I feel like the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will be the same as the Wii U.

#1BlueInfinityPosted 7/13/2013 5:52:25 PM
It's almost dramatic irony.

The Wii U was extremely hyped up. This was the come back of Nintendo from the "casual" title. Third parties are crazy for it! It's bringing new ways to play like we all expect from Nintendo, it's all our favorite Nintendo titles in glorious HD and that Zelda tech demo blew minds! Online is being taken seriously, and the biggest launch library in history!

Then it was released and quickly people expectations weren't satisfied, and the usual game drought post-release happened. Third parties gave Nintendo the same middle finger as they did with the 3DS post-launch.

I feel like the PlayStation 4 is definitely going to get the same treatment. People are putting extremely unrealistic expectations and are showboating the PlayStation 4 exactly the same as people did the Nintendo Wii U before its release. I thought about this after reading this post in another thread:

Xbox One was another example of the Wii U effect. After Wii U's launch, do you guys remember the *extreme* hype around the Xbox One? And after the reveal, the reaction was mind blowing-- all of people's expectations WERE met-- always online, online being the big infrastructure, HD, Cloud, digital age.

But that wasn't what people wanted in the end, despite vocally wanting it. Nintendo talked about this as well (specifically Reggie), and they were right. Consumer's aren't sure what they want. They think they do, but they don't. They want something new, and never before experienced-- but want something familiar.

What do you guys think? Do you think the PlayStation 4 will similarly disappoint in the start and go through the same game drought (as the VITA did)? What about Xbox One? Will it come back swinging?

Do you think the Wii U once the drought is over in the next month will spring back into action just like the Nintendo 3DS did once titles started flowing out?
---
'[Blue], call me whatever feels right on your keyboard.' - Marsford
'I didn't bother to read any of that since you have bad taste in games.' - KGTrigger
#2geneticsftwPosted 7/13/2013 5:54:30 PM
Sony peeps are guided by blind loyalty, you could put moldy bread in the box and they would praise it.
---
Sweet
#3DeviljhoHAXPosted 7/13/2013 5:57:52 PM
I think the Wii U will go through just how the 3DS did before. I just hope my younger brother can keep his sanity while waiting for Bayonetta 2 and MK8.
---
Is it hard to ask for a really good Warhammer 40k video game?
Pokemon black 2 FC: 2967-6579-5624
#4FayeLadyPosted 7/13/2013 5:59:10 PM
I would have agreed before the dramatic shift from Xbone to PS4. Between that and the fact the this gen has been agonizingly long, I think that PS4 will sell exceptionally.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#5trainer2689Posted 7/13/2013 6:05:53 PM
The main difference is that the third parties are not going to bail on both Sony and Microsoft. They may bail one of them, but not both. My money is on Sony wooing third parties because they're the ones keeping the status quo. Nintendo will recover with their lineup this year, but I don't really see third parties rushing back them. They weren't exactly showering the Wii U with great titles at launch either. Arkham City, ME3, etc are all acclaimed games, but re-releasing titles more than a month or two old is flat out stupid and this evidenced by the success, or lack thereof, the Wii U has experienced.

I don't know how the Xbone will do this holiday season. My guess is that the dudebro collegiate crowd will buy it though.
#6Who_Dat504Posted 7/13/2013 6:12:53 PM
Only Nintendo fanboys hyped up the Wii U, the rest of the world has no idea what the Wii U is.
---
Saints, LSU, and Pelicans fan!
#7geneticsftwPosted 7/13/2013 6:13:34 PM
Who_Dat504 posted...
Only Nintendo fanboys hyped up the Wii U, the rest of the world has no idea what the Wii U is.

Peter Moore is a fanboy
---
Sweet
#8zerooo0Posted 7/13/2013 6:19:16 PM
I don't think so. The Next Gen Consoles so far looks like they're already getting better 3rd party support that makes it worth it for people like me who love 3rd party support more than 1st party support.

Also the X1, & PS4 have a lot more buzz around them right now instead of the Wii U right now. The X1/PS4 is getting marketed a lot, & will sell out right away. Now it's impossible to predict how they will do in the long run right now though.
---
Starwars Battlefront PS4/X1 console boards are up. COME LETS DISCUSS NEXT GEN BATTLEFRONT ON FROSTBITE 3
#9FayeLadyPosted 7/13/2013 6:21:06 PM
zerooo0 posted...
I don't think so. The Next Gen Consoles so far looks like they're already getting better 3rd party support that makes it worth it for people like me who love 3rd party support more than 1st party support.

Also the X1, & PS4 have a lot more buzz around them right now instead of the Wii U right now. The X1/PS4 is getting marketed a lot, & will sell out right away. Now it's impossible to predict how they will do in the long run right now though.

True, but I'd say we can accurately predict how their sales will run thru 2013.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#10AiddonPosted 7/13/2013 6:23:58 PM
ya mean their launch years will be slow and uneventful like every other console launch in history? That's not insight, that's just checking history.