The industry completely lost it's will to create and to be free artistically

#11plasmatic5Posted 7/14/2013 6:03:19 AM
ilovesmallhorse posted...
I still stand by my OP. Indies ARE part of the industry, but all they do is retro stuff. Where is the will to be creative with the new possibilities of the wii U? Why is every game on the ps 4 a rehash? It botters me.

The reason indies do a lot more retro is because of just that; they're independent developers. They do not have the resources (Manpower and money) to do a completely modern game. That's why many indie games are 2D platformers or some kind of puzzle game (easiest games to develop in terms of resources).
---
My Superheroes consist of the band members of the Who, Led Zeppelin, and The Beatles
#12FayeLadyPosted 7/14/2013 6:07:53 AM
Seems like you are confusing a desire to have creative freedom with general unwillingness to support the Wii U. I think the industry as a whole is seeing many creative games (Hotline Miami, Octodad). I think these games are skipping the Wii U for the same reason non creative games (Madden, Battlefield, GTA) are skipping it, lack of uptake. If you want creative freedom on your project then there is a good chance you'll be forced to fund it yourself. That being said, if EA and Rockstar don't think they can make money on the platform, what chance is a self published title going to have?
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#13ilovesmallhorse(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2013 6:16:43 AM
FayeLady posted...
Seems like you are confusing a desire to have creative freedom with general unwillingness to support the Wii U. I think the industry as a whole is seeing many creative games (Hotline Miami, Octodad). I think these games are skipping the Wii U for the same reason non creative games (Madden, Battlefield, GTA) are skipping it, lack of uptake. If you want creative freedom on your project then there is a good chance you'll be forced to fund it yourself. That being said, if EA and Rockstar don't think they can make money on the platform, what chance is a self published title going to have?

Hot line miami and octodad creative? How?
#14FayeLadyPosted 7/14/2013 6:25:52 AM
FayeLady posted...

In their gameplay mechanics and control scheme. Ive never seen anything play like either. Granted i'm limited this to games where the gameplay is artistically creative, because I don't feel games that are artistically creative in presentation (Muramasa, Okami) are in the same catagory
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#15MercurysMessagePosted 7/14/2013 6:29:01 AM
FayeLady posted...

Flow, journey, flower, minecraft aren't creative? OH OK.

Your the kind of person who can't appreciate games then, obviously. Video games have been around for a long while now. If you are going to call everything a "platformer, TPS, FPS, puzzle, etc." game and not look at the content and mechanics of the game everything will always be old to you.
---
"There is not love of life without despair about life"
-Albert Camus
#16Dr_FacerPosted 7/14/2013 6:29:06 AM
The industry completely lost it's will to create and to be free artistically

Nah, they simply chose to be free artistically in other consoles where they can also get a profit.

And if you were familiar with Nintendo's extremely restrictive policies of content, or at least how restrictive they were all the way from Nes to N64, you wouldn't be saying that.
#17RainingMetalPosted 7/14/2013 7:44:24 AM
Don't you mean the bribing of western journalists by Microsoft is proof of this?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cJNpPN6AO8
Steam Account: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197964001631
#18ilovesmallhorse(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2013 11:40:24 AM
MercurysMessage posted...
FayeLady posted...

Flow, journey, flower, minecraft aren't creative? OH OK.

Your the kind of person who can't appreciate games then, obviously. Video games have been around for a long while now. If you are going to call everything a "platformer, TPS, FPS, puzzle, etc." game and not look at the content and mechanics of the game everything will always be old to you.

They aren't. Two small developers don't mean a whole lot.