Am I the only Wii U owner hoping this system really does fail?

#1ZeroRaiderPosted 7/8/2013 4:41:16 PM
Look, guys. I love Nintendo. Their games are fun. They're a refreshing break from the yearly CoD shooter bro-fests. They actually have color!

But I think we all know there's an elephant in the room when it comes to Nintendo: their consoles are holding them back. Nintendo's consoles have been flawed since the Nintendo 64. The cartridges with the N64, the lack of online play with the GameCube; but ultimately these were two excusable flaws at the time which didn't sink the systems and make them unpleasant to play. The systems were similar in power to their competitors and as such they held up well against them. Playing Nintendo's games didn't feel like entering a time machine to seven years ago.

...But they've really blown it these last two generations. Two severely underpowered systems in a row. Two systems which third parties have had a hell of a time watering down their games enough so they'd even run on the ancient hardware. Two systems which I would never play anything but an exclusive game on simply because they look like such ass compared to their competition. Two systems which every time I'm gaming on them I think "well, this game's fun but... holy hell are my eyes being distracted by these horrible graphics after coming from HD gaming."

I'm not alone in this. Constant sales failures of third party games indicate that no one's bought a Nintendo platform for anything other than Nintendo games since the '90s. (the N64 was the Rare/Nintendo system and everything else has just been the Nintendo system)

As I look at my Wii U I think to myself... "this thing really doesn't need to exist. It serves no purpose. I don't enjoy playing games on this platform. I only use this platform because I have to, because the games Nintendo games I play are exclusive to it. But I really wish I could play these Nintendo games on something less... weak... and gimmicky."

It was a $350 expense that was just completely unnecessary. I have not yet seen graphics on this system any better than Xbox 360 or PS3 delivered. I'm not looking forward to another seven years of low framerates, 720p gaming, no anti-aliasing, etc. all because Nintendo is too stubborn to concede that they are a better software company than a hardware company. I've been spoiled by 1080p gaming on PC for too long. And with 4K right around the corner, I think at the end of the Wii U's lifecycle we're all going to be as miserable as we all were with the Wii's ugly SD graphics in 2012 because we'll be getting accustomed to 4K. The sad thing is that I'm accustomed to even Wii games looking better than Wii U games now, because the Dolphin emulator allows you to natively render Wii games natively at 1080p with full anti-aliasing - Nintendo's Wii U games, thus far, have only been running at 720p, and the clarity of a Wii game being emulated is noticeably absent in Nintendo's Wii U games. That's insane!

...I think we're all thinking that maybe Nintendo would be better off if they were pushed out of the hardware business. Some of us may be hiding it deeper in our minds than others, but deep down we all know that Nintendo really shouldn't be a console maker anymore.

I've seen what Sega has been doing since going third party, and it is glorious. Most of their games are now released on PC. They aren't held back by underpowered consoles anymore. They have big packs of their games for sale on Steam for $20 with upgraded graphics, controls, etc. It's just such a better experience.

I find myself yearning for Nintendo games to follow the same route. I seriously think the day that Nintendo's awesome software is liberated from their terrible hardware will be a glorious day for every gamer... and finally I will be able to stop buying a piece of weak, proprietary equipment just for Nintendo's games every five to seven years.
#21shadetail1Posted 7/8/2013 4:42:52 PM
Too long, didn't read.

And yes, you are the only one hoping that. All any real gamer cares about is that the games are fun; everything else is irrelevant.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#3Fusion916Posted 7/8/2013 4:43:19 PM
Hoping?

It's already failed.
---
PSN: Fusion916
#4arvilinoPosted 7/8/2013 4:48:48 PM
ZeroRaider posted...

I've seen what Sega has been doing since going third party, and it is glorious. Most of their games are now released on PC. They aren't held back by underpowered consoles anymore. They have big packs of their games for sale on Steam for $20 with upgraded graphics, controls, etc. It's just such a better experience.

I find myself yearning for Nintendo games to follow the same route. I seriously think the day that Nintendo's awesome software is liberated from their terrible hardware will be a glorious day for every gamer... and finally I will be able to stop buying a piece of weak, proprietary equipment just for Nintendo's games every five to seven years.

No really that's the horrible thing about Sega, they've devalued a lot of their games to less than a smartphone value by stuffing them all in mega collections, they've stopped producing games like Shining Force and Shenmue.

The last thing I want to see is Nintendo following the same route.
#5amldPosted 7/8/2013 4:49:42 PM
as a lifelong nintendo fan, While I do not want them to fail, Their Hardware future does start looking pretty bleak.
#6spealfan444Posted 7/8/2013 4:50:21 PM
Fusion916 posted...
Hoping?

It's already failed.

In my opinion, a console fails if the creators didn't make a profit out of it. Nintendo's already made a profit with the U, so no, it didn't fail.
---
These boards are a creature of Chaos, they may take many incarnations.
AC: New Leaf Dream Address: 5900-2254-6770. Come visit my town!
#7ManInGorillaSutPosted 7/8/2013 4:51:29 PM
Fusion916 posted...
Hoping?

It's already failed.

---
Give me Banana!
PSN ID; EL_BOMBASTICO
#8ZeroRaider(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2013 4:52:30 PM
arvilino posted...
ZeroRaider posted...

No really that's the horrible thing about Sega, they've devalued a lot of their games to less than a smartphone value by stuffing them all in mega collections, they've stopped producing games like Shining Force and Shenmue.

That's because Sega's games usually aren't very good... they never were.

That is the key difference between Sega and Nintendo.

People would have never bought a Sega system just for Sega's mediocre games generation after generation and put up with them if they had pulled the same crap Nintendo's pulled all these gens. People put up with Nintendo's crap because their games are so good.
#9Prince ShondronaiPosted 7/8/2013 4:54:39 PM
It's Sony and Microsoft who need to fail. Their control of the industry has lead to a few important advances, but at the cost of too much of what makes gaming fun, in my opinion.

Developers are pushing everything from graphics to story to online features as hard as they possibly can, while making gameplay an afterthought. It's time for Nintendo to take the industry by the throat again and bend it forcibly back toward their vision for it, kicking and screaming all the way if necessary.
---
One of us. One of us. One of us.
#10BuretsuPosted 7/8/2013 4:55:31 PM
ZeroRaider posted...
arvilino posted...
ZeroRaider posted...

That's because Sega's games usually aren't very good... they never were.

That is the key difference between Sega and Nintendo.

People would have never bought a Sega system just for Sega's mediocre games generation after generation and put up with them if they had pulled the same crap Nintendo's pulled all these gens. People put up with Nintendo's crap because their games are so good.

Going third-party is death for Nintendo. It's that simple. If you really enjoy Nintendo games, you won't wish them to fail.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit