Miyamoto thinks Japanese gamers think Western games are too difficult

#11NickTheBlitzPosted 7/14/2013 9:05:28 PM
Dorami posted...
Apparently FPS games are not well received in Japan because they're too hard--the exact same reaction westerners have toward shmups.

This. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_c-QcXnm-6O8/TBu4KheqRWI/AAAAAAAAAOM/j6SpRgCXBHE/s1600/sai_touhou_motivator_1_display.jpg
---
"Love, hope, faith. The greatest of these: love."
Check out my webcomic! http://www.drunkduck.com/La_Vie_a_la_Mode
#12Kane90987(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2013 11:30:03 PM
Vidgmchtr posted...
Miyamoto was never the President of Nintendo. Not sure if trolling.

Iwata became President of Nintendo Co Ltd. in 2002. Before him it was Hiroshi Yamauchi, who had been President since around the late 1940s.

Miyamoto is the head of EAD. Reggie is the head of the American HQ.

Ugh... My bad, I was mislead by rumors... *facedesk @ self**

Either way, my point still stands... There are tons of Japanese games that are alot harder than Western games...
#13nonexistingheroPosted 7/15/2013 1:55:08 AM
CaioNV posted...
Weastern people are definitely more likely to quit a game because it's too hard than Japanese people... Miyamoto is saying ****, sorry dude.

That's not true. Japanese gamers generally have next to no skill. Yeah, their best players can do some insane crazy stuff. But they are the exception. Theres a good reason why there's a decent amount of games with harder default difficulties in the west than Japanese games. It wasn't always like this, but I think that shift started roughly around the PS2 era.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#14nonexistingheroPosted 7/15/2013 1:56:30 AM
NickTheBlitz posted...
Dorami posted...
Apparently FPS games are not well received in Japan because they're too hard--the exact same reaction westerners have toward shmups.

This. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_c-QcXnm-6O8/TBu4KheqRWI/AAAAAAAAAOM/j6SpRgCXBHE/s1600/sai_touhou_motivator_1_display.jpg

Shmups are niche everywhere around the world, including Japan.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#15JackalPosted 7/15/2013 1:59:26 AM
This is the result of 30 years of buttdropping coins.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#16Oni_TaedoPosted 7/15/2013 2:42:15 AM
Mega Man 2.

We got difficulty settings. They didn't. They got one difficulty.
Mega F*ing HARD!

Hell, FF5 didn't get released over here for years, because Square thought that us "stupid foreign baka gaijin" weren't smart enough to complete it.
---
TvC Friend Code: 4598-2098-0537
PSN ID: Oni_Ishida
#17Gaawa_chanPosted 7/15/2013 4:09:14 AM(edited)
Gamers today are not identical to gamers as they were twenty+ years ago. Games like Mega Man 2 are irrelevant in terms of the attitudes under which they were released compared to today. The hardest game I've played recently that came out of Japan was Bayonetta.

TheShining79 posted...
FF IV USA was FF IV easy, so heh. Lost levels not being released.

... Easy Type (USA) was actually HARDER than the original version. Really, the only things that made it easier were the tweaks to the Mithril Sword (only useful in one dungeon, though) and the Ribbon (admittedly broken but you can only get two at the very end of the game without grinding for a rare drop on two very specific enemies which are also only accessible near the end of the game). >_>
See, in the USA "Easy Type," they altered enemy AI, which actually made most of the altered enemies harder. For example, they gave Zeromus the party-wide doom spell that previously was unique to an optional boss.

The confusion comes in because people often forget that 'Easy Type' is actually a reverse localization of sorts. They took the US version of FFIV SNES, then modified it even more (aka, made it EASY) and re-released it in Japan as FFIV Easy Type. So Easy Type and the US version of FFIV SNES are NOT the same.
---
"Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error." - Linus Pauling
#18ChokusetsuPosted 7/15/2013 6:12:19 AM
Miyamoto is talking BS again...

Japanese hate western games for the same reason the average western gamer hates japanese games.

Also because like me they probably hate crappy camera controls, first-person view, guns being the main weapon of every damn game, and and games that are nothing but eye-candy.
#19blunderminePosted 7/15/2013 6:28:29 AM
Lousy_Fellow posted...
To be fair, NES/SNES games had the difficulty increased when they came to the West. 7th Saga anyone?

Ya that game was brutal.
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?
#20RolloverBouncinPosted 7/15/2013 6:29:40 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
CaioNV posted...
Weastern people are definitely more likely to quit a game because it's too hard than Japanese people... Miyamoto is saying ****, sorry dude.

That's not true. Japanese gamers generally have next to no skill. Yeah, their best players can do some insane crazy stuff. But they are the exception. Theres a good reason why there's a decent amount of games with harder default difficulties in the west than Japanese games. It wasn't always like this, but I think that shift started roughly around the PS2 era.

Not true. Japanese gamers are just like us. I lived in Japan from 4-12 grade during the snes, ps1-n64. The only difference today is that games in general back then were much simpler. Today developers have complicated things so much that gameplay has been over looked
---
---
PC + Wii U + 3ds. Asus Sabertooth 990fx-FX8120-Sapphire 7950 3gb-Samsung 128gb - 8gb G.skill Sniper Series-Raidmax 1000AE psu-Asus 27" VE278Q