Wii U successor in 2015 would make perfect sense

#21ExtremelyFatGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2013 8:23:02 PM
Nostalgia_3 posted...
diggyfresh posted...
Wiiplayer111 posted...
Earliest is the end of 2016. Nintendo runs on 5-7 year cycles.

They could be speeding up. As long as they can maintain BC and offer eShop titles from past systems they can release a new system in only a few years and make everyone happy.

Only people who complain about the Wii U being "underpowered" would be happy - and even then, they tend to be trolls and would simply find something else to complain about.

People who actually own Wii U's would be rather pissed off. Part of the benefit of consoles is that you don't have to upgrade - you can count on that model being supported for several years to come (unless you come in at the end of a console generation or something).

If Nintendo suddenly said "Oh, you know that thing you invested $400 in? Yeah, it'll be useless in three years.", people would be annoyed.

People invest in consoles because they expect them to be supported for a long time. If a new console came out every couple years, you'd simply end up spending way more money than if you simply got a good gaming PC.

That's because there are few people to get annoyed to begin with because hardly anyone owns this thing to begin with. It's just like the Sega Saturn--they had to move on and some people got mad but that's just the way it goes.

BTW, "gaming PCs" are for "jock gamers". A lot of people don't like the mostly dark games that you see on PC. I never liked PC and I've been into gaming since the NES.
---
Prediction: The next Nintendo console comes out in 2015
#22MilesTeg420Posted 7/10/2013 9:34:40 PM
In all honesty, I think Iwata is willing to pull the plug and release by 2016 if sales don't pick up significantly this year. They are potentially looking at the worst LTD for a home console in their history (VB doesn't count). If they can't sell enough software, they can't make money, and it's clear HD development is costing them more than they thought. Pull the plug, move everything over to a new console, have the Gamepad be compatible with new console, some new gimmick (3D on the Gamepad, holograms, head tracker, etc), boom, done.

It's either that, or stick with Wii U for a longer than normal time to recoup money, maybe 7-8 years.

Or the highly risky option of going for virtual reality. Of course Nintendo probably isn't likely to go down this road as their franchises mostly all revolve around local multiplayer, which isn't feasible with VR really. Unless they start talking about the third pillar or something.
#23HeracylostPosted 7/10/2013 9:56:56 PM
This topic is so illogical. The U hasn't been out for a year. People are just waiting for something on it they want. Zelda, Cart, Kong, Kirby, Metroid whatever.
Systems by Nintendo really don't sell, Nintendo games sell systems. Mario U isn't enough simply because it's Mario Wii with new levels. It's good but not that good.
Zelda, Metroid and the rest. Will sell systems.
They rushed the release now have to catch up.
#24ExtremelyFatGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2013 9:57:52 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
In all honesty, I think Iwata is willing to pull the plug and release by 2016 if sales don't pick up significantly this year. They are potentially looking at the worst LTD for a home console in their history (VB doesn't count). If they can't sell enough software, they can't make money, and it's clear HD development is costing them more than they thought. Pull the plug, move everything over to a new console, have the Gamepad be compatible with new console, some new gimmick (3D on the Gamepad, holograms, head tracker, etc), boom, done.

It's either that, or stick with Wii U for a longer than normal time to recoup money, maybe 7-8 years.

Or the highly risky option of going for virtual reality. Of course Nintendo probably isn't likely to go down this road as their franchises mostly all revolve around local multiplayer, which isn't feasible with VR really. Unless they start talking about the third pillar or something.

The third pillar doesn't apply here because the Wii U doesn't seem to appeal to casuals or hardcores.

I still think re-releasing the next system earlier than expected is the right call unless things pick up significantly like they did for the 3DS. Problem is, the 3DS has no competition unless you count tablets and smartphones. Nintendo has some gigantic competition coming up this year. Nintendo has an opening in 2015-2016 when Microsoft has already blown through its early exclusives (Microsoft systems seem to start out strong) and Sony hasn't hit its stride yet (which seems to happen 4-6 years in).
---
#25ExtremelyFatGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2013 9:59:27 PM
One more thing. 2016 makes sense since development of a successor started in 2012, but the development of Wii U didn't start until 2008. So it would be 4 years for both.
---
#26unknown2226Posted 7/10/2013 10:00:59 PM
ExtremelyFatGuy posted...
They will have figured out HD and online by then

lol Only Nintendo would take over 10 years to figure a central part of the industry out. That's why I gave up on them after the Gamecube era.
---
GTX 580 SLI - i5 2500k @ 4.6 - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 256GB - HX1050 - ASRock Z3X3 - NZXT Switch 810 - BenQ XL2420TX
http://i.imgur.com/EjVaT6l.jpg
#27MilesTeg420Posted 7/10/2013 10:06:24 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...

The third pillar doesn't apply here because the Wii U doesn't seem to appeal to casuals or hardcores.

I still think re-releasing the next system earlier than expected is the right call unless things pick up significantly like they did for the 3DS. Problem is, the 3DS has no competition unless you count tablets and smartphones. Nintendo has some gigantic competition coming up this year. Nintendo has an opening in 2015-2016 when Microsoft has already blown through its early exclusives (Microsoft systems seem to start out strong) and Sony hasn't hit its stride yet (which seems to happen 4-6 years in).

Well, the DS was released 4 years after GBA. I'm sure Iwata remembers this and how successful the move ended up being. It also worked for Microsoft with Xbox - Xbox 360. Microsoft flat out killed OG Xbox intentionally and it worked.
#28AhnoldDoodPosted 7/10/2013 10:12:45 PM
unknown2226 posted...
They will have figured out HD and online by then

lol Only Nintendo would take over 10 years to figure a central part of the industry out. That's why I gave up on them after the Gamecube era.

"10 years"? HD's been around for 10 years? News to me.
#29overkillwfo1978Posted 7/10/2013 11:27:09 PM(edited)
At the rate things are going the first batch of Nintendo AAA Wii U titles would be released at the same time the new console comes out under TCs suggestion.
---
"Even if you go by the cheapest price the game has ever been anywhere, psn+ would still be cheaper by at least 3 fold". DemonDog on psn+ vs. Steam
#30crikey102Posted 7/10/2013 11:52:36 PM
I imagine that Nintendo will make a new console after cpu requirements rise to 4 cpu average and ram rises to over around 3 gigs average. So i'd say 2016 at the earliest, making a console slightly more powerful then the ps4 that's backwards compatible with the wii u.