The gamepad seems like it was a terrible decision right now

#71FayeLadyPosted 7/13/2013 1:27:45 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
Jackal posted...
Oh! The GP was a bad idea. It forces devs to come up with extra crap to do with it. Something that even Nintendo admitted that they had a problem doing! It makes dev have to reworks multiplats to make use of it if the games were being developed simultaneously.

Will it be reused and refined for their next system? Or replaced with something else?

How will BC work on the next system if it doesn't have a GP?

Are you going to be able to use this version of the GP with the new system for BC?

It's an expensive controller that can't even be sold to the public via retailers.

I'm thinking the Gamepad will indeed work on their next platform. They spent an insane amount of money on R&D for the lag free wireless connection. It would be crazy to throw that away. In fact I'm thinking Nintendo will use the streaming tech in their next handheld as well.

If you call an "insane amount of money on R&D" the miracast licensing fee, then that is true. Im sure the next console will just license some other flash in the pan tech if tablets are no longer popular.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#72enterthemadroxPosted 7/13/2013 2:59:04 PM
Benzychenz posted...
I was thinking of how a price cut is inevitable these holidays. A $350 Wii U against a $400 PS4 is suicide. But I know how hesitant Nintendo is to do it seeing as I believe they've said the Wii U is selling at a (slight) loss already(?).

It amazes me that with the massive hardware difference the two systems can be priced so similar. And it's that damn gamepad. It's pretty much adding $100 to the price of the console.

The problem is that almost no one would value what the gamepad brings as being worth $100.
A $250 system with a basic controller, or a more powerful $350 system (getting games like Destiny and Battlefield 4) would be doing so much better than the Wii U is currently.

Yep, Gamepad is such a terrible idea that Sony and Microsoft want to include their own into their console's controllers.
---
"If you don't like something, don't watch it again. Why whinge about it on a forum to a load of divs? Don't worry about it." - Karl Pilkington
#73king_maddenPosted 7/13/2013 4:36:18 PM
enterthemadrox posted...
Benzychenz posted...
I was thinking of how a price cut is inevitable these holidays. A $350 Wii U against a $400 PS4 is suicide. But I know how hesitant Nintendo is to do it seeing as I believe they've said the Wii U is selling at a (slight) loss already(?).

It amazes me that with the massive hardware difference the two systems can be priced so similar. And it's that damn gamepad. It's pretty much adding $100 to the price of the console.

The problem is that almost no one would value what the gamepad brings as being worth $100.
A $250 system with a basic controller, or a more powerful $350 system (getting games like Destiny and Battlefield 4) would be doing so much better than the Wii U is currently.

Yep, Gamepad is such a terrible idea that Sony and Microsoft want to include their own into their console's controllers.

well one neither is including it into their controllers, 2 neither is making it the main attraction like nintendo is, 3, with theirs or at least sony, you can use pretty much any device as another gamepad. its like they are taking what nintendo did and making it better.

like nintendo tried to do while copying sonys playing a console game on a handheld route.
#74SlimeSwayzePosted 7/13/2013 4:45:28 PM
What makes it a horrible decision is that Nintendo themselves still haven't made any games or applications that show that the gamepad actually makes traditional gaming more fun. Other than a few gameplay elements in a handful of mini-games, the Gamepad is just an expensive controller that does nothing to justify its own existence. Off-screen play is nice, but I'd much rather have simply had the Gamepad be an optional peripheral if Nintendo isn't going to even take full advantage of it. So far, much like the wii-mote, the majority of games I've played on the console would be just as fun, and possibly even better, without having to use the Gamepad.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#75Nerreltron9000Posted 7/13/2013 8:10:53 PM
Benzychenz posted...

It's not the gamepad's fault for driving the Wii U cost up, it's PSN's mandatory membership that's responsible for pushing the PS4's cost down. The PS4 is a great deal for $400; too good to be possible without charging for online to make up the loss. Nintendo doesn't do that; if they did, the Wii U could have been $250 or less, easily.

People never stop to consider those types of costs. A generation worth of online play on PS4 will add about $350 to the cost of the system, making it fair to say the actual price for a fully functioning online PS4 is $750, not $400.

The similar price wouldn't matter as much if Nintendo had really made an asset out of the gamepad and amazed people with what it can do, but they haven't. They almost seem puzzled that anyone expected them to innovate with it, as if off-TV play was enough.
#76Nerreltron9000Posted 7/13/2013 8:28:51 PM
king_madden posted...
you can use pretty much any device as another gamepad. its like they are taking what nintendo did and making it better.

Explain how using a tablet or handheld is better. I've heard this argument multiple times and it's never gotten any less stupid.

LAG. Developers have confirmed that smartglass/vita cannot do the same things the gamepad does because of the higher latency connections these systems have. That means anything that involves any sort of reaction speed or quick timing is off the table.

HANDS. You only have two of them. Does anyone really want to drop their controller to fumble with a phone or a big, clumsy tablet for second, only to drop those devices and pick up the controller again every time they want to check a map or view their inventory? Wouldn't it be faster and more convenient to just pause the damn game? The whole point of the gamepad screen (so far, anyway) is to streamline mundane little actions like those and make them painless. I see smartglass ( and even vita) going in the opposite direction from that.
#77king_maddenPosted 7/13/2013 8:51:09 PM
Nerreltron9000 posted...
king_madden posted...
you can use pretty much any device as another gamepad. its like they are taking what nintendo did and making it better.

Explain how using a tablet or handheld is better. I've heard this argument multiple times and it's never gotten any less stupid.

LAG. Developers have confirmed that smartglass/vita cannot do the same things the gamepad does because of the higher latency connections these systems have. That means anything that involves any sort of reaction speed or quick timing is off the table.

HANDS. You only have two of them. Does anyone really want to drop their controller to fumble with a phone or a big, clumsy tablet for second, only to drop those devices and pick up the controller again every time they want to check a map or view their inventory? Wouldn't it be faster and more convenient to just pause the damn game? The whole point of the gamepad screen (so far, anyway) is to streamline mundane little actions like those and make them painless. I see smartglass ( and even vita) going in the opposite direction from that.

vita would be a better draw (especially with a price drop), because even if there is a lag issue, as long as it wasnt major, im fairly certain most would get use to it quickly, and the ability to play your entire ps4 collection wherever you are with a decent internet would make it all worth it.

as for tablets and other devices, thats mainly for 2nd player, but seriously if you are frustrated with a specific area, im sure no one would be against pausing the game and taking a few seconds to send yourself some help. as far as maps go, the same can be said about the gamepad, if you want to look at the map you still have to stop what you're doing on screen and look down at the pad (pausing the game). one is pausing and picking up a device next to you, the other is pausing and looking down, either way the game is stopping

im not sure why you are fumbling with devices or why you have a clumsy device, but I can set my tablet on the bed and just look over and tap what i need, why you're juggling it is confusing to me.

not to mention all of these things are also helpful away from your home entirely, send help, download a game to your console while you're away so you can play when you get home are all positives.

i give gamepad the nod if you are just playing console games at home on the small screen, but playing games away from home, getting friends to help, accessing your console away from home, i give the nod to the other devices.
#78darkjedilinkPosted 7/13/2013 11:12:42 PM
king_madden posted...
Nerreltron9000 posted...
king_madden posted...

vita would be a better draw (especially with a price drop), because even if there is a lag issue, as long as it wasnt major, im fairly certain most would get use to it quickly, and the ability to play your entire ps4 collection wherever you are with a decent internet would make it all worth it.

as for tablets and other devices, thats mainly for 2nd player, but seriously if you are frustrated with a specific area, im sure no one would be against pausing the game and taking a few seconds to send yourself some help. as far as maps go, the same can be said about the gamepad, if you want to look at the map you still have to stop what you're doing on screen and look down at the pad (pausing the game). one is pausing and picking up a device next to you, the other is pausing and looking down, either way the game is stopping

im not sure why you are fumbling with devices or why you have a clumsy device, but I can set my tablet on the bed and just look over and tap what i need, why you're juggling it is confusing to me.

not to mention all of these things are also helpful away from your home entirely, send help, download a game to your console while you're away so you can play when you get home are all positives.

i give gamepad the nod if you are just playing console games at home on the small screen, but playing games away from home, getting friends to help, accessing your console away from home, i give the nod to the other devices.

So, you've taken that $400 console and doubled the price, just to do SOME of the things you can do with the GamePad.

Your last line SCREAMED of ignorance. "I give it a nod if you're just doing Off-TV play." WOW.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#79LvthnPosted 7/13/2013 11:22:31 PM
Benzychenz posted...
For Mario Kart it has a MASSIVE HORN BUTTON for gods sake.

Seriously? I laughed.
#80ImGanondorfLolPosted 7/13/2013 11:26:17 PM
It's great to have but the cost of it might not be worth it..