Wii U should've been released in 2013

#31Gulma1Posted 7/7/2013 5:35:20 PM
The problem was game delays which I guess you could say Nintendo is partially to blame just as much as developers
#32Beatperson14Posted 7/7/2013 5:36:54 PM
AstralFrost posted...
I'd agree if it came with significantly increased hardware at no extra cost to the consumer.
#33grandabxPosted 7/7/2013 5:37:54 PM
Second_Hokage posted...
Early adopters (like me) got screwed hard, and without any compensation, even when Nintendo admitted that it was their fault.

It should've been released later this year along side the games Pikmin 3, SM3DW, and DKTF. Now that would've pushed units, especially with Mario kart and Smash right there in the horizon.

What was the reason why it was released in 2012?

why did you buy a console with no games that you really wanted? are you an impulse buyer?
#34Tsutarja495Posted 7/7/2013 5:39:31 PM
I'm an early adopter because I wanted Nintendo to have my money faster. If I had waited for a price drop, not only would Nintendo have gotten my money later, they would have gotten less of it.
#35Xenesis XenonPosted 7/7/2013 5:41:27 PM
Golden Maven posted...
If Nintendo is claiming that the Wii U is selling at a loss... Then they're probably trying to include R&D costs into the equation somehow. Either way, the hardware itself isn't worth the retail price. There's just no damn way.

You missed the entire Launch thing where it was continually stated that Nintendo didn't make any money on a Wii U until they sold at least one game? No doubt they make money on the Deluxe, but the basic's margin was well reported to be in the red.

It was famous for being the very first Nintendo home console sold at a loss at launch.

I think you greatly underestimate the cost of producing the tablet controller and the actual hardware in the thing.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#36DiscostewSMPosted 7/7/2013 5:41:36 PM
Nintendo pretty much had their hardware finalized a good year before it went retail. Delaying it would not have affected much change in hardware configurations. The main point of it releasing in 2012 was to get any head start it could before the other consoles came out. Any later time would have resulted in worse sales.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#37trenkenPosted 7/7/2013 5:44:27 PM
Second_Hokage posted...
Early adopters (like me) got screwed hard, and without any compensation, even when Nintendo admitted that it was their fault.

It should've been released later this year along side the games Pikmin 3, SM3DW, and DKTF. Now that would've pushed units, especially with Mario kart and Smash right there in the horizon.

What was the reason why it was released in 2012?

Pretty sure it was because the Wii was absolutely tanking. Look at the numbers, it was not selling anymore, therefore Nintendo's revenue of course would have dropped with it, and they needed to get it going again.

They got the system ready as soon as they could and put it out knowing there wouldnt be many games for a while. Sucks for early adopters I guess, but for them it would make sense. What point is there to sit on the thing for a whole year? What, just so it could launch with more games for you? Not sure they worry about that too much.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#38stop3Posted 7/7/2013 6:28:57 PM
Second_Hokage posted...

Wait, this doesn't make any sense at all. In what way did early adopters get screwed? And Nintendo admitted what was their fault?

I bought a Wii U on launch day, and I can't see how I've been screwed in any way at all. I got the exact thing that I paid for, and I'm happy with it.
#39stop3Posted 7/7/2013 6:33:43 PM
LordBowser posted...
Early adopters were not screwed, we just didn't get any decent games for a while.

That's just nonsense. There were excellent games available right at launch. Super Mario Bros. Wii U, Trine 2, and Nintendo Land were very, very good games.

(And I've heard excellent things about Mass Effect 3, and Zombie U but I haven't played them.)
#40FFXIgaiaknightPosted 7/7/2013 6:36:04 PM
stop3 posted...
Second_Hokage posted...

Wait, this doesn't make any sense at all. In what way did early adopters get screwed? And Nintendo admitted what was their fault?

I bought a Wii U on launch day, and I can't see how I've been screwed in any way at all. I got the exact thing that I paid for, and I'm happy with it.

Nintendo messed up by not estimating the effort it takes to jump from SD to HD and as a result games like pikmin 3 where delayed outside of launch and effectively caused some launch owners to feel buyers remorse cause there was no first party content coming. Thankfully i didnt have this problem :)
---
3DS FC: 4124-5007-1536
NNI: Gaiaknight