Most developers have been shoddy, that's why any kind of "risk" for them is...

#1darkqueenhelbaPosted 7/9/2013 8:15:37 AM
hazardous. There are many that need to completely restructure how they go about developing games. So when consumers need legitimate "new" games it's difficult to produce. This is especially true for new systems and the hardware providers wind up doing to much back-pedaling because there isn't enough support at the start.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#2DarkAdonis123Posted 7/9/2013 8:23:51 AM
The industry as a whole is extremely unstable today. Making quality software doesn't guarantee strong sales. And making a new and unique experience doesn't either. Catherine is a good example of this. A very polished game that was both fun and unique, yet it sold 400k across 2 systems.

People cry for something new, but then when something new comes along, they ignore it and buy more sequels instead.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#3darkqueenhelba(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 8:27:34 AM
DarkAdonis123 posted...
The industry as a whole is extremely unstable today. Making quality software doesn't guarantee strong sales. And making a new and unique experience doesn't either. Catherine is a good example of this. A very polished game that was both fun and unique, yet it sold 400k across 2 systems.

People cry for something new, but then when something new comes along, they ignore it and buy more sequels instead.

Right. My point is I think they need to properly scale projects. Being in production for long periods of time and having enormous budgets I think hurts more than does any good. I'm not saying make all games like Wii Sports, but I feel if more games and developers took that route the industry would be in better shape overall.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#4SigmaHacielPosted 7/9/2013 8:38:13 AM
Has little to do with the DEVELOPER and MORE to do with the PUBLISHER.

The day gamers realize the distinction is the day the world explodes from revelation.
---
Don't like my opinion? Gosick. There is a reason it is MY opinion and not yours.
#5Crazy_tank51Posted 7/9/2013 8:43:43 AM
Yep, people beg for new, but when they get it, they don't take it. And there is also the matter of AAA games and cheap iOS cash-suckers being the only games developers want to make today. The problem? You can't profit on either of them because AAA games cost so much to make you have to sell 10 million (Look at Tomb Raider) and on iOS you're lucky if people notice your game and you are blessed by God if they eat up all the microtransactions on it and don't care about the likely bad controls.

This industry is going to hell in a hand basket.
---
Sega is what EAin't.
3DS: 3909-7785-1874 (Crazytank*) Steam ID: CrazytankXD
#6nonexistingheroPosted 7/9/2013 8:44:35 AM
SigmaHaciel posted...
Has little to do with the DEVELOPER and MORE to do with the PUBLISHER.

The day gamers realize the distinction is the day the world explodes from revelation.

No, it has a lot to do with the developers as well. I've been saying for years that dev teams should be smaller so that they can work more efficiently with a smaller budget per game. At the same time, they can work on more games at once. And these days, indie developers have already proven that you can make great games even with a few people... not just do they play great, but even visually they still hold their own pretty often (it wasn't like that back when I started saying it).

Basically, instead of spending $100 million on a single game + $100 million on marketing to crank out a single unpolished game that needs a crapload of useless DLC to even make a profit, or... they can spend $20 million per game for 5 games with smaller, more focused, more efficient development teams to create 5 polished games.

The push for superexpensive cinematic games isn't doing the industry any good. The fact that so many fail to make a profit merely proves that they're making more than consumers demand.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#7catgrizinsiderPosted 7/9/2013 8:47:21 AM
Oh you'd be surprised with developers, there's more than one way to rope soap and they always seem to find the one you weren't thinking of.
#8KaoticEnigmaPosted 7/9/2013 8:50:03 AM
And this is where indies come in.

The thing is that you need massive teams and massive money for modern AAA games, and those sell consoles.

The smaller games don't sell many copies, and with how much a publisher takes, there wouldn't be anything left for the studio, and it'll close. Happens all the time with mid-size studios for all publishers and platforms.

But indie devs can make smaller games with smaller teams. And we have tools to self publish now too. This is why you're seeing a resurgence in smaller indie and arcade style games. They're much faster to make, much less expensive, and one dude can pull it off on his own (although I don't recommend that).

Indies can take risks, major studios can't/won't.
#9DarkAdonis123Posted 7/9/2013 8:53:05 AM
One of the largest problems is graphics are prioritized over gameplay. Making the games pretty is where the bulk of the time and money goes. Just make the darn thing fun. People will buy it. Minecraft is NOT a runaway success because it has amazing graphics.

Which is why the same ugly engine has been used for COD for a decade now. It may be ugly as sin but it's readily available and gets the job done.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#10Kiro_namiPosted 7/9/2013 8:57:07 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]