Who here seriously avoids online multiplayer?

#1GloryChaosPosted 7/9/2013 12:01:01 AM
And sticks mainly to local multiplayer instead? I'm asking so I could get a good understanding of what some people around here think. I have friends in real life who own either a ps3 or a 360 and still dislike online multiplayer. Hell, one guy wouldn't play any of the Touhou fighting games with me unless I went over to his house to play. So I can believe that people like this exist. And I can easily see why people wouldn't want to interact in games with people they don't know at all. Those same people are complaining about social features being pushed in all three consoles right now.

What I don't get are the people who say some really suspicious things. For example:

"If your real life friends move away, then that's too bad. Make some new friends and invite them over to your house."

Yeah, because people make friends for the sole purpose of playing video games and are completely willing to invite people they haven't known for very long into their homes.

I understand that not every game needs online. Games in the ps2 era such as Ratchet and Clank had both local and online multiplayer though, so I don't see why both can't be an option. Even for games that don't need it, is online multiplayer a bad thing? Is Luigi's Mansion 2/Dark Moon a worse game for having an online multiplayer mode?

Remember when Sniper Elite 2 came out on the WiiU? The miiverse forums were filled with furious people who were upset that the game lacked the online co op mode that the 360 and ps3 versions had. I consider Sniper Elite II to be primarily a single player game, so this didn't bother me too much. But when I came on gamefaqs, some of the same posters who defend Nintendo's decisions to not include an online mode in their games had this to say:

"Yet another half assed port on the WiiU. Maybe if third parties included all the content, their games would actually sell."

Huh?
Local multiplayer will always survive. The games that try to kill it off suffer for it. And the games that ignore online multiplayer in favor of just a local multiplayer mode suffer for it too.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#2GloryChaos(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 12:24:34 AM
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#3AndyliiniPosted 7/9/2013 12:28:44 AM
I rarely play multiplayer at all. I try rarely, but I never find it fun or addicting. Players are usually idle, or if there's voice chat, just annoying. Some games have huge lag, effectively killing all enjoyment. That's for online play.

As for local, it's more fun, but most of my games do not have local multiplayer at all, and if they do, few of my fiends want to play it with me. There's one friend I play Mario with, but that's mostly it.

Most of time, I play alone. And I enjoy it.
#4Baha05Posted 7/9/2013 12:29:31 AM
Nope, I never avoid online unless it's bad online. Like Fable III or Bioshock 2
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#5sonic777Posted 7/9/2013 12:31:22 AM
Local multiplayer does trump online, yes. Most reasonable people concede that.

It's when Nintendo says "It's so much better that we won't even give you the option to play online" that it becomes WTF? territory.

The game already has a multiplayer mode. Adding a server to allow people to play with their friends is really not a huge deal, is it?

Come on, Nintendo. We know you're stingy when it comes to products and all, but sometimes to keep customers happy, you take a loss.
---
<3 NINTENDO OMG
#6Baha05Posted 7/9/2013 12:32:10 AM
sonic777 posted...

It's when Nintendo says "It's so much better that we won't even give you the option to play online" that it becomes WTF? territory.

The game already has a multiplayer mode. Adding a server to allow people to play with their friends is really not a huge deal, is it?

Come on, Nintendo. We know you're stingy when it comes to products and all, but sometimes to keep customers happy, you take a loss.

Again game design and balance comes to mind.
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#7BadreviewPosted 7/9/2013 12:33:32 AM
Baha05 posted...
sonic777 posted...

Yet other dev's like Valve have done that near perfectly.

So please tell me, how is it so unbalanced Compared to Local Co-op and Online Co-op with Pikmin?
#8sonic777Posted 7/9/2013 12:34:47 AM
Baha05 posted...
sonic777 posted...

---
<3 NINTENDO OMG
#9Baha05Posted 7/9/2013 12:42:37 AM(edited)
You're ignoring Balance still. Just slapping an online server without balancing the online mode it pointless and stupid. You don't just tack online like that, you refine it first. Local works due to restrictions local games provide. Online would have to have restrictions as well or else what's to stop say Me from speed running the level?

Badreview posted...
Yet other dev's like Valve have done that near perfectly.

So please tell me, how is it so unbalanced Compared to Local Co-op and Online Co-op with Pikmin?

And again restrictions and team based games, that's how Vavle co-ops are. And I already said something like Pimin would work far better due to it's design, something like Mario you would have to refine it more by adding restrictions or changing how online co-op works entirely.
---
#10XWolfOPosted 7/9/2013 12:43:22 AM(edited)
I don't exactly avoid online, but I much prefer local MP. I have much more fun when I'm playing with my friends locally. It's just a thing that I really enjoy.

When I play online I pretty much treat everyone as the AI. No talking, rarely even sending text messages, if there's an option for that, and pretty much just doing my own thing as if I was playing single player.

Local MP's a whole different thing. There's talking, there's laughing, there's just generally a ton of fun going on, and it feels amazing every time. Well, unless I'm having a bad day, but in those cases, I don't even play anything anyway.

And this is why I don't even mind when Nintendo does their thing and doesn't include online.
---
Don't hesitate. When the time comes, just act.