The gamepad seems like it was a terrible decision right now

#1BenzychenzPosted 7/13/2013 4:22:46 AM
I was thinking of how a price cut is inevitable these holidays. A $350 Wii U against a $400 PS4 is suicide. But I know how hesitant Nintendo is to do it seeing as I believe they've said the Wii U is selling at a (slight) loss already(?).

It amazes me that with the massive hardware difference the two systems can be priced so similar. And it's that damn gamepad. It's pretty much adding $100 to the price of the console.

The problem is that almost no one would value what the gamepad brings as being worth $100.
A $250 system with a basic controller, or a more powerful $350 system (getting games like Destiny and Battlefield 4) would be doing so much better than the Wii U is currently.
---
[This signature was deleted at the request of the La Li Lu Le Lo]
#2FayeLadyPosted 7/13/2013 4:26:43 AM
I think its a bad idea for the sake of condemning the Wii U to exclusives at a time when third parties are trying to avoid them.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#3DeathSoul2000Posted 7/13/2013 4:33:18 AM
i still wish nintendo could actually think of some uses for their own damn controller.
#4AstralFrostPosted 7/13/2013 4:33:54 AM
The problem is that the Wii U doesn't do anything unique without the gamepad. It would have been like taking motion controls away from the Wii. All you're left with is a weak console that doesn't do anything very compelling.
---
Man at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Iwata committed sudoku on himself
#5EoinPosted 7/13/2013 4:45:10 AM
Benzychenz posted...
It amazes me that with the massive hardware difference the two systems can be priced so similar. And it's that damn gamepad.

It's also a matter of Nintendo saving money by using components towards the bottom end of the scale. As a quick example, RAM - they've gone for 2GB of RAM, and that probably costs them something like 80% of the cost of going for 4GB of RAM.

The GamePad is a major part of this though, yes.

Benzychenz posted...
It's pretty much adding $100 to the price of the console.

It's more than that. Miyamoto said:

http://techland.time.com/2013/06/18/shigeru-miyamoto-apologizes-for-wii-u-game-delays-says-the-best-is-nearly-here/#ixzz2YvP3UZyh
if any of the other hardware systems were to try and include a tablet or device similar to the Wii U GamePad, those hardware systems would go up in price by easily a hundred dollars or more.

So the cost of a GamePad is, by Miyamoto's estimate, "easily" US$100 + the cost of a PS4 controller (which has got to be at least US$20, probably more).

Benzychenz posted...
A $250 system with a basic controller, or a more powerful $350 system (getting games like Destiny and Battlefield 4) would be doing so much better than the Wii U is currently.

The Wii U not getting Destiny and Battlefield 4 isn't solely caused by its power, though. The PS3 and 360 are getting both of those games - the Wii U could as well. The reason that it's not is some combination of power, sales, developer effort, and generation cycle timing - a more powerful Wii U might not have gotten Battlefield 4, whereas a similarly specced Wii U that was selling much better probably would have.
#6Benzychenz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 4:52:32 AM
AstralFrost posted...
The problem is that the Wii U doesn't do anything unique without the gamepad. It would have been like taking motion controls away from the Wii. All you're left with is a weak console that doesn't do anything very compelling.

Nintendo doesn't even seem to have any ideas for the gamepad though.

For Mario you can... touch the area to find hidden coins/boxes?
And for DK I don't even know what they show on the screen it's that unimportant.
For Pikmin it's what, a map?
For Wonderful 101 you draw weapons, but it's not even needed seeing you can play with the Pro controller.
For Mario Kart it has a MASSIVE HORN BUTTON for gods sake.

Literally the only first party games that use it for anything decent are party games/minigame collections. Nintendo Land, Game and Wario, Wii Party.
---
[This signature was deleted at the request of the La Li Lu Le Lo]
#7soarcadiaPosted 7/13/2013 4:53:28 AM
It's a fantastic idea for off tvplay
---
Skies of arcadia>>>>>>>>>>> final fantasy 7
#8EoinPosted 7/13/2013 4:53:45 AM
AstralFrost posted...

Yes, if you only take away the GamePad, then the Wii U becomes less interesting.

However, that's not what would happen. Without the GamePad, there'd be two realistic options, and neither of them sound particularly bad:

1. Drop US$100 or so from the price. Now it's a US$200 console (for the basic option), directly competitive with the PS3 and Xbox 360, with Nintendo games in HD and no confusing controller. This probably isn't a winning option, but it would be an extremely compelling second console.

2. Budget US$100 on additional hardware. Increase the RAM, make the CPU and GPU more capable, swap the flash memory for a 250GB hard drive, drop the basic SKU, and hit retail at US$350 or so with a machine that clearly, unambiguously outpowers the PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2012. It would still be less powerful than the PS4 when that eventually appeared, but the advantage of a year would be a big mitigating factor, and the console would still run "good enough" versions of the third-party games that will hit PS4 and Xbox One.
#9DeathSoul2000Posted 7/13/2013 4:56:51 AM
soarcadia posted...
It's a fantastic idea for off tvplay

i want more than that. i want LCU style ideas, and nintendo's got none.
#10Wiiplayer111Posted 7/13/2013 4:58:13 AM
Benzychenz posted...
I was thinking of how a price cut is inevitable these holidays. A $350 Wii U against a $400 PS4 is suicide.

The basic Wii U is $300 while the basic PS4 is $400. $100 difference.

Deluxe Wii U is $350 while PS4 bundles are about $500. (Over) $100 difference.
---
Look at you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com