What do you guys define as graphics?

#1GloryChaosPosted 7/14/2013 8:46:14 AM
Topic. What visual factors are lumped into the category of graphics for you?

For me, it's a combination of resolution and art style. Does the game look good? For me, Super Metroid and Metroid Zero Mission have far better graphics than Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Although a good game, Spirit Tracks manages to look pretty ugly with it's low poly models and art style honestly doesn't come off as appealing.

Meanwhile, Metroid Zero Mission still looks great to this day on inferior hardware. The comic book artstyle was perfect for metroid (and I'd really like to see them use it again) and the game hasn't aged badly at all. If anything, it's made the first metroid game look worse by comparison.

For more modern games, I would say that Super Mario Galaxy has better graphics than Call of Duty: Black Ops on any platform.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#2stekim40Posted 7/14/2013 8:47:57 AM
Graphics is anything visible onscreen.
---
With Kinect you are the tool, Microsoft's tool. Now dance puppet, dance!
#3Tech_SupportPosted 7/14/2013 8:48:02 AM
umm yea you had a decent opinion until you decided to go overboard with that last line.
---
Stop. Posting. On the Wii Board. You're really this close away from a Suspension. - CyricZ
#4FayeLadyPosted 7/14/2013 8:50:00 AM
Just about everything. From the technical portion of resolution, pixels and textures, to the more abstract visual atmosphere and presentation of a game.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#5shaunmePosted 7/14/2013 8:50:05 AM
GloryChaos posted...
Topic. What visual factors are lumped into the category of graphics for you?

For me, it's a combination of resolution and art style. Does the game look good? For me, Super Metroid and Metroid Zero Mission have far better graphics than Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Although a good game, Spirit Tracks manages to look pretty ugly with it's low poly models and art style honestly doesn't come off as appealing.

Meanwhile, Metroid Zero Mission still looks great to this day on inferior hardware. The comic book artstyle was perfect for metroid (and I'd really like to see them use it again) and the game hasn't aged badly at all. If anything, it's made the first metroid game look worse by comparison.

For more modern games, I would say that Super Mario Galaxy has better graphics than Call of Duty: Black Ops on any platform.

Agreed
---
Nintendo can only dream of selling PS2 numbers. NNID:shaunme1
only 1 non Wii u owning troll on my ignore list.
#6FFXIgaiaknightPosted 7/14/2013 8:51:36 AM
well said TC.
---
3DS FC: 4124-5007-1536
NNI: Gaiaknight
#7DiscostewSMPosted 7/14/2013 8:51:53 AM
If it is pleasing to the eyes, then the amount of power put towards graphic output doesn't really matter.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#8GloryChaos(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2013 8:52:03 AM
Tech_Support posted...
umm yea you had a decent opinion until you decided to go overboard with that last line.

The first Black Ops game doesn't even run in native HD. It's like 544p (Vita resolution) but stretched out to fit a wider screen.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#900bularn00bularPosted 7/14/2013 8:57:43 AM
Tech_Support posted...

But he's right. I love CoD, but Black Ops looked like garbage. Nothing annoys me more than buying a game that isn't in HD for an HD system...
---
Sonic's Earth IS Earth. This has been proven through science~Nacho_Burger
#10t41tGjrPosted 7/14/2013 9:07:38 AM
GloryChaos posted...
Tech_Support posted...

The first Black Ops game doesn't even run in native HD. It's like 544p (Vita resolution) but stretched out to fit a wider screen.

Not on PC.
---
GT: t41tgjr
Owner of an ambassador Zelda Edition 3DS and will not be upgrading. >:(