Would people buy any game that has the "Mario" name slapped onto it?

#11The_Shadow_LinkPosted 7/8/2013 6:41:44 AM
Lets focus on the Mario Games after the Nintendo 64 shall we? You know, around the time Nintendo really started pushing all the Mario sports games of all kinds and didn't sign stupid CDi deals with Philips again?
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#12slymshadyPosted 7/8/2013 7:10:54 AM
Nope, I do not buy the gimmicky ones like tennis, golf, soccer, baseball, of kart.

I like Mario kart, but you've played one, you've played them all
#132wingedangelPosted 7/8/2013 7:15:52 AM
The_Shadow_Link posted...
Lets focus on the Mario Games after the Nintendo 64 shall we? You know, around the time Nintendo really started pushing all the Mario sports games of all kinds and didn't sign stupid CDi deals with Philips again?

If that's the case, I can only think of Mario Sports Mix and Mario Tennis Open.

I've never actually played Sports Mix, but MTO was horribly unbalanced. The main issue was how easy it was to make your Mii nearly unbeatable. Let's compare to Emerl. You know, the Gizoid from Sonic Battle? In order to have Emerl even be a competent fighter, you need to not only be incredibly lucky getting skill cards, but you need enough skill points to even use them. While Emerl can potentially become immensely overpowered, it's the difficulty of getting him to that point which makes it so satisfying. The Mii in MTO is anything but satisfying. Sure, you still have to get lucky unlocking clothes, but you never have to worry about repeats, and it's fairly easy to obtain them. Making a superpowered Mii is as easy as giving them 4 pieces of matching clothes. Not only is this so easy that someone with Down Syndrome can figure it out (my apologies if that happens to be the case for you), but it also discourage one of the main joys that comes from character customization, which is mixing things up. A Bowser racket with Yoshi shoes? Won't be nearly as good as a matching set.
---
3DS FC: 1048-8562-6194
#14LordBowserPosted 7/8/2013 10:04:48 AM
If it's genuinely high quality, yes.

If it's a subpar game (lots of the Mario sports/Mario Party games, etc), no.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#15LordBowserPosted 7/8/2013 10:07:39 AM
SyntaxBananaZ posted...
Don't forget Mario's Time Machine. I wouldn't say anyone would nowadays, but probably more during the SNES area.

I am one of the many who bought that game as a child (my fifth ever owned game, actually) expecting something completely different.

Still, in a sense, I think it was a great idea. It was attempting to help get children to learn history, learn to study and apply answers. The problem is, it wasn't very fun.

I think that Mario is Missing did a much better job of this. Actually, if my Super Nintendo was working, I'd probably buy that game off of Amazon. It's one of the few I'm missing that I liked quite a lot. It was also the first game to feature Luigi as the main character.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#16MercurysMessagePosted 7/8/2013 10:08:12 AM
Neo_Heartless posted...
No, because we don't buy the game because of Mario.

Unless you have some sort of fetish for overweight middle aged plumbers.

Which is more likely than you think on the internet.

How'd you know?
---
"There is not love of life without despair about life"
-Albert Camus
#17NyyarkPosted 7/8/2013 10:15:11 AM
Probably once, then when they get burned with something like Mario is Missing (or .30 cent Yoshi) they won't do it again.