's no point pretending its something its not just to humour the fact that Wii didn't get many worthwhile JRPGs.

Blah Blah Blah. Jesus, this board gets dumber each day.
#22IzraeilPosted 7/6/2013 4:56:16 AM
AstralFrost posted...
AstralFrost posted...
It was highly overrated just because there was so little else worthwhile on the system. If you read or listen to many reviews from when it came out the reviewer often says something like "its no secret that the Wii hasn't had many hardcore games".

On Playstation there are plenty of JRPGs so they're a dime a dozen, whereas on the Wii it was like Xmas when we got even one.

Simply put if it were released on PS3 it would be decently rated but nothing that special. It got such critical acclaim on the Wii because its basically the only JRPG Wii has thats worth playing.

Don't get me wrong its a decent game but there's no point pretending its something its not just to humour the fact that Wii didn't get many worthwhile JRPGs.

Games, Wii didn't get any worthwhile games.
#23jbhensPosted 7/6/2013 4:58:26 AM
Izraeil posted...
AstralFrost posted...
AstralFrost posted...

Didn't the Wii get 2 of the highest rated games of this past generation? Some of these responses remind me of the movie Idiocracy.
#24RollerBobPosted 7/6/2013 5:10:05 AM
- Graphics are "awful" because of the Wii. However, you got little touches like equipments that change dynamically on characters, 2 huge titans who are visible everytime and a varied environment that doesn't stutter with time changes and such.

- The characters are likeable. What I honestly HATE about FF is that most of the main characters are mopy, depressed and spiky-haired guys overcompensating with huge swords, and when it's not, it's just awkward (see Zidane and Vaan).

- The story is nice, it got a few twists and turns that don't get obvious. Back in January, there were the awards for Best Games of the Year on various web sites and Mass Effect 3 nailed Best RPG most of the time... even though the story was so bad and problematic that the ending had to be re-written.

- The fighting system is easy to learn, and every character can be used individually. For a real-time fighting system, that's a high point right there.

- While the game doesn't force you to mandatorily use certain characters aside from some points ("mandatorily" as in "the game forces you to use that character as your main unit"), it feels comfortable.

- Beautiful music... nuff said ^_^

- I didn't feel like grinding was necessary... except for some sidequests, but never for the main quest. I did make a sidequest blitz because I thought that I would pass a Point of No Return, but aside from that, no problem there.

- The world is HUGE, you never feel restricted, and thank goodness for a warp system.

- Sidequests are varied and plentiful.

- The game is generous with trials and errors. You don't lose your progress if you die in battle, aside from enemies being brought back to full health. The checkpoints don't penalize you from dying.

- Dual audio, which caters to a lot of fans.

- British voice work is awesome... except for Riki. I'm so sorry, but would it have been too much to ask for a female voice for Riki, like his Japanese voice? Seriously, Riki sounds like Pikachu in Japanese, while he sounds like an average man TRYING to speak like a little thing in English.

The game does have its flaws.

- There's an overreliance on Shulk since he's the only one who can hurt Mechons and bestow that ability to others. While weapons can be bought or found to hit Mechons normally for the other characters, they are late in the game.

- There's a few events that cause some sidequests and items to be lost.

- Not many human-sized bosses. That's a major complaint about FF, and Xenoblade has that problem as well. Then again, the giant bosses are awesome to fight, I just wish that there were more small ones.

- Riki's English voice, as explained above.

- Some quicks about the battle system, as sometimes, I tried to retreat and the monster still hit with a melee attack when I was clearly out of range.

- Shulk doesn't have ANY ability that works on humanoids. There's a part where Shulk is rendered useless because he doesn't have backup abilities to hurt certain enemies, not even punches, kicks, a side weapon or hitting with the Monado's hilt or broad side.

- The world is huge... but a mount or vehicle would have been nice. Maybe they have salvaged Mechon parts to make such machines. Travelling on foot can get long after a while, so something to speed things up would have been a nice thing to have. Dude, even FLYING above the world would have been sweet ^_^

Aside from that, it's a pretty solid JRPG. Many went bonker when FF13 came out, but XC blows it out of the water.
---
Yes, I'm Canadian. Yes, I speak french. Yes, I live in Quebec.
#25AstralFrostPosted 7/6/2013 5:11:03 AM
jbhens posted...
Izraeil posted...
AstralFrost posted...
AstralFrost posted...

Didn't the Wii get 2 of the highest rated games of this past generation? Some of these responses remind me of the movie Idiocracy.

Only two? This is proof that it didn't have many highly rated games.
---
Man at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Iwata committed sudoku on himself
#26Rynd1204Posted 7/6/2013 5:47:59 AM
It's all based on opinions of course, however I rank xenoblade as one of my favorite RPGs ever. Looking at my collection now it dates back to the original Nintendo. On major problem I find with the older games are they are great in memory then when you try to play them they are a little rough.
#27KAMMYqueenPosted 7/6/2013 5:52:20 AM
MonadoMaster posted...
Bought the game after reading good review after good review. Started up the game, and within the first hour or so I knew I hated this game straight away.

I hated the characters a lot, and felt literally no emotional attachment to them. They could have died in the next cutscene and it would have made the game. Oh no! She died! I don't care!

The graphics were god awful as well. Everything just looked awful, and while some have complained it is the Wii limiting it, games like MH Tri and Skyward Sword prove this wrong.

The game also felt pretty unbalanced to me. I got to the bridge bit while searching for the runaway kid, and got slaughtered by every monster. The boss battle there was ridiculous, and I had to grind a hell of a lot to defeat it.

The only good points about this game were the battle system, and to some extent the quests. I liked the battle system - reminded me a bit of Star Ocean - but with more complexity. And the quests... there were a lot of them, but most consisted of find this and that. Not really great.

I just can't understand how this game was praised so highly. It is perhaps one of my least favourite JRPGs ever, and I definitely will not buy any new Monolith Soft games.

You must have not been playing the same game as everyone else was or your blind and deft
#28AnclationPosted 7/6/2013 6:05:17 AM
Because it's awesome.
---
We Endorse The Creation of Majora's Mask 3D:
http://www.facebook.com/OperationMoonfall
#29NovaLevossidaPosted 7/6/2013 6:06:49 AM
1. It was on the Wii, where there wasn't a lot of competition.

2. Lack of JRPGs on the Wii means that users have a disproportionate amount of affection for the few JRPGs that come their way. After a long campaign of Rainfall, users would probably have been happy with anything because they were finally getting the games.

3. They're only comparing it to other JRPGs (as stated in the topic title).

4. JRPGs as a genre is very stagnant, so anything that's slightly new or different automatically gets into the running for "best JRPG." It's not hard to one-up anything in that genre.

5. It might have actually have just been that good.
---
Sig under construction.
#30iKhanicPosted 7/6/2013 6:14:47 AM
MonadoMaster posted...
Bought the game after reading good review after good review. Started up the game, and within the first hour or so I knew I hated this game straight away.

I hated the characters a lot, and felt literally no emotional attachment to them. They could have died in the next cutscene and it would have made the game. Oh no! She died! I don't care!

The graphics were god awful as well. Everything just looked awful, and while some have complained it is the Wii limiting it, games like MH Tri and Skyward Sword prove this wrong.

The game also felt pretty unbalanced to me. I got to the bridge bit while searching for the runaway kid, and got slaughtered by every monster. The boss battle there was ridiculous, and I had to grind a hell of a lot to defeat it.

The only good points about this game were the battle system, and to some extent the quests. I liked the battle system - reminded me a bit of Star Ocean - but with more complexity. And the quests... there were a lot of them, but most consisted of find this and that. Not really great.

I just can't understand how this game was praised so highly. It is perhaps one of my least favourite JRPGs ever, and I definitely will not buy any new Monolith Soft games.

Keep going. I felt the EXACT same way you did at the beginning of the game. The game starts off pretty average, with major flaws that you point out. However, after you get through the Ether Mines (this is legitimately one of the worst dungeons created in any video game) the game gets MUCH more bearable. You learn to estimate your strength and evaluate at what point you should run. The characters are actually pretty boring, but an upside to that is none of them are particularly annoying.

Did you seriously get slaughtered by every monster? Maybe you need to reevaluate your fighting style or check out one of the GameFAQs guides. I don't mean this as an offense, but I'm pretty average to bad at video games, and I really didn't have that much trouble, so I think you might be just doing something small that's messing up everything. That said, the game is challenging, such that in some cases, even a small enemy can kill you. That's in part due to the fact that you start every battle with full health, so the devs take full advantage of that fact to make most evenly battled fights somewhat of a challenge.

Try to find quests with named characters, they are a lot better, but they are challenging.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board