Should the Wii U have used X86?

#21Aaron44126Posted 7/8/2013 6:29:55 AM
And forget backwards compatibility with Wii software if x86 is used...
#22Virus66Posted 7/8/2013 6:42:33 AM
Sad_Face posted...
Nothing suggests that the Wii U's CPU is equal to, let alone superior to, the PS4/Xbox One CPUs in per-core gaming performance.

https://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-and-xbox-one-s-amd-jaguar-cpu-examined/0116297

Is it any good? In a word, no. Not in a gaming context, it stated. To be fair to AMD, the A4-5000 is a nice chip for its intended market mobile devices at the cheaper end of the market. But as a gaming CPU?

In raw processing terms, these four Jaguar cores have slightly less than a quarter the grunt of a Core i5-3570K. Its the same story on a core-by-core basis. Less than one quarter of the performance.

Wow... if there is any validity to that, then wow...
I have the i5-3570 in my PC right now and it's only a quarter of that? Holy balls.
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
I'm a living contradiction. I own a PS3 and a Wii U. A 3DS and a Vita. And the catch to that? I enjoy them all!
#23SolisPosted 7/8/2013 7:14:34 AM
Sad_Face posted...
Nothing suggests that the Wii U's CPU is equal to, let alone superior to, the PS4/Xbox One CPUs in per-core gaming performance.

https://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-and-xbox-one-s-amd-jaguar-cpu-examined/0116297

Is it any good? In a word, no. Not in a gaming context, it stated. To be fair to AMD, the A4-5000 is a nice chip for its intended market mobile devices at the cheaper end of the market. But as a gaming CPU?

In raw processing terms, these four Jaguar cores have slightly less than a quarter the grunt of a Core i5-3570K. Its the same story on a core-by-core basis. Less than one quarter of the performance.

Oh the Jaguar cores are definitely very weak compared to a proper desktop CPU, I most certainly agree with that. But the question wasn't whether a Jaguar based CPU could come close to an i5-3570 in gaming performance, it's whether they're slower than the Wii U's CPU in per-core performance. And there's still little to suggest they are.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#24Sad_FacePosted 7/8/2013 7:17:31 AM
Oh the Jaguar cores are definitely very weak compared to a proper desktop CPU, I most certainly agree with that. But the question wasn't whether a Jaguar based CPU could come close to an i5-3570 in gaming performance, it's whether they're slower than the Wii U's CPU in per-core performance. And there's still little to suggest they are.

What's there to suggest an off the shelf CPU built originally for mobile devices can beat a CPU customized strictly for gaming on a core for core basis?
#25Mavrick588Posted 7/8/2013 7:24:58 AM
x86 has a LOT more overhead than a PowerPC acretexture.
Around 150% more if i recall correctly.
PowerPC is just better at running games, so I'd rather Nintendo go with that and bring us some truly great games without the complications that can come from using x86.
For all my x86 related needs (gaming and otherwise) I have a PC.
PS4 and xbox1 using x86 just means more games will be ported to PC anyway, because it will be easy.
Even square is thinking of porting FFXV and KHIII to PC, something they have not done in recent years. Sony and MS just gave PC a BIG edge IMO.
---
"Video-games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll"- Shigeru Miyamoto
#26trenkenPosted 7/8/2013 7:30:36 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but wouldnt this have driven the price up? There is 2 reasons why Nintendo cut back on the power, they didnt want to have to sell a $450 machine with a tablet controller packed in, and for some reason they seemed very concerned about power consumption. They were able to keep it very, very low with how its currently built.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#27blegit97Posted 7/8/2013 7:34:31 AM
Mavrick588 posted...
PowerPC is just better at running games, so I'd rather Nintendo go with that and bring us some truly great games without the complications that can come from using x86.
PS4 and xbox1 using x86 just means more games will be ported to PC anyway, because it will be easy.
Even square is thinking of porting FFXV and KHIII to PC, something they have not done in recent years. Sony and MS just gave PC a BIG edge IMO.

I think it goes the other way around to. Xbone and PS4 will get more PC ports (probably why Witcher 3 is coming to PS4 and xbone so soon). I guess that means that gamers win.
#28trenkenPosted 7/8/2013 7:36:06 AM
I think when you look at the PS3 and X1, they arent trying to sell systems with controllers with screens in them, so that money that Nintendo has to dump into producing the gamepad, Sony and MS can just put into raw power, and even without tablet controllers those systems are still $400-500.

I think if the U had anything close what those systems have in it, it would be $500-600. I totally get the lack of power in it. To make the thing affordable it made sense to cut back, and even doing that, its still not selling at below $400. Could you imagine in this were $500? Lulz
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#29blegit97Posted 7/8/2013 7:40:46 AM
My answer is yes. Backwards compatibility, yet useful at times, is meaningless to me. If I got a WiiU, I would still keep my Wii for gamecube games. WiiU would get better third party support if it was x86. There would be no point in ignoring the WiiU install base no matter how small it is if the system took little or no effort to port to.
#30ultimatecouchpotatoPosted 7/8/2013 7:42:13 AM
Mavrick588 posted...

This. I don't need a weaker, less customizable PC.