Nintendo brought in the original Nintendo seal of approval

#1madness82Posted 7/12/2013 8:47:10 PM
before that on other platforms there was no force to stop nerdlords putting out abysmal games that didn't work. When I got a SNES I just thought it was a nice gold symbol to say Nintendo is cool.
#2RHFPosted 7/12/2013 8:48:41 PM
Even with it it still got abysmal games that didn't work right. Ljn being the most notorious of the group.
---
For great justice! And Fruit Pies! *Official #1 supporter for Hsien-ko*
#3madness82(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 8:49:24 PM
RHF posted...
Even with it it still got abysmal games that didn't work right. Ljn being the most notorious of the group.

damn.
#4VanderZooPosted 7/13/2013 2:21:34 AM
The Nintendo seal of approval was never about quality, all it really meant was that the developer had paid Nintendo for the rights to release their games on their system.

I don't Nintendo actually did any kind of quality control on3rd party games.
---
Man of Steel - 26.06.13
"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards"
#5The_Shadow_LinkPosted 7/13/2013 2:35:23 AM
The same seal that let Ninjebread Men and Superman 64 get through, right?
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#619061980Posted 7/13/2013 3:33:32 AM
"Nintendo brought in the original Nintendo seal of approval"

Really? I thought Sega brought in the Nintendo Seal of Approval.
#7DeathSoul2000Posted 7/13/2013 3:59:59 AM
still wonder why japan has no nintendo seal.
#8Thunderbird8Posted 7/13/2013 4:57:45 AM
In the days of the Atari 2600, there wasn't enough security on the system to stop third parties from being able to make games for it (from what I've read, Atari wanted to be the only company releasing games for their system), and there were quite a few companies putting out utter garbage that they called "games" (and Atari themselves were not immune to this, *coughETcough*). This led to the video game crash of 1983.

The Official Nintendo Seal of Quality was one of the things used by Nintendo to try and make consumers be willing to buy games again. I don't know if Nintendo did quality control themselves, but they did limit third parties to 5 games a year, which probably had an effect on the quality level of games (though some publishers got around this limit by simply making other entities, such as Ultra Games for Konami and whatnot). Japan didn't need it as they didn't have the same issue as had happened in the US, and the Japanese Famicom did not have the lockout chip that the original toaster NES had (that the toploader NES got rid of).

The seal was all about marketing. And it made unlicensed games easy to spot, since they couldn't use it (that whole trademark violation thingy).

And to think that Atari almost got the rights to market the NES in the US...