Which Nintendo CEO do you prefer?

#51P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 7/6/2013 11:51:29 PM(edited)
Emerald_Melios posted...
Prince Shondronai posted...
He wanted 3rd-parties to be better, whereas Sony allowed them to go down an easier path, which leads us to the state things are in today: 3rd-parties whining that they can't profit from million-selling titles, 3rd-parties burying their most-beloved icons, 3rd-parties locking downloadable features behind a paywall that would have been included with the base game a decade or so ago.

They've become soft and spoiled. Yamauchi's tactics seemed cruel, but in the end they might have been the kindest way to properly handle things.

I'm pretty sure that was caused by the PS3, which was ten years after the PS1. It was the PS3+Xbox 360 that heralded the dark times and decline of gaming. And now it's Iwata that's ensuring Nintendo remains a beacon of refuge while Microsoft drags everything into hell.

I'd say it was late in the 6th Gen that third parties came to realize how much leeway MicroSony had given them, and what they could get away with. It is in the start of the 7th Gen that third parties began to revert back to what they were during the 2nd Gen and you can see what has happened to them as a result.

It's funny that the main reason third parties don't want to support Nintendo now is because they'd need to compete with Nintendo's games. Yet, with the start of the 8th Gen, Nintendo gave them a chance to shine without being overshadowed and they still refused to do anything substantial. Both the 3DS and the Wii U have gone through the same thing. Third parties where given a chance and they failed, leaving it to Nintendo to jump the sales on their own but then they gotta compete with Nintendo's games which is what they were trying to avoid in the first place, nya?

Now we've got Mario 3DLand with 8.3 million sales with the best selling third party title on the 3DS, Monster Hunter, only having 1.9 Million in comparison.

Now, not all companies whine about this, and even more change the subject matter but the main argument is that "third party games don't sell on Nintendo systems". Maybe it's not Nintendo, Nya?
---
NNID: Ko-san
"SUUUPERRR!"
#52iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2013 11:53:37 PM
GloryChaos posted...
Third parties killed Atari consoles.

It was actually Roy Kassar
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board
#53Oni_TaedoPosted 7/7/2013 2:24:37 AM
cavebear56 posted...
I think I'd be the best...I'd make Goomba cupcakes for all the system owners.

Delivered house to house by a man dressed as Yoshi.

I guess I'd say Iwata. He seems level headed enough.

Can it be Satomi Korogi dressed as Yoshi?
I'd like that a lot more.
---
TvC Friend Code: 4598-2098-0537
PSN ID: Oni_Ishida
#54ORANGE666Posted 7/7/2013 10:07:20 AM(edited)
Do people really believe Iwata was behind the wii?

The wii started development in 2001 after sony showed of their ps move ps2 accessory later released on ps3 due to color tracking tech not working. Yes, Nintendo copied it, how quickly people forget.

Iwata became ceo in 2003.

Yamauchi didn't care about games, he was trying to create a monopoly. If sony didn't come into gaming, companies like atlus and level 5 wouldn't exist.

Nintendo wanted to create an industry with only AAA games. When developers got pissed at their business practices, Yamauchi told them they were with them or against them. When square soft left, he said rpg's are for depressed gamers playing slow boring games. He even delayed giving square a gba liscense because he didn't want square back developing on their system.

He single handedly killed third party support with his crazy high liscensing and contracts. People whine now about companies going bankrupt this generation, it would not even be close to what nintendo would have done back then.

Iwata singlehandedly saved nintendo, he was left with a company that no developers liked and scarred by poor business practices and is trying his best to turn nintendo around

He is just doing what he can with the remains he was left with
#55Pete41608Posted 7/7/2013 1:43:53 PM
GodofLaziness posted...
Yamuchi is the reason why 3rd parties avoids Nintendo.

This.

If you choose Iwata for turning Nintendo more 'Casual' just remember, Yamauchi has damn near destroyed 3rd Party support for Nintendo.

If Yamauchi was more open to 3rd Parties during N64, most Nintendo gamers today would actually buy more 3rd Party games on Nintendo platforms.
---
Wii U/PSN: Pete41608
3DS: 1203-9244-2418
#56mini_blightPosted 7/7/2013 1:51:27 PM
ORANGE666 posted...
Do people really believe Iwata was behind the wii?

The wii started development in 2001 after sony showed of their ps move ps2 accessory later released on ps3 due to color tracking tech not working. Yes, Nintendo copied it, how quickly people forget.

Iwata became ceo in 2003.

Yamauchi didn't care about games, he was trying to create a monopoly. If sony didn't come into gaming, companies like atlus and level 5 wouldn't exist.

Nintendo wanted to create an industry with only AAA games. When developers got pissed at their business practices, Yamauchi told them they were with them or against them. When square soft left, he said rpg's are for depressed gamers playing slow boring games. He even delayed giving square a gba liscense because he didn't want square back developing on their system.

He single handedly killed third party support with his crazy high liscensing and contracts. People whine now about companies going bankrupt this generation, it would not even be close to what nintendo would have done back then.

Iwata singlehandedly saved nintendo, he was left with a company that no developers liked and scarred by poor business practices and is trying his best to turn nintendo around

He is just doing what he can with the remains he was left with

So have you completely lost your mind or did Sony lay you off from your viral marketing job here?
#57zoogelioPosted 7/7/2013 4:46:44 PM
Golden Maven posted...
Damn, I just read Yamauchi's wiki article. The man had character, not taking any crap from employees.

You focus on *that* and not his major philanthropy, or his instincts which were more on the mark than they were wrong (he was wrong with his original effort to diversify and with his design philosophy with the N64)?
#58zoogelioPosted 7/7/2013 4:55:20 PM
And Yamauchi is not an undead overlord. He's still alive.
#59EndgamePosted 7/7/2013 7:44:43 PM
Yamauchi has made some blunders, like this one:

"People who play RPGs are depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games."

.....he called jRPGs "games"

even great men like Yamauchi make mistakes, but I forgive him for incorrectly categorizing interactive movies as games, because he's ****ing Yamauchi

but yeah, that statement is pretty accurate, besides the "game" part

Yamauchi admitted at the 2001 Nintendo Space World event that he had intentionally ordered the Nintendo 64 to be difficult to program games for. The idea was to repel untalented third-party developers from the console, and hence tighten the quality of third-party games

and this is EXACTLY why Yamauchi was great, he actually gave a **** about quality

look at what happened as soon as third parties were given an easier alternative on PS1, PS1 and PS2 had very few good games (and no, not the ones you're thinking of, spare me your horrible lists full of FFs, MGS, and their ilk), they were all quantity no quality

we would have been MUCH better off if Yamauchi got his monopoly and we had an industry where only the strong survive

Yamauchi. "I have been saying this for some time, but customers are not interested in grand games with higher-quality graphics and sound and epic stories. Only people who do not know the videogame business would advocate the release of next-generation machines when people are not interested in cutting-edge technologies."

heh, you Iwata fanboys seriously think this isn't true? even though Wii's success proves this statement correct? when Angry Birds is the new big thing? (you know what Angry Birds' story is? just one image of pigs stealing the birds' eggs) when Iwata reducing Mario to quick cash-in rehash sequels, with minimal story, recycled music, and lower quality graphics than the competition is getting Nintendo tons of profit? even as you Nintendo Defense Force members try to defend Wii U with "the strongest console never won its generation!"

seriously?

seriously?
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#60PokejedservoPosted 7/8/2013 8:37:10 AM
There are plenty of reasons why Yamauchi has a love/hate relationship with the Nintendo fanbase. On one hand Yamauchi was one of the reasons why the NES and SNES did so well while on the other hand he was one of the main reasons why the N64 (and to a lesser extent Gamecube) did not do so well. There are other issues such as "Well the NES and SNES did have better 3rd party support than any of the more recent Nintendo systems did! Yeah only because Yamauchi practically forced them to!"

Say what you will about how controlling Nintendo was back then during the NES/SNES era (in which over the course of the 4th console gen some of Nintendo's controlling practices were deemed illegal by the US Legal system). But the real reason why Yamauchi has had any backlash was due to how the N64 went especially considering on how he wanted to make the N64 hard to develop for due to "weeding out untalented developers". (And to mention about how that tactic backfired would be a severe understatement.) However there is one question to ask, Yamauchi went out of his way to make sure the N64 would be hard to develop for but it used Cartridges instead of Discs. Wouldn't that already make the N64 hard to develop for? So does this mean that even if the N64 was still a cartridge-based system it still could've been more developer friendly?

But still both Yamauchi's supporters and his detractors do have plenty of valid points on how his legacy with Nintendo has its ups and downs. After all nobody can deny on how the NES and SNES eras were quite the golden age for Nintendo however not many can deny that there were a lot of problems during the N64 era that Nintendo is still trying to solve even to this day. As for Iwata well...

The_Hyphenator posted...
Iwata, definitely. Yamauchi was a dinosaur, and his practices really ended up hurting Nintendo during the N64 and early Gamecube eras. I know it's popular for some people to bash Iwata, but his approach has been very successful up until recently, and with the company restructuring to put him directly in charge of Nintendo America and Nintendo Japan, I think it'll be smooth sailing once again.

I am inclining to agree as I am curious over what Nintendo's plans for restructuring itself are going to go. Could this mean that Nintendo will change a lot more (and for the better) or will it mean very little change in the future? But still the idea of Iwata being in charge of both Nintendo of Japan and America does have potential and I do look forward to see what would happen here.
---
Behind The Voice- http://behindthevoiceactors.com/
My VA Resume Site: http://pokejedservovoiceactingresume.wetpaint.com/