Should the Wii U have used X86?

#1jrb363Posted 7/7/2013 8:56:44 PM
I know there's been a lot of debate recently regarding the Wii U and it's power or lack thereof. I'm fairly well versed in the differences between the Power PC and X86 architecture and based on my knowledge I think Nintendo may have jumped the shark in using something that even Apple has turned their back on.

I fully believe if Nintendo had just bitten the bullet and gone with a reasonably spec'd off-the-shelf or semi-customized x86 processor we would not be seeing comments from developers about the difficulty in porting to the Wii U or the extreme lack of 3rd party support the system is currently facing. Also, since it's easier to scale games based off of the same cpu architecture I fully believe that had Nintendo gone with ANY type of x86 processor we would be seeing much improved 3rd party support across the board for the Wii U.

Granted the games wouldn't look 100% as good as their upcoming PS4/One counterparts but I believe 110% that most 3rd parties would at least considered throwing Nintendo a bone. For example right now Nintendo is missing nearly all sports titles such as NCAA Football, NBA 2k, Madden, and Fifa. To ignore those losses is foolish because millions of gamers such as myself would love to have the Wii U be my sports console of choice using the Gamepad. Drawing up plays on the fly, picking plays your opponent can't see, using it as a 'first person' view mode while simultaneously viewing the game in 3rd person on the big screen or vise versa. The opportunities would have been unlimited in ways to expand the game-play but companies aren't even considering the Wii U and I place the majority of the blame on the processor architecture.

Also, with Nintendo admitting yesterday that they did not accurately budget enough manpower for HD titles ( http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/06/miyamoto-manpower-for-hd-development-was-underestimated/ ) I can't help but feel they are falling further and further behind. Do you think going with a standard x86 architecture would have helped Nintendo? Why or why not? How do you think this would have helped them?
---
I fundamentally believe that the initial market that we need to make sure we appeal to with any new platform... is really the gaming audience. - Kaz Hirai
#2KingTurtPosted 7/7/2013 9:00:37 PM
It would still be in the same situation.

x86 Architecture would have simply made it easier to port games from the PS4 and Xbox180.

Most developers would still be waiting for the system install base to increase, which pretty much most of them are right now.
---
http://www. change.org/petitions /square-enix-bring- kingdom-hearts-3-to-the-wiiu-alongside -the-ps4-and- xbox-one-3 [Remove any Spaces]
#3KingTurtPosted 7/7/2013 9:01:36 PM
To answer your question though, yes, it should have had x86 Architecture. You'd probably see more third party games being announced for it then.
---
http://www. change.org/petitions /square-enix-bring- kingdom-hearts-3-to-the-wiiu-alongside -the-ps4-and- xbox-one-3 [Remove any Spaces]
#4RahzarXPosted 7/7/2013 9:07:33 PM
It has NOTHING to do with the graphical capabilities.

Developers do not want to make a game that doesn't utilize the controller.
---
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."
#5Warmonger222Posted 7/7/2013 10:14:25 PM
I think that if the Wii U had been just as powerful as the PS4, been flying off the shelves, and been even easier to develop for...third parties would still shun it like the plague. I dont think they will come back to Nintendo no matter what.
---
Sega is what EAin't - Crazy_Tank51
Wont buy a non-Nintendo console until people stop pretending Nintendo doesn't count.
#6petran78Posted 7/7/2013 10:26:58 PM
nintendo now live in their own closed world. No need to adopt something that would turn wii u into a pc.
Keep things as simple as possible. because this would mean they'd had to utilize the next gen api to keep up with the competition. Might better have released a powerful console already.
---
Q.You want so see some other stuff? What Console? A.Console? Q.What platform? A.Uh, Moral Turpitude?
Q.PC it is, then.
#7DiscostewSMPosted 7/7/2013 10:37:39 PM
It likely wouldn't change the situation with 3rd-party developers much, because they can't compete with Nintendo's software.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#8STN79Posted 7/7/2013 10:37:49 PM
I have no idea what that is nor do i care. I just wanna play the games i'm interested in playing.
All that 16-bit jive they used to brag about in the 90's meant little to me either. The technical side of gaming never mattered much to me. If it looked fun and interesting i'd play it. The same applies with me regarding todays games as well.
#9TheFlamingCPosted 7/7/2013 10:43:17 PM
It probably would remain the same position, because 3rd party devs have always been reluctant about supporting Nintendo. Well, not always, but I'm sure you get what I mean. It might have helped it a bit, but then it's likely Wii mode wouldn't have happened.
---
Nope, don't have a sig. Maybe later.
#10Sad_FacePosted 7/7/2013 10:46:57 PM
I should remind you that the CPUs for the PS4 and X1 are used in mobile phones; they're much weaker for gaming, core for core, than the Wii U's own. And seeing as Ubisoft had no problem porting the PC version over to the Wii U, I doubt having x86 architecture would have made a noticeable difference. It's too early in generation to say right now.