Ubisoft is Lying About ZombiU's Performance

#61darkjedilinkPosted 7/13/2013 2:41:41 PM
Tromeritus posted...
Eh...it wouldn't surprise me if--assuming the Ubisoft exec's ZombiU comments were legitimate in the first place--that he actually meant:

"Nowhere near profitable enough ...considering the effort cutting business deals we had to put into promoting and licensing this damn thing"

I could buy this, too.

I personally can't say I outright agree with the OP's article, since it's based on a lot of inference and no actual fact, but I can't just dismiss it out of hand, either - it is plausible.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#62cmincPosted 7/13/2013 3:35:28 PM
Using the articles own logic, the argument doesn't make any sense because it's presupposing that the game was developed in an exclusive Wii U vacuum where prior investments to the IP don't need to be made back to count as profit.

The game started life as a 360 game called 'killer freaks,' that already had a very large number of assets and man hours put into it that added up to mean nothing for the zombie-centric game we eventually got, and I doubt very seriously any of that was done on a voluntary basis. From there, what could be salvaged from the initial development was incorporated into a brand new narrative that required very specific controller references and implementations that all had to be conceptualized, researched, designed and then finally put together a couple different times for polish.

By the time you start considering voiceovers, regional BS, bugs, glitches, level-pacing, difficulty spikes, the controller connectivity issues that we all heard about and advertising and then account for the fact that WiiU's final specs weren't solid or finalized through most of the development, I can totally see how ZombiU wasn't close to profitable, personally.

500k seems like a lot but when you stop to think that most of those 'sales' came after the game was severely discounted or put into a bundle, and then consider nintendo's cut, retailer markup, killer freaks' prior investment, actual development on new, unfinalized hardware and all the little knickknack crap that pops up along the way, it really looks like they'd of only broken even IF they got lucky AND the wiiU caught on like it was supposed to.

It's still a shame that reviews sabotaged a relatively cool game, though. It's even sadder that Ubisoft's ideas for the contoller have truly blown away nintendo's up to this point, too.
---
---
#63YomerodesPosted 7/13/2013 3:59:22 PM
Indeed, the author is using some pretty insane troll logic with the whole porting issue...so, porting some games are relatively cheap, and because Killer Freaks started development in the other HD consoles, according to this author just because of that the game also magically became a game as cheap to produce on Wii U as Just Dance 4, Marvel Avengers or Your Shape Fitness evolved...nevermind the need to recoup the investment of THAT development on the other HD consoles, the whole change in subject mid-development.
#64tizzywilkillyouPosted 7/13/2013 7:23:16 PM
Nyyark posted...
This:
TAoR posted...
I stopped reading when he cited vgchartz

lol vgchartz

Unfortunately, this.
#65P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 7/13/2013 7:48:05 PM
Yomerodes posted...
Indeed, the author is using some pretty insane troll logic with the whole porting issue...so, porting some games are relatively cheap, and because Killer Freaks started development in the other HD consoles, according to this author just because of that the game also magically became a game as cheap to produce on Wii U as Just Dance 4, Marvel Avengers or Your Shape Fitness evolved...nevermind the need to recoup the investment of THAT development on the other HD consoles, the whole change in subject mid-development.

I haven't read it, but Ubisoft themselves said development was surprisingly cheap and they themselves said they were satisfied with ZombiU performance. So, there's either lying there, or they are lying here possibly to protect their decision regarding Rayman.
---
NNID: Ko-san
"SUUUPERRR!"