Got Wii U today, question about pad

#1II Sora IIPosted 7/13/2013 12:04:42 PM
If I'm on the internet channel, is it possible for me to turn off the Gamepad entire and watch whatever videos I watch on the browser on the TV only and have no display from the pad? Thanks.
---
http://s11.postimg.org/hm0fe6k3n/Picture_9.png http://puu.sh/2EwEm.gif
#2Jacob46719Posted 7/13/2013 12:05:44 PM
why would you want to do that?
---
Backlog of games: Too many unfinished games.
#3QlJGamerPosted 7/13/2013 12:09:42 PM
No the pad is needed for the Internet. I do not understand, the problem it is sooo irrelevant.

It like getting gas at a gas station and you want supreme gas but they only have supreme gas, now you feel cheated because you didn't have a choice of gas quality.
---
Quite Intelligent Judging!
#4II Sora II(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 12:57:59 PM
QlJGamer posted...
No the pad is needed for the Internet. I do not understand, the problem it is sooo irrelevant.

It like getting gas at a gas station and you want supreme gas but they only have supreme gas, now you feel cheated because you didn't have a choice of gas quality.

It's not irrelevant, it was a genuine question. I didn't want to have the gamepad screen turned on when I'm watching a video on my TV. Understand now?
---
http://s11.postimg.org/hm0fe6k3n/Picture_9.png http://puu.sh/2EwEm.gif
#5DiscostewSMPosted 7/13/2013 1:18:43 PM
The only way I found out how to have the Gamepad screen turned off while watching video online is to have the Gamepad screen turned off before using the Internet Browser, and browsing with a Wiimote or Pro Controller. It works this way, unfortunately, anything that require input of text (like searching) requires the Gamepad, so if you have a video you're going to watch with the Internet Browser and want the Gamepad screen turned off during it, you'll have to be at the page where you start up the video, press the HOME button, turn off the screen, go back into the Internet Browser (it doesn't freeze it like it will with actual games since the browser is integrated with the OS), and then use a Wiimote or Pro Controller to start up the video.

Yes, not exactly a convenient way to do this, but it works nonetheless. This should be something addressed to Nintendo and added, like pressing a certain button while using the Internet Browser turns off the display, and pressing any button while in that state turns the screen back on.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#6blinkfreakPosted 7/13/2013 1:24:05 PM
You can turn off the screen through the gamepad settings through the home menu. However the screen will turn back on as soon as you press a button (which is required to get out of the home menu). Might work if you have a wii remote but I am not sure if you can use a wii remote in the browser.
#7Glem3Posted 7/13/2013 1:25:59 PM
Like others have said, you can turn off the gamepad screen and then just browse with a wii remote or pro controller.
#8Go2ChurchPosted 7/13/2013 1:26:37 PM
Unfortunately, the gamepad has to be on for almost everything.

But if you keep it plugged in, it's not a big deal. The battery wont overcharge.
---
Everybody seeks happiness! Not me, though! Thats the difference between me and the rest of the world. Happiness isnt good enough for me! I demand euphoria!
#9darkjedilinkPosted 7/13/2013 1:27:22 PM
II Sora II posted...
QlJGamer posted...

It's not irrelevant, it was a genuine question. I didn't want to have the gamepad screen turned on when I'm watching a video on my TV. Understand now?

No, we don't. WHY do you want to have the GamePad screen off? What does the GamePad being on have to do with anything?
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#10TheMisfit88Posted 7/13/2013 1:32:57 PM
darkjedilink posted...
II Sora II posted...
QlJGamer posted...

No, we don't. WHY do you want to have the GamePad screen off? What does the GamePad being on have to do with anything?

Gee, I dunno. Maybe he just doesn't want to drain the gamepad's already piddly battery life while he was watching a video? Sounds like a reasonable thing to ask for from anyone who doesn't worship the ground Nintendo walks on, methinks.
---
Fiend for Life