Anyone else wonder why on earth Xenoblade was said to be the best JRPG this gen?

#91gohoanqPosted 7/6/2013 9:31:41 AM
MonadoMaster posted...
Bought the game after reading good review after good review. Started up the game, and within the first hour or so I knew I hated this game straight away.

I hated the characters a lot, and felt literally no emotional attachment to them. They could have died in the next cutscene and it would have made the game. Oh no! She died! I don't care!

The graphics were god awful as well. Everything just looked awful, and while some have complained it is the Wii limiting it, games like MH Tri and Skyward Sword prove this wrong.

The game also felt pretty unbalanced to me. I got to the bridge bit while searching for the runaway kid, and got slaughtered by every monster. The boss battle there was ridiculous, and I had to grind a hell of a lot to defeat it.

The only good points about this game were the battle system, and to some extent the quests. I liked the battle system - reminded me a bit of Star Ocean - but with more complexity. And the quests... there were a lot of them, but most consisted of find this and that. Not really great.

I just can't understand how this game was praised so highly. It is perhaps one of my least favourite JRPGs ever, and I definitely will not buy any new Monolith Soft games.

I felt this exact stuff when I got it.. lol I got it after beating Ni no Kuni.. and I thought "this is nowhere near as good as that.. what the hell is with the hype..?" I feel it was just that.. hype. I couldn't even bring myself to beat it. :/ I looked MONTHS for this sob game too lol
---
---
My 3DS FC is 2277 - 8061 - 3461. Wii U ID- Gohan-9
#92FantasticCat42Posted 7/6/2013 9:32:39 AM
There was definitely a limited field of JRPGs to choose from, as the WRPG seemed to dominate this generation. Not that I'm complaining, I love WRPGs :)

Xenoblade was certainly among the best of the JRPG bunch, but I would opt for Lost Odyssey as my personal favorite.
---
.... I play my mini mini Moog.
#93MoonBoundPosted 7/6/2013 9:32:50 AM
Vernnon posted...
dancing_cactuar posted...
AstralFrost posted...
the graphics really held it back,

Now, don't go out and call me a liar if this is wrong, but didn't Monolith soft do some magics with the graphical capability by making the graphics average, but the draw distance amazing?

Also, nice cherry picking from the IGN review, they say at the end that it's the best JRPG of the generation.

No point in telling him, most of us, including him know this already. He's just trolling, and if you ask me it's getting quite pathetic on his end, TC jumped ship already, he's the only troll that decided to stay... so sad.

Graphics looked blurry to me on the wii if I recall.
---
I used to be an adventurer like you until I took an arrow in the knee, microsoft said deal with it!
#94VernnonPosted 7/6/2013 9:41:49 AM
MoonBound posted...
Vernnon posted...
dancing_cactuar posted...
AstralFrost posted...
the graphics really held it back,

Now, don't go out and call me a liar if this is wrong, but didn't Monolith soft do some magics with the graphical capability by making the graphics average, but the draw distance amazing?

Also, nice cherry picking from the IGN review, they say at the end that it's the best JRPG of the generation.

No point in telling him, most of us, including him know this already. He's just trolling, and if you ask me it's getting quite pathetic on his end, TC jumped ship already, he's the only troll that decided to stay... so sad.

Graphics looked blurry to me on the wii if I recall.

Don't get me wrong, the Wii graphics were not as good as the ps3's, and 360's. But you can't seriously say that graphics alone is what held it back, and that's pretty much how he's putting it. He even had the nerve to cherry pick IGN's review on it.
#95Drexlerfan22Posted 7/6/2013 10:00:15 AM
It was/is a really good game.

I don't know how you can call the graphics "god awful." Yeah, they're limited by being on the Wii, but not sure how you can say MH Tri looks great and XB looks awful. They both look fantastic despite being on the Wii, and IMO XB looks better. Tri doesn't have any of the giant, beautiful, sweeping vistas XB has (Bionis' Knee, the Fallen Arm, forest waterfall area, Alcamoth).

Not sure what you mean by "unbalanced," either. If you are within a couple levels of something, it will be doable. If you're several levels below, it will be hard. If you're several levels above, it will be easy. Not exactly an opaque method of doing difficulty.

The questing system was awesome because they all contributed toward an end goal of rebuilding Colony 6. Not that many games find a way to make every quest contribute something towards a final goal. Usually side-quests are just that: side-quests.

Only thing I hated about (I agree with you on this point), is that the characters are terrible. Shulk in particular was a total wet rag. I couldn't bring myself to care about him in the least. And really most of the characters were like that. Reyn was vaguely alright, he at least showed some conviction occasionally. Melia was the only character I actually liked. So in my view, 1.5 good characters out of 7. Fail.

I'm not sure whether or not it's actually the best JRPG this gen or not. It's at least in the conversation, though. Ni no Kuni and Tales of Vesperia are in the conversation. Valkyria Chronicles wins hands-down if we're counting Strategy RPGs as JRPGs, but not sure we are.
#96bigjclassicPosted 7/6/2013 10:03:20 AM
AkaneJones posted...
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
AstralFrost posted...
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
AstralFrost posted...
It was highly overrated just because there was so little else worthwhile on the system. If you read or listen to many reviews from when it came out the reviewer often says something like "its no secret that the Wii hasn't had many hardcore games".

On Playstation there are plenty of JRPGs so they're a dime a dozen, whereas on the Wii it was like Xmas when we got even one.

Simply put if it were released on PS3 it would be decently rated but nothing that special. It got such critical acclaim on the Wii because its basically the only JRPG Wii has thats worth playing.

I love reading myself some deluded hate once in a while.

Don't get me wrong its a decent game but there's no point pretending its something its not just to humour the fact that Wii didn't get many worthwhile JRPGs.

You should try to remember the real reason why it was well-received. Hint: being on the Wii had nothing to do with it, it was about how it modernized the stale jrpg genre. Comparisons arose specifically with PS3 jrpgs who felt too archaic and linear throughout the entire seventh generation.

Don't both, because Wii got a few less version of Harvest Moon & Rune Factory compared to Atelier on PS3, and Fire Emblem to Disgaea, and Arc Rise Phantasia to Neptunia. Eeveryone heard of those PS3 crappy NIS cross-overs where as Wii got a blind eye put to Opoona. Then they pretend Final Fantasy XIII's & Star Ocean 4 by being named over-rank Xenoblade & The Last Story.

So getting 1 more version of the same game per game automatically means the PS3 did better. It's like see Final Fantasy XIII is two (panned crappy) games were as Xenoblade is only one. There were two Disgaea grind fests and only one Fire Emblem. They made 3 crappy Netunia's and only one Arc Rise Fantasia, it must have done better.

Oh and for some reason Wii's ""jRPG" end up as more Riogue-likes which restricted their audience. People are going to ignore Chocobo's Dungeon, Shiren, & Baroque because someone dumped Demon's Soul on PS3 and some how the game was a hit. Maybe it's getting ranked by stealing Wii's Tales of games too... could be satisfied with it own pair sit steals Wii's and 360s.

THIS
---
NNID(WiiU): Ryusaki_J PSN: classicviolence
My channel: youtube.com/classicviolence
#97MHGALEPosted 7/6/2013 10:07:32 AM
It's probably one of the best this gen. It has some damn fine competition though

The JRPG crowd has been small this gen though, so while the competition is tough it's also very small:

Tales of Vesperia
Lost Odyssey
Demon's/Dark Souls (both)
---
http://backloggery.com/KyleJR
#98huckbeinePosted 7/6/2013 10:15:23 AM
Ive played xenoblade, and its good but not the best RPG. It goes to Demons Souls.

I think Xenoblade is just like Tales of Symphonia for the gamecube, like the wii is starved with games that are great to play, so anything remotely good, nintendo fans will praise it too much.
#99AllFictionPosted 7/6/2013 10:25:09 AM
http://www.destructoid.com/xenoblade-chronicles-226518.phtml

this article show why Wii is the best console for Xenoblade,
---
pardon me if my grammar suck...
#100Banjo2553Posted 7/6/2013 10:31:45 AM(edited)
apolloooo posted...
aand tc's never coming back.

successful troll is successful

He admitted himself in this topic that his username was made to troll Xenoblade, so I don't know why this topic is continuing.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz