Anyone else wonder why on earth Xenoblade was said to be the best JRPG this gen?

#81EndgamePosted 7/6/2013 8:43:56 AM
no, I don't wonder, I know exactly why this run of the mill jRPG is hyped above its peers:

because it's for a Nintendo consle, and thus, jRPG starved Nintendo fans hype it up to no end because it's all they got

I call it Tales of Symphonia syndrome
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#82Deathsword00Posted 7/6/2013 8:48:49 AM(edited)
Because JRPG fans are desperately trying to keep their beloved genre alive and relevant.
---
Yes.
#83HayashiTakaraPosted 7/6/2013 8:52:00 AM
So... you played a game for 1 hr... a RPG for 1 hr and judged it then? I have nothing to say to you.
#84iwindontargue09Posted 7/6/2013 8:58:44 AM
I didn't like the game either but at least it wasn't FF XIII

But yeah I actually hated the battle system. Everything was infinitely usable and based on countdown times so in most cases the best strategy was to just use everything as soon as you could otherwise you were just using a basic attack. Everything was way too dependent on level too, you either crushed monsters or you just weren't strong enough yet regardless of strategy.

I liked the setting but he characters were pretty lame and the story was brought down by a lot of things. Sure the world was huge but it wasnt filled with anything I got pretty far into the game but it just didn't hold my interest so I never finished.

Oh man and the quests, over 400 and they were all the same thing!!!!
#85KingBeetlePosted 7/6/2013 8:59:23 AM
arvilino posted...
I can't really take any of that seriously coming from someone with the username Monado Master.

---
http://www.youtube.com/user/godunman
I do Let's Plays. Er, sometimes.
#86PlanescapedPosted 7/6/2013 9:00:16 AM
My favorite JRPG of this gen was Resonance of Fate, with Lost Odyssey being a close second.

But many hated Resonance of Fate, so I can understand why some people may or may not like Xenoblade.
---
The clouds pass... the rain does its work and all individual beings flow into their forms." The Book of Changes
#87Scisor50Posted 7/6/2013 9:16:25 AM
AstralFrost posted...
GoombaX posted...
AstralFrost posted...
dancing_cactuar posted...
AstralFrost posted...
the graphics really held it back,

Now, don't go out and call me a liar if this is wrong, but didn't Monolith soft do some magics with the graphical capability by making the graphics average, but the draw distance amazing?

Also, nice cherry picking from the IGN review, they say at the end that it's the best JRPG of the generation.

It was the first review I picked actually and I just went straight to graphics.

Since we're cherry picking, why don't we take a look at the next sentence?

The fact that it looks like it's from the last generation is its only drawback

Like I said, held back by Wii. I never said it wasn't a decent game.

Lol held back to what? He already stated it was the best JRPG of the generation.

Held back from being a better game and reaching a wider audience since it was limited by the console.

You don't get more Sony fanboy than this guy. He's just hating on a good game.

Wii HAS the greater audience (the console that sold the most out of the three, hi?) and the fact the game looks "graphically" bad is not to blame on the console. The Last Story, anyone?
It's the same nonsense that happened in Gamecube until RE4 came out.

Also just want to note, because some reviewer says it is this way doesn't mean it actually is. Especially if it's IGN.
---
Today will be the day.
#88diggyfreshPosted 7/6/2013 9:22:45 AM
MonadoMaster posted...
Bought the game after reading good review after good review. Started up the game, and within the first hour or so I knew I hated this game straight away.

I hated the characters a lot, and felt literally no emotional attachment to them. They could have died in the next cutscene and it would have made the game. Oh no! She died! I don't care!

I felt the same way about the initial characters. Shulk is annoying. Rayn is OK. But later characters are cool.
---
CURRENTLY PLAYING:: Metroid Prime Trilogy
PROGRESS:: MP1 @ 90%
#89VernnonPosted 7/6/2013 9:23:14 AM
dancing_cactuar posted...
AstralFrost posted...
the graphics really held it back,

Now, don't go out and call me a liar if this is wrong, but didn't Monolith soft do some magics with the graphical capability by making the graphics average, but the draw distance amazing?

Also, nice cherry picking from the IGN review, they say at the end that it's the best JRPG of the generation.

No point in telling him, most of us, including him know this already. He's just trolling, and if you ask me it's getting quite pathetic on his end, TC jumped ship already, he's the only troll that decided to stay... so sad.
#90Holy_OblivionPosted 7/6/2013 9:28:13 AM
It lived up to the hype and more for me. I expected it to be meh. Came close to being my favorite game of all time. Sorry you don't feel the same after the first hour of a 60+ hour game.
---
Visit my youtube page for game and anime vlogs, and plenty of other stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BaoZakeruga?show_guided_help=1