I think third parties are in for a rude awakening next gen

#11BloodychessPosted 7/9/2013 3:30:58 PM
darkqueenhelba posted...
jrb363 posted...
muffinmasher posted...
I agree with some of this.

I think 3rd parties need to stop saying games are failures because they didn't sell 5 Million + copies.

If you can't turn a profit off of 3 million sales or less, you're spending too much money in development.

Can we please have an airplane fly over the HQ of EVERY game developer in the world that says this? PLEASE??? I still can't believe that Square Enix deemed Tomb Raider, one of my favorite games this generation, as a failure when it sold 3.4 MILLION copies. It just blows my mind.

Is that really true? Wow...that's pathetic. If you can't make a profit even off 1 million that says a lot about your structure as a company. SE and others really need to rethink how they make games if they can't do any better than that. No wonder SE has been going down the toilet all these years.

Go easy on SE, making HD movie games is expensive
---
Not changing this sig until a spider crawls into my mouth while I'm sleeping
#12trainer2689Posted 7/9/2013 3:33:25 PM
darkqueenhelba posted...
jrb363 posted...
muffinmasher posted...

I think 3rd parties need to stop saying games are failures because they didn't sell 5 Million + copies.

If you can't turn a profit off of 3 million sales or less, you're spending too much money in development.

Can we please have an airplane fly over the HQ of EVERY game developer in the world that says this? PLEASE??? I still can't believe that Square Enix deemed Tomb Raider, one of my favorite games this generation, as a failure when it sold 3.4 MILLION copies. It just blows my mind.

Is that really true? Wow...that's pathetic. If you can't make a profit even off 1 million that says a lot about your structure as a company. SE and others really need to rethink how they make games if they can't do any better than that. No wonder SE has been going down the toilet all these years.

It's not just SE though. Many developers/publishers these days spend a ridiculous amount of money to develop one game. This is why we see so many sequels and rehashes; it's less of a risk. I would like to see more developers make a mixture of less-expensive games that live around the $20-$30 price range, and release the big $60 games less frequently.
#13darkqueenhelbaPosted 7/9/2013 3:34:02 PM
Bloodychess posted...
darkqueenhelba posted...
jrb363 posted...
muffinmasher posted...

Go easy on SE, making HD movie games is expensive

I don't doubt that, but maybe that's not the way to go? There's obviously cheaper and more rewarding methods out there. Perhaps the should utilize other talents?
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#14BackAlleyNekoPosted 7/9/2013 3:35:39 PM
I can actually agree to this. The budgets and sales expectations are out of control when you manage to sell over a million copies and that's considered a failure. Jim Sterling did an article that touches on this very problem:

http://www.destructoid.com/used-games-and-aaa-games-are-incompatible-good--256227.phtml
#15jrb363Posted 7/9/2013 3:44:24 PM
BackAlleyNeko posted...
I can actually agree to this. The budgets and sales expectations are out of control when you manage to sell over a million copies and that's considered a failure. Jim Sterling did an article that touches on this very problem:

http://www.destructoid.com/used-games-and-aaa-games-are-incompatible-good--256227.phtml

I remember reading that article. It was quoted by someone around here a while back. Anyway, he did have some excellent points. I think the gaming market on the whole is due for a massive correction. The only questions are 'when' and how 'violent' the correction will be. I would put money on Nintendo being the last ones standing though. They haven't gone budget crazy and are sticking to their roots the most. If for some reason the PS4/Xbone fail I think the Wii U is in an excellent position to keep chugging along with a few million sold each year.
---
I fundamentally believe that the initial market that we need to make sure we appeal to with any new platform... is really the gaming audience. - Kaz Hirai