The companies don't really try "dark" advertising anymore

#11LordBowserPosted 7/14/2013 12:49:32 AM
I think that marketing for gaming in general is really screwed up right now. There is a number of possible reasons why, the biggest I think being the economy -- people are buying a lot less entertainment now, and watching their money better. Once this recession eases out (assuming it does) then things will be more 'normal' so to speak, though to most this likely is 'normal'. Even for me, it's hard to remember a time where game developers were more bold and creative and existent.

I doubt things will change any time soon. Even when they do, I don't expect marketing to change with it. People want to get the most enjoyable product for their time. Instead of something being mysterious or different, people want something tried and true and flat out better. Basically, we as a consumer, have grown pretty bland tastes and just want more of the same, or at least that's what marketing presumes, and they want to play safe and sure.

This is a big reason I like Nintendo, while their marketing is obviously lacking, they still innovate where very few others do.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#12geneticsftwPosted 7/14/2013 12:55:17 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
Iokua posted...
Of course they don't, that type of marketing is usually silly, ineffective, poorly conceived and aimed at the wrong people. Just look back at the PS3's initial marketing, they tried to "dark and moody" advertising scheme and it was terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU

*shudders*

Looks like sony was marketing towards toddlers.
---
Sweet
#13Golden MavenPosted 7/14/2013 1:00:29 AM
TheMisterManGuy posted...
We don't really see this kind of advertising for a new platform nowadays.

That kind of advertising was used for other products as well. It was the style in the late 90s.

LordBowser posted...
people are buying a lot less entertainment now

People devote more and more of their income to entertainment.
#14TheMisterManGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2013 4:14:14 AM
Iokua posted...
Of course they don't, that type of marketing is usually silly, ineffective, poorly conceived and aimed at the wrong people. Just look back at the PS3's initial marketing, they tried to "dark and moody" advertising scheme and it was terrible.

Well TBF, those were the actual commercials for the PS3 as opposed to just Teasers leading up to the real ad campaign like the Dreamcast.
---
In a gaming world filled with chaos & fanboyism, I try to be the voice that guides people to the truth.