Got Wii U today, question about pad

#11darkjedilinkPosted 7/13/2013 1:35:19 PM
TheMisfit88 posted...
darkjedilink posted...
II Sora II posted...
QlJGamer posted...
No the pad is needed for the Internet. I do not understand, the problem it is sooo irrelevant.

It like getting gas at a gas station and you want supreme gas but they only have supreme gas, now you feel cheated because you didn't have a choice of gas quality.

It's not irrelevant, it was a genuine question. I didn't want to have the gamepad screen turned on when I'm watching a video on my TV. Understand now?

No, we don't. WHY do you want to have the GamePad screen off? What does the GamePad being on have to do with anything?

Gee, I dunno. Maybe he just doesn't want to drain the gamepad's already piddly battery life while he was watching a video? Sounds like a reasonable thing to ask for from anyone who doesn't worship the ground Nintendo walks on, methinks.

ITP: The GamePad doesn't have a charge cable, and can't be set face-down so the screen can't be seen while watching a movie via the Wii U.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#12TheMisfit88Posted 7/13/2013 1:41:34 PM
darkjedilink posted...
TheMisfit88 posted...
darkjedilink posted...
II Sora II posted...
QlJGamer posted...
No the pad is needed for the Internet. I do not understand, the problem it is sooo irrelevant.

It like getting gas at a gas station and you want supreme gas but they only have supreme gas, now you feel cheated because you didn't have a choice of gas quality.

It's not irrelevant, it was a genuine question. I didn't want to have the gamepad screen turned on when I'm watching a video on my TV. Understand now?

No, we don't. WHY do you want to have the GamePad screen off? What does the GamePad being on have to do with anything?

Gee, I dunno. Maybe he just doesn't want to drain the gamepad's already piddly battery life while he was watching a video? Sounds like a reasonable thing to ask for from anyone who doesn't worship the ground Nintendo walks on, methinks.

ITP: The GamePad doesn't have a charge cable, and can't be set face-down so the screen can't be seen while watching a movie via the Wii U.

ITP: Everyone's living room or gaming setup is situated close to a power outlet to provide infinite wii u gamepad power.
---
Fiend for Life
#13chaomaster4000Posted 7/13/2013 1:45:30 PM
It's not an unreasonable request to want to turn the GamePad off when you're not using it - it's about not wasting electricity more than anything else.

Unfortunately TC you can turn the screen off but you can't turn the gamepad off entirely, outside of letting it run flat which probably isn't good for the battery in the long run.
---
"Hey! Where's MY alien donkey?"
#14darkjedilinkPosted 7/13/2013 1:49:27 PM
TheMisfit88 posted...
darkjedilink posted...
TheMisfit88 posted...
darkjedilink posted...
II Sora II posted...

ITP: Everyone's living room or gaming setup is situated close to a power outlet to provide infinite wii u gamepad power.

At least in the United States, there is no legal way it could NOT be situated close to an outlet - they have to be US Building Codes require residential outlets no more than every ten feet apart, good for at least one on almost every wall in the room. Since the cable is about 8 feet long, that puts it over half the distance of almost any wall in any living room I've ever seen.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#15II Sora II(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 2:59:10 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
The only way I found out how to have the Gamepad screen turned off while watching video online is to have the Gamepad screen turned off before using the Internet Browser, and browsing with a Wiimote or Pro Controller. It works this way, unfortunately, anything that require input of text (like searching) requires the Gamepad, so if you have a video you're going to watch with the Internet Browser and want the Gamepad screen turned off during it, you'll have to be at the page where you start up the video, press the HOME button, turn off the screen, go back into the Internet Browser (it doesn't freeze it like it will with actual games since the browser is integrated with the OS), and then use a Wiimote or Pro Controller to start up the video.

Yes, not exactly a convenient way to do this, but it works nonetheless. This should be something addressed to Nintendo and added, like pressing a certain button while using the Internet Browser turns off the display, and pressing any button while in that state turns the screen back on.

Thanks a lot for your help. You and others provided the kind of answer I was looking for.
---
http://s11.postimg.org/hm0fe6k3n/Picture_9.png http://puu.sh/2EwEm.gif
#16FFXIgaiaknightPosted 7/13/2013 3:02:33 PM
best thing about using youtube on the browser is i can watch a video on the TV and still use the gamepad for surfing the internet :)
---
3DS FC: 4124-5007-1536
NNI: Gaiaknight