What game playable on the Wii or Wii U is the best Metroid?

#1Sharky8Posted 7/16/2013 7:31:27 AM
What Metroid game (Metroid Prime Gamecube, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Wii, Metroid Other M, etc.) is the best starter game for the series?

Do you think it would be best to start by playing the Gamecube version of Metroid Prime? Is the game easy to get into a good introduction to the series? Or is the Wii version in the trilogy much better?
#2NovaLevossidaPosted 7/16/2013 7:33:41 AM
If you can get the Trilogy for cheap, that's a good way to go. Otherwise, just pick them up individually. The first one is the best, the second Prime game is polarizing to the fan base (but by no means is it an objectively bad game), and the third one is overall good (just not up to the first game in quality). And there's basically no reason to play Other: M.
---
I criticize Nintendo because I love her. I want her to stand as a technical example to the world. - Martin Luther King, Jr
#3Aaron44126Posted 7/16/2013 7:41:23 AM
Agreed. The first Prime is a great place to start. If you like it, proceed to the other two.

I didn't like MP2 the first time I played it but when I came back to it a couple of years later, I thought it was fantastic. I think because it was quite a bit different from MP1 in terms of atmosphere, that set me off at first, but after I knew what to expect I was able to appreciate it.

The Trilogy is a good set, if you can find it at a good price, I'd get it instead of the Gamecube version.
#4wiiking96Posted 7/16/2013 7:45:40 AM
I would start with either Super Metroid or Zero Mission.

Zero Mission is the first game chronologically, and it has very good game feel along with the non-linearity and openness that's defined the Metroid series.

Super Metroid has worse game feel that Zero Mission, and so it might feel lackluster after ZM, which is why you might want to play it first.

For the 3D games, Metroid Prime 1 is the first one you should play.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#5CrystalKing5426Posted 7/16/2013 7:53:57 AM
Prime 1 or Super
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
Evil King of the Zelda Wii U Board
#6Sharky8(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 7:58:55 AM
I played about 20 minutes of Corruption on the Wii and didn't like. So I am REALLY hoping that 1 and 2 are much better, or if the Gamecube versions of those first two games and a Gamecube controller will make the first game, Metroid Prime, better.
#7promo123Posted 7/16/2013 8:17:27 AM
Sharky8 posted...
I played about 20 minutes of Corruption on the Wii and didn't like. So I am REALLY hoping that 1 and 2 are much better, or if the Gamecube versions of those first two games and a Gamecube controller will make the first game, Metroid Prime, better.

You haven't even played the game if you only played for 20 minutes. I've only played the first Prime so far, but there is SO MUCH more to these games than what the first 20 minutes shows you. It's not about the shooting, it's about exploring, which was probably very limited in the first 20 minutes.
---
Everybody's havin' a good time with Poppy Bros!
#8CaptainRandom1Posted 7/16/2013 10:21:32 AM
wiiking96 posted...
I would start with either Super Metroid or Zero Mission.

Zero Mission is the first game chronologically, and it has very good game feel along with the non-linearity and openness that's defined the Metroid series.

Super Metroid has worse game feel that Zero Mission, and so it might feel lackluster after ZM, which is why you might want to play it first.

For the 3D games, Metroid Prime 1 is the first one you should play.

Super Metroid is way more open than Zero Mission. It just uses an engine that doesn't allow for tight controls like Zero Mission. I would love Super Metroid on the Zero Mission engine.
---
3DS FC 4253-3597-1691
#9Neo GenoPosted 7/16/2013 10:33:57 AM
On a side note...

Nintendo should really step up their game and link the eShop channels already.

I shouldn't have to pay full price for the original Metroid on the Wii U eShop when I have already bought it on the 3DS eShop.
#10P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 7/16/2013 10:42:51 AM
Play them in order

Zero Mission
Prime
Hunters
Prime2
Prime3
Return of Samus
Super
Other M
Fusion

My favs in order are Other M, Fusion, and Prime 3 in that order