Can you use the Wii U pro controller to play Wii games?

#1PyschoRaidenPosted 7/16/2013 11:50:51 AM
I can't find my Wii pro controller, and instead of buying a new one I'd much rather just buy a Wii U pro controller, if they work with Wii games also, that is.
---
OURS IS THE FURY
#2SpookyryuPosted 7/16/2013 11:51:31 AM
PyschoRaiden posted...
I can't find my Wii pro controller, and instead of buying a new one I'd much rather just buy a Wii U pro controller, if they work with Wii games also, that is.

I'm sorry but you can't play WII games with the pro controller
#3PyschoRaiden(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 11:53:03 AM
Spookyryu posted...
PyschoRaiden posted...

wtf that sucks!
---
OURS IS THE FURY
#4ave1Posted 7/16/2013 4:52:44 PM
You could get a PS2 to Wii Controller adapter. . . I just bought one, so feel free to ask any ?s :)
---
If a tree falls in a forest and you hear it, but your eyes are closed, how do you know it's not just fifty porcupines sliding down a hill?
#5DarkBlade2Posted 7/16/2013 4:58:21 PM
PyschoRaiden posted...
Spookyryu posted...
PyschoRaiden posted...

wtf that sucks!

What would make you think that a brand new controller would be compatible with games that were never programmed to use it? Heck a system that was never programmed to use it (Cause the WiiU literally becomes a Wii in Wii mode)
#6NovaLevossidaPosted 7/16/2013 5:14:23 PM
DarkBlade2 posted...
PyschoRaiden posted...
Spookyryu posted...
PyschoRaiden posted...

wtf that sucks!

What would make you think that a brand new controller would be compatible with games that were never programmed to use it? Heck a system that was never programmed to use it (Cause the WiiU literally becomes a Wii in Wii mode)

To be fair, on all the backwards compatible systems, I think it's only Nintendo systems that have required you to use last-gen controllers. And with the Wii U Pro controller being essentially the same as a classic controller pro, many people have wondered why they couldn't just use that. It makes sense if you understand how the Wii U emulates the Wii, but it's still disappointing that you can't use your Pro controller in place of a classic controller pro.
---
I criticize Nintendo because I love her. I want her to stand as a technical example to the world. - Martin Luther King, Jr
#7DiscostewSMPosted 7/16/2013 5:24:35 PM
NovaLevossida posted...
DarkBlade2 posted...
PyschoRaiden posted...
Spookyryu posted...
PyschoRaiden posted...

wtf that sucks!

To be fair, on all the backwards compatible systems, I think it's only Nintendo systems that have required you to use last-gen controllers. And with the Wii U Pro controller being essentially the same as a classic controller pro, many people have wondered why they couldn't just use that. It makes sense if you understand how the Wii U emulates the Wii, but it's still disappointing that you can't use your Pro controller in place of a classic controller pro.

Well, the Classic controller connects to the Wiimote, and that communicates with the system. The Pro Controller communicates directly.

Homebrewers have been able to get the Pro Controller to communicate with the Wii (not just Wii mode of Wii U), but that is something coded into the programs that they make. They aren't patching the system to allow use of it for any actual Wii/Wiiware game. Not sure if they'e attempt that approach though.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#8Thunderbird8Posted 7/16/2013 6:26:33 PM
The individual games themselves would need to be patched to allow for it.

The only reason the PS3 and the 360 don't require last gen controllers to work with previous gen games is that they emulate their games to some extent (though a PS3 that is hardware compatible with PS2 games doesn't have to do much). The Wii U does not do any emulation of Wii games (unless you count the GPU scaling Wii games to the chosen display resolution in the Wii U), so Pro Controllers are unusable for Wii games.
#9hydrocrushPosted 7/16/2013 6:33:01 PM
theres a adapter to use a gamecube controller on the wii u
---
WINNER E3 2013 NINTENDO
2nd place microsoft because at least they were funny last is sony because they sucked hard - FUN FACT most of gamefaqs is sony fanboys