I think third parties are in for a rude awakening next gen

#1OzzieArcanePosted 7/9/2013 3:12:40 PM
I plan on getting a PS4 but watching these companies get mad about sales on the Wii U and put all their cards into the PS4/X-Box One is hilarious. The reason the Wii U sales aren't working out for them is because they're comparing them to sales on the PS3/X-Box 360. Of course games aren't going to sell as well on a platform that is still growing, which is exactly what's going to happen with the PS4 and X-Box One.

These companies are so addicted to their insane budgets and in turn ridiculous sales expectations that they've completely forgotten what a new console is like. They're gonna spazz out over the same thing when the other systems come out and then what are they going to do? Retreat back to the PS3/X-Box 360? The systems who's graphics they claim can no longer give gamers what they want?

You gotta keep in mind these same companies lately have considered games failures that sold millions of copies. Dead Space 3 didn't sell 5 million copies, so it's a failure and the series is dead. The PS4 and X-Box One launches are going to be fun to watch.
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com
#2muffinmasherPosted 7/9/2013 3:19:44 PM
I agree with some of this.

I think 3rd parties need to stop saying games are failures because they didn't sell 5 Million + copies.

If you can't turn a profit off of 3 million sales or less, you're spending too much money in development.
---
3DS FC: 0173-1320-7190
"Barkley: Shut up and jam! Gaiden" Is the best RPG of all time.
#3MilesTeg420Posted 7/9/2013 3:22:51 PM
muffinmasher posted...

I think 3rd parties need to stop saying games are failures because they didn't sell 5 Million + copies.

If you can't turn a profit off of 3 million sales or less, you're spending too much money in development.

Or too much on marketing. Some games spend significantly more on marketing for a game than game development itself.
#4jrb363Posted 7/9/2013 3:24:45 PM
muffinmasher posted...

Can we please have an airplane fly over the HQ of EVERY game developer in the world that says this? PLEASE??? I still can't believe that Square Enix deemed Tomb Raider, one of my favorite games this generation, as a failure when it sold 3.4 MILLION copies. It just blows my mind.
---
I fundamentally believe that the initial market that we need to make sure we appeal to with any new platform... is really the gaming audience. - Kaz Hirai
#5OzzieArcane(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 3:26:30 PM
jrb363 posted...
muffinmasher posted...

Can we please have an airplane fly over the HQ of EVERY game developer in the world that says this? PLEASE??? I still can't believe that Square Enix deemed Tomb Raider, one of my favorite games this generation, as a failure when it sold 3.4 MILLION copies. It just blows my mind.

It is hilariously bad when Tomb Raider and Resident Evil 6 have made record sales for their respective franchises and are deemed failures by their respective companies.
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com
#6dcamp27Posted 7/9/2013 3:27:55 PM
Thank you topic creator. I agree with everything you said.
#7Shinobi120Posted 7/9/2013 3:28:02 PM
I agree with you, but they will ignore Nintendo once again because of their ignorance.
#8DynheartPosted 7/9/2013 3:28:19 PM
OzzieArcane posted...
I plan on getting a PS4 but watching these companies get mad about sales on the Wii U and put all their cards into the PS4/X-Box One is hilarious. The reason the Wii U sales aren't working out for them is because they're comparing them to sales on the PS3/X-Box 360. Of course games aren't going to sell as well on a platform that is still growing, which is exactly what's going to happen with the PS4 and X-Box One.

These companies are so addicted to their insane budgets and in turn ridiculous sales expectations that they've completely forgotten what a new console is like. They're gonna spazz out over the same thing when the other systems come out and then what are they going to do? Retreat back to the PS3/X-Box 360? The systems who's graphics they claim can no longer give gamers what they want?

You gotta keep in mind these same companies lately have considered games failures that sold millions of copies. Dead Space 3 didn't sell 5 million copies, so it's a failure and the series is dead. The PS4 and X-Box One launches are going to be fun to watch.

I agree.

I think they are banking on both having 10 million+ out of the gate. That's a gamble.
---
Currently playing: Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii), Kingdom's of Amalur
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ash_wwRQFno
#9darkqueenhelbaPosted 7/9/2013 3:29:23 PM
jrb363 posted...
muffinmasher posted...

Is that really true? Wow...that's pathetic. If you can't make a profit even off 1 million that says a lot about your structure as a company. SE and others really need to rethink how they make games if they can't do any better than that. No wonder SE has been going down the toilet all these years.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#10SigmaHacielPosted 7/9/2013 3:30:21 PM
Shinobi120 posted...
I agree with you, but they will ignore Nintendo once again because of their ignorance.

When companies blow $100m in advertising and thus need like 50 million sales to make up the collective costs, we failed. On EVERY front. Every console. Everything.
---
Don't like my opinion? Gosick. There is a reason it is MY opinion and not yours.