C/D: Unique and original, but optional, stories could easily improve Mario games

#1wiiking96Posted 7/8/2013 7:00:25 PM
I say C.

Some people say that Mario games aren't "about" stories or that that isn't their "intent", but why does that matter? Why can't a story be put on top of a completed Mario game to help spice up the experience for players who enjoy it? It doesn't have to be a deep, interesting, or even necessarily engaging story, but it being entertaining and funny would be enough.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#2BobGuy128Posted 7/8/2013 7:10:25 PM
I liked what they did with Rosalina's storybook in Galaxy. I hope they do something like that again.
---
The terms "casual" and "hardcore" are meaningless, please stop using them.
#3CaioNVPosted 7/8/2013 7:13:24 PM
wiiking96 posted...
It doesn't have to be a deep, interesting, or even necessarily engaging story, but it being entertaining and funny would be enough.

Mario & Luigi in shellnut.
Wonder how will they apply it to platformers... I think I don't have any platformer with a realy good storyline.
OH WAIT! Braid! Imagine if Nintendo can pull out a short but ****ing amazing storyline like that. Would be BRETTY CUL.
---
Let's Blocking: http://i.imgur.com/NONavuG.png
#4GloryChaosPosted 7/8/2013 7:18:33 PM
Super Mario World had a minor story. Sure, it came down to just saving Princess Peach (and the Yoshis) but it was still something. The NSMB games try their best to remove even that aspect of a minor story.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#5Tsutarja495Posted 7/8/2013 7:21:33 PM(edited)
As long as I can skip all the cutscenes I'm fine with it; I don't mind Fire Emblem having stories for that reason. Or it could be something optional like the Rosalina Storybook thing that I can just ignore. Finally, it could be like Kid Icarus Uprising where they talk during gameplay, so it doesn't have to waste my time stopping the gameplay for cutscenes. Otherwise, I want no story.
#61shadetail1Posted 7/8/2013 7:27:39 PM
Meh. It could work, I suppose, but the platformers have done extremely well without it. It's only really important for games that are actually story-based, like the RPGs.

I mean, what next? Stories for the Mario Kart games? "We need the background on where they got the motorcycles, dude!"
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#7GloryChaosPosted 7/8/2013 7:29:02 PM
A minor story doesn't detract from the experience. Almost all of the kirby games have had some sort of minor story and it does no harm. Crash Team Racing and Crash Nitro Kart had story modes too. There weren't really many cutscenes to interfere either.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#8wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2013 7:53:06 PM
One thing I'd like to see is some quirky characters making appearances in stages to give hints. They would appear in the background, and you could talk to them by pressing a button when you're near them.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#9jillwarrenPosted 7/8/2013 7:56:13 PM
1shadetail1 posted...
Meh. It could work, I suppose, but the platformers have done extremely well without it. It's only really important for games that are actually story-based, like the RPGs.

I mean, what next? Stories for the Mario Kart games? "We need the background on where they got the motorcycles, dude!"

Good stories can work in platformers though; like Psychonaughts. With Mario though the zanier the better.
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I give God all glory. Just so you know, I am a guy; my wife picked this username.
#10Tsutarja495Posted 7/8/2013 8:48:37 PM
Mario games sell just fine without them, it's not needed.