Sony did not just prove the Wii U is equal to the PS4 *Response Topic*

#1941BlazePosted 7/13/2013 11:41:56 PM
This is a response to GodofLaziness' topic referring to this story:

http://playeressence.com/did-sony-just-prove-the-wii-us-texture-bandwidth-is-not-slow/?fb_source=pubv1

I watched the video, wondered what the rest of the video was, and looked for this video, which was the full Mark Cerny talk here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJW5OKbh0WA

To understand the story, if you don't want to watch the whole thing, begin watching at 37:30 and end at 41:30

What actually was said was
-Sony is using a 256-bit bus which allows for 176 GB/s of memory bandwidth
-They could have used a smaller bus and some eDRAM, which would have allowed for 1000GB/s BUT it would have been hard to draw out the power and taken more "time to triangle" i.e. draw out the true power of the console in as little time as possible. So it would have been harder to develop for, meaning, less games, or at least less great games graphically.
-Sony, because it went with a more accessible architecture, now has development times for games *supposedly* around the same as they were during the ps1 days: 1-4 months.
-Sony wanted to make the console as developer friendly as possible, so this dip in power in exchange of developer-friendliness was a must.

According to this article, Wii U is using a 64-bit bus according to this article:

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/01/17/wiiu-memory-story/

and this forum

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=60516977
(just ctrl + f "bus" and you'll find the info)

If this is true, that means that there is even less graphical power on the Wii U.
Now, even if they supplement the 64-bit of ram with some eDRAM, it will affect the ability of developers to draw out the power, and it will take Wii U developers more "time to triangle" meaning less graphically amazing games.

Therefore, as Cerny said in the video, "176 is actually more than 1000"

The Wii U has not scored a victory today. Unfortunately.
---
Snapple Fact #758
The only lizard that has a voice is the gecko
#2ZakurooPosted 7/13/2013 11:55:25 PM
Why does the Wii U need to score a victory?

Nintendo always does their own thing, regardless of trends and other bull ****.

There's room in my home for a PS4 and a Wii U.

....**** the Xbox One, though.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1798-2750 Name: Dakota
PSN: Wolfy4226. Add me. Wii U: Wolfy4226 Add me.
#3941Blaze(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 11:58:05 PM
Well I never said they had to score a victory, but people are always going to compare things.

And graphics are a, frankly, unimportant aspect of gaming for me. I'm just trying to get the info out there.

And I agree with you on the Xbox One ;p
---
Snapple Fact #758
#4geneticsftwPosted 7/13/2013 11:58:26 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5shaunmePosted 7/13/2013 11:59:01 PM
The wii u is not equal to the ps4

it is better.....at least until after mk8 launches
---
Nintendo can only dream of selling PS2 numbers. NNID:shaunme1
only 1 non Wii u owning troll on my ignore list.
#6DeathSnipe777Posted 7/14/2013 12:08:06 AM
Except no one in that other topic ever said that the WiiU was equal to the PS4, and the other topic's title didn't even imply it.
---
3DS FC: 3609-1047-7032
Steam / PSN / NNID: Marlouchu
#7rudgerlightPosted 7/14/2013 12:10:04 AM
History has shown that Sony is absolutely terrible at configuring their RAM. Playstations always seem to have odd bottlenecks. So to fix that Sony went with a huge amount of very fast RAM.

This works, but let's be real here - it's the lazy option.

Will it be easier to program for? Probably, but not for very long. These days people should be learning to code in OpenCL. OpenCL should work with all of the components found in all 3 next gen consoles - they all use AMD GPUs and AMD uses OpenCL. You can set your code up to check what hardware configuration you are working with and adjust your code from there. It will take time for people to get a handle on it, but once they do, expect dramatic improvements in a lot of devices. Suddenly people can use the GPU for all sorts of things they couldn't last gen.

This should hopefully lead to easier porting across all sorts of devices.
#8geneticsftwPosted 7/14/2013 12:13:13 AM
I guess this proves reading comprehension is low..
---
Sweet
#9941Blaze(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2013 12:16:35 AM
DeathSnipe777 posted...
Except no one in that other topic ever said that the WiiU was equal to the PS4, and the other topic's title didn't even imply it.

True, I'm just worried about people not understanding the nature and info of the other topic
---
Snapple Fact #758
#10StarBladeEdgePosted 7/14/2013 12:41:40 AM(edited)
941Blaze posted...
DeathSnipe777 posted...

True, I'm just worried about people not understanding the nature and info of the other topic

no , you are just another sony slave who want's to troll and annoy people here. that's it.

wiiu is still better than ps3/4. hell , a garbage can with a broken computerchip in it is better :D

oh kirbyfans oh neeh 1
---
WiiU>>PS3/PS4>>>>>>>>>That's it. Every stupid post get's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI