Wii U successor in 2015 would make perfect sense

#1ExtremelyFatGuyPosted 7/10/2013 6:08:17 PM
Think about it. Nintendo has some absymal sales with a new console, the other guys are knocking down the door coming out all guns blazing, they are losing exclusives left and right -- why not just stop the bleeding rather than fight to the death? Nintendo isn't stupid. They understand that this thing isn't salvageable and that the public percieves them as being behind the times. In a way this is a blessing in disguise for Nintendo. The public clearly points out to them what they find lacking in the Wii U, and Nintendo can solve the problems before they get out of hand. In any event, what does Nintendo have past 2015 anyways? Nothing, that we know of. Sony and Microsoft will be hitting their stride at that point, and Nintendo will have already released Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Zelda(rumored for mid-2015)...and that's pretty much it. No room to try something new in that environment, and third parties have already abanoned this console. Zelda rumored for mid-2015 really sent off alarms for me. Nintendo will release the big one mid-year and then launch the new console late 2015. Nintendo can then simply say Wii U was an extension of the "Wii" branding and that their REAL next-gen system(to compete with Sony and Microsoft) is coming in 2015. They will have figured out HD and online by then, and probably saved their good ideas(knowing they can't rely on the same old same old) while doing mostly the tried and true on Wii U. Wow, this opens up a whole new set of possibilities! Could it be Nintendo is just playing dumb with the Wii U?
#2ADHDguitarPosted 7/10/2013 6:08:41 PM
Dude. Slow down.

2016 would be more than reasonable. No need to rush.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#3Wiiplayer111Posted 7/10/2013 6:10:16 PM
Earliest is the end of 2016. Nintendo runs on 5-7 year cycles.
---
Look at you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com
#4GloryChaosPosted 7/10/2013 6:10:41 PM
I already picked up my WiiU successor in 2010. The console flopped so bad, Nintendo had to release a real next gen system before it launched!
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#5Glem3Posted 7/10/2013 6:12:28 PM(edited)
This is a really bad idea. The Wii U hasn't even been out for a year yet. If they released a new console in 2015 (which would mean they'd have to come up with new hardware, design it, advertise it, stop developing Wii U games... I don't even want to get started on that) and then they'd be struggling with hiring enough people to take advantage of the graphics, dealing with customer distrust after discontinuing the Wii U so fast, and then need to release another console in another 3 years or so just to keep up with PS5 and Xbox361 or whatever.
#6Kromlech06Posted 7/10/2013 6:15:20 PM
This is totally why we're using a vita-comparable DS-2 right now!
---
3DS FC: 2277-6801-3957
#7Nostalgia_3Posted 7/10/2013 6:15:34 PM
The Wii U isn't selling because it doesn't have games out, so your solution is to rush out a successor who they're not working on ANY games for?

Yeah, that'll work.
#8ExtremelyFatGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2013 7:08:39 PM
Nostalgia_3 posted...
The Wii U isn't selling because it doesn't have games out, so your solution is to rush out a successor who they're not working on ANY games for?

Yeah, that'll work.

That's what happened with the Sega Saturn. It was rushed out, the competition trounced it, then Sega simply decided to move on to the next thing. Sega knew they couldn't compete with and fixed quite a few of their problem with the Dreamcast. It WOULD have worked if not for a variety of factors, none of which Nintendo has to worry about. Seriously, this could be huge for Nintendo if they do this. It all makes sense now--the clunky and rushed system, bad multiplayer, sparse lineup of games, virtually nonexistent advertising. It is very unusual for Nintendo to be this incompetent and it points to the fact that something else is on their mind.
#9MilesTeg420Posted 7/10/2013 7:13:39 PM
TC is right. It's now clear to me Nintendo chose not to show new Zelda because they are moving it to their new unannounced console (Samsung Partnership) for 2015.
#10nb003_99Posted 7/10/2013 7:16:02 PM
That would be perfect!
The other boxes would only have millions of console sales, with established fan bases.
We can pump out Mario in a new box!
If it ain't Nintendo, then shut up.
Good

That's my mario
---
1080p/60fps, with PC textures....